Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

what type of oil filter removing device do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
no more maxima...

what type of oil filter removing device do you use?

So what type of oil wrench do you use? I used a few types already and no success with any type. I used a #5 oil socket, some type of metal strap and some red jaws type object. None were able to remove my filter.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I have also tried several different types. I've used those that have two large jaws and resemble a big pair of pliars...these seem to be easiest as you can reach up and grab the filter...however,the jaws can crush the cansiters on cheap filters making them tougher to get off if the first attempt fails. I have also used a Facom strap wrench which slips over the filter and then you tighten a **** on the bottom of the handle to adjust the stainless steel strap...nice tool. I have also had to resort to a Craftsman adjustable (rubber) strap wrench on a couple filters that were damaged by the pliars described first.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:54 AM

I used the "cap" type from walmart by itself or with a 3/8 retchet ... works pretty good when accessing from wheel well.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:40 PM

I use the cap type thing and a ratchet too
Old 03-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

I use the large pliers type. I can grab it near the base where it threads in. It seems to be stronger there...I've had no problem removing them.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:02 PM

Strap wrench here. Couldn't find the right sized end filter wrench.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:12 PM
† ErV †

channel locks...

actually only time i had to use anything other than my hands was last time i did a change

Old 03-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
channel locks...

actually only time i had to use anything other than my hands was last time i did a change
Either your filter isn't on tight enough or you are one strong son of a biscuit eater.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:16 AM
eturnl

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Either your filter isn't on tight enough or you are one strong son of a biscuit eater.
I've always used my hands... i dont know how tight you guys get it!

Old 03-27-2004, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by eturnl
I've always used my hands... i dont know how tight you guys get it!
I put it on hand tight every time. After the rubber seal gets hot and expands, it's not coming off with my hands. It even takes some effort with a strap or filter wrench to get it loosened.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I never have to use any tools, and I turn it the proper amount (~3/4 turn) after it starts to get tight every time...
Guess the mating surface on mine is smoother or something
Old 03-27-2004, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
I never have to use any tools, and I turn it the proper amount (~3/4 turn) after it starts to get tight every time...
Guess the mating surface on mine is smoother or something
Admit it, you're as strong as an Ox.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:16 PM

if you can't get it off with your hands it's on too tight! i used channel locks the last time the morrons at the oil change place changed my oil (it sucks being at college w/ no tools)
Old 03-27-2004, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Dude_9303]if you can't get it off with your hands it's on too tight!/QUOTE]

Now that's an interesting concept.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dude_9303
if you can't get it off with your hands it's on too tight! i used channel locks the last time the morrons at the oil change place changed my oil (it sucks being at college w/ no tools)
It should never be on tighter than that. There is not reason to have to use any type of wrench to take the filter off. If most people would read what it says on the filter and follow the instructions they would know that.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
It should never be on tighter than that. There is not reason to have to use any type of wrench to take the filter off. If most people would read what it says on the filter and follow the instructions they would know that.
Do you also have forearms like Popeye? I follow the directions on the filter and it is still too tight for me to take off w/o a wrench. Maybe my tightening strength is stronger than my loosening strength.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I use my manly hands. We were doing my friends oil change and he forgot his filter socket thing and asked if I had one. I didn't and told him to use his hands. He was surprised that it actually came off pretty easy, after I secretly loosened it for him.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:25 PM
no more maxima...

Well I went to NAPA today and bought a metal oil filter socket. Did the job perfectly. Costed $13 bucks canadian with tax.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I finally changed my oil for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Those damn oil change places and dealerships must use an impact wrench on the filter and the drain plug. It was pretty hard to get both of them loosened. The filter definitely could not have been removed by hand. I had to break down and buy a oil filter cap wrench to get the filter off. It was about $7 from courtesy nissan (it happens to be about 5 miles away from where I live). It fits onto a 3/8" drive socket. You could probably find the same thing at just about any auto parts store. Now I can use my torque wrench to tighten both. I'm a pretty **** person, and I figure, if they put a torque spec on a bolt, there is a reason for it.

One of my friends suggested jamming a screwdriver into the filter, since you're going to be tossing it anyways.

Either way, good luck.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by schmatt
I finally changed my oil for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Those damn oil change places and dealerships must use an impact wrench on the filter and the drain plug. It was pretty hard to get both of them loosened. The filter definitely could not have been removed by hand. I had to break down and buy a oil filter cap wrench to get the filter off. It was about $7 from courtesy nissan (it happens to be about 5 miles away from where I live). It fits onto a 3/8" drive socket. You could probably find the same thing at just about any auto parts store. Now I can use my torque wrench to tighten both. I'm a pretty **** person, and I figure, if they put a torque spec on a bolt, there is a reason for it.

One of my friends suggested jamming a screwdriver into the filter, since you're going to be tossing it anyways.

Either way, good luck.
Do you have to remove the wheel well liner in order to use the cap wrench?

I know many people have done it, but be careful doing the screwdriver trick...if the filter is on there too tightly, the filter casing may tear from the force of trying to turn it loose with the screwdriver...then you're really in trouble. I've had to help a couple folks who got into a bad situation trying this technique...the casing tore, making a big mess and making it almost impossible to find a good location to get any sort of tool on it. Cap or strap wrenches work well as they distribute the force evenly, preventing damage to the old filter.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
no more maxima...

I never had to remove my wheel in order to use my cap/socket wrench.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:34 PM

You definitely do not have to remove the wheel well liner. It's plastic, so it will bend easily to get out of the way of your wrench. Anyways, the oil filter cap wrench worked excellent. I would go ahead and get one if I were you.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
Do you have to remove the wheel well liner in order to use the cap wrench?

I know many people have done it, but be careful doing the screwdriver trick...if the filter is on there too tightly, the filter casing may tear from the force of trying to turn it loose with the screwdriver...then you're really in trouble. I've had to help a couple folks who got into a bad situation trying this technique...the casing tore, making a big mess and making it almost impossible to find a good location to get any sort of tool on it. Cap or strap wrenches work well as they distribute the force evenly, preventing damage to the old filter.
I just turn my wheels to the extreme right to gain access to the filter area.. I have been there and done that with the screwdriver trick. It was a royal pain to finally get the thing off. I fought with it for at least 10 minutes.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:44 PM

never had a problem removing my filter with my hand. I don't know why yours is on so tight. Probably some local idiot at the garage ratcheted too tight.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:31 PM

i used my hands with mech gloves on.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:59 AM

ive used just gloves or some filter wrench pliars... they bite right into the filter and dont let go.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Here's an oil filter install tip:

Tighten the filter 3/4 of a turn AFTER IT INITALLY CONTACTS THE ENGINE BLOCK then back off about 1/3 of a turn. This allows the rubber gasket to compress and expand so that the filter seals good against the block, yet you'll be able to take it off in the future.

You should only need your hands to take the filter off.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by bill99gxe
Here's an oil filter install tip:

Tighten the filter 3/4 of a turn AFTER IT INITALLY CONTACTS THE ENGINE BLOCK then back off about 1/3 of a turn. This allows the rubber gasket to compress and expand so that the filter seals good against the block, yet you'll be able to take it off in the future.

You should only need your hands to take the filter off.
You need a filter wrench to remove most filters because it gives you added leverage. An oil filter that is too loose can leak as well as one that is too tight.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:06 AM
white98se

Hand tighten, 1/4 turn past that. Loosens without problem most of the time.
Strap wrench if leverage is an issue. I change from under car.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Handsome

I put it on hand tight every time. After the rubber seal gets hot and expands, it's not coming off with my hands. It even takes some effort with a strap or filter wrench to get it loosened.

Always put a dab of oil around the rubber seal before you put the filter on. I have changed oil for some people who take their cars to wal-mart and many times the rubber seal has been ripped off in the past and just left stuck to the block, always put a little oil on that seal before you put it back on.

I don't use a wrench, I have never needed to. What I use is a rubber pad that women use to open tight jar lids (you can pick these up anywhere.)
Old 04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I just use my hand. Sometimes if its really tight then I use a piece of sandpaper for grip.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

You need a filter wrench to remove most filters because it gives you added leverage. An oil filter that is too loose can leak as well as one that is too tight.

If you follow my tips, you will not have a leaky filter. Putting it on too tight is worse than too loose. Much easire to tighten than loosen. Much easier to tell if the filter is too loose.

But that's a moot point, as I've never had a leak issue with a filter a little over 1/2 turn engaged after first tightening up 2/3 to 3/4 of a turn.

You DO NOT need a filter wrench on a filter for the VQ engine. It's too easy to get to with a hand.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Pizda Boy

i used a wrench in the past...
went to casey's house (maximagtr420) to change my oil last weekend & he didn't have a wrench... i drained my oil & couldn't take the filter off..
i had to put a screw driver through it & after 10 minutes of battling with it, i got it off...
now i just tighten it with my hand & i figured i'll take it off with my hand too...

Sam
Old 04-09-2004, 02:44 PM

You only need to hand tighten it. I've done it hundreds of times, and have never had a problem. And I'm a skinny little white boy, not some huge meat heat.

If you get it too tight you can damage the gasket and cause a leak.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:15 AM

Hand tight plus a 1/4 turn. Just don't take your car to a quick lube place, you'll need an impact wrench to get that sucker off.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:21 PM

I put the filter on by hand, but can never remove it by hand, for some reason.

I've tried a strap wrench, which just seems to slip on the filter. I've tried to use a filter wrench, but it has poorer grip than a strap wrench.

I have a cap wrench, but it doesn't fit a fram filter ( the kind I used last oil change ).

Then there's the claw. I have a lot of respect for this tool; it bites in and crushes the filter, offering ample grip.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:45 PM

I can usually take it off with just my hands, if I install it CORRECTLY. If you read the directions, you really don't need it on that tight. The gasket on those is one strong mother F-er.

If I ever can't get it off, I just use the screwdriver method. I like that way anyways, because you can drain the oil accurately and into the pan before you pull off the filter. And it usually helps get out the pent up anger from not being able to get it off with your hands in the first place.

Oh... JetSam... FRAM!!!!????????????? That's a definite 4 letter word when talking about oil filters.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:12 AM

I recently bought a Facom strap wrench and it works great. A stainless steel band slips over the filter; you tighten it down by turning a **** on the bottom of the handle, and it will rachet to loosen the filter. You are all correct in that if the filter is installed correctly, it will come off by hand; but when you need a good wrench, you need it. The Facom is a top quality tool and it can be used on filters with a wide range of diameters.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:55 PM
BOSS

my hands

Old 05-03-2004, 11:59 PM

Use a chain wrench. You hook the chain around the filter, and by pulling on the handle...the chain grips and twists the old filter off. It's also good for holding pulleys while you unbolt them. Or, some good gloves by hand.

Quick Reply: what type of oil filter removing device do you use?