Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

sea foam hose???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BTW, definitely use this stuff on a WARM engine, not cold. We tried it on another org member's car yesterday... first treatment went through cold, and it didn't smoke very much (plus it didn't studder when she started it up...)
Did it a second time with the engine WARM, and it was much better... (much harder to start/keep running, and it smoked a lot more)
In my experience (did it 3 times) I always did it on a WARM engine, and it smoked a lot (plus it was hard to keep it from stalling after I first started it up)
Old 09-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Ok I just did it on my 94 GXE (vg engine) through the brake booster hose. The engine was warmed up to operating temperature before doing the procedure.

It didn't seem to do much... I sucked up more than half the can... and during sucking it up the engine revved a bit and came close to stalling a few times but that's about it. I did find a leaking hose in the engine compartment that was pouring out smoke as it was sucking up the seafoam... It's connected to what I believe is the EGR valve(I don't know too much about engines)... it's a tiny little hose that has a small hole in it. So it's good that I noticed that.

So then I turned the car off for 20-25 mins... then restarted it. It started up fine, no hesistation at all or anything and it never even smoked. Not even a bit. I revved it and everything... it just wouldn't smoke. I don't get it.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:30 AM

Here in BC, I couldn't find Sea Foam, so I am going to use GM Top End cleaner, or Cleens (same thing as the GM dealer claim). The bottle I bought is madeby AC Delco.

I did what JaTan suggested by removing the top part first, but I still can't loose the bottom part. I really didn't want to force it, because I don't want to break it.

Anyway, I have two options:

1. Using a spray can. When I email the GM dealer, they said it comes with spray can. I am thinking about spray into the horizontal opening (red circle in the JaTan's picture).

2. Go to Home Depot and get another rubber tube, attached to the opening (and probably tape it) to do the sucking.

So far, it seems option 1 is easier, but then I am wondering if I use a small spray tube (like one come with WD40), which is a lot smaller than the opening, which mean more air will suck in, does it will cause the engine to stall faster (i.e. harder to keep it running)?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:01 PM

HI guys, how exactly to use seafoam? just pure it in and let it smoke out? any write up about this? i need to clean my engine badly..
Old 09-07-2004, 04:36 PM

Saw the ad paper for AutoZone (either last Wed. or Thurs.) and they actually had SeaFoam for $3.99 so I guess they'll be selling them now

You can let it get sucked in from the red circle (kind of hard to do it sideways) that's why I said it's easier to let it get sucked in from the blue circle since it already points down. Just disconnect the hose where the red circle is and pull up real hard (kind of hard to do since there isn't much room b/c of the hood), but if you keep pulling up and twisting it a little, the hose should come off where the blue circle is.

Maybe I should make a "how to use SeaFoam video"

EDIT - You can also do it from here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=327566
Old 09-07-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
HI guys, how exactly to use seafoam? just pure it in and let it smoke out? any write up about this? i need to clean my engine badly..
How lazy can you be? Read this thread...
Old 04-22-2005, 09:51 AM

ha ha ha ha ha
Old 04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

Originally Posted by mrgreek
ha ha ha ha ha
wow your about 7 months late
Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM

mrgeek, might say that's the story of his life, lol!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 AM

I just let the car suck abt 1/4 can ... will wait for another 20 minutes before i go back and start the car ... hopefully it should smoke lots

Does lotsa smoke indicate that the seafoam did its job or does 'no smoke' indicate the there is not much carbon buildup ???

Like JaTaN said, i too used the Dannon fruit cup Boy it was really tough pulling the hose from the brake booster, i mean the blue circle ... i'm damn sure my car was never touched before or cleaned ...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:50 AM

I think people mentioned in the past that white smoke is just the SeaFoam burning off, but gray smoke is SeaFoam and some carbon burning out

Mine was gray the first and second time I used it, but now it just comes out white. I do a lot more highway driving than before
Old 04-30-2005, 01:05 PM

hmm ... it didn't smoke much but just a little , maybe it was gray which is hard to see Anyways, that first application was when the engine wasn't really warm ... i just started the engine waited till the rpm came down to like 650, shut the engine down, then let the brake booster line suck the liquid (less than or abt 1/4 can) and switched the engine off. After 30 minutes, i started it ... didn't see much smoke, but i went for a 5 mile ride including a run on freeway, didn't see much smoke on the road either, and then again repeated the process just a while ago with the engine being warm ... i'll start it after 20 minutes to see if it smoke white/gray

It's easy to do this method but I should say those clips are a PITA ;-)
Old 04-30-2005, 01:32 PM

omg, funniest thing is the kid askin how to rev the car and look at the engine at the same time.... good lord...

anyway, i highly discourage putting seafoam into the crankcase without changing it immediately after a short run. you will see all the crap it cleaned out, but if you dont change it, it will run it through the motor for the 3,000+ miles...

gas tank is just a waste of time and money,

brake booster is the only way to go. suck it through, let it sit for an hour, start it and run it hard for a few miles. then youre good to go.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:02 PM

ya i think it's waste of money to put it into gas tank ... think Techron is better ..

now, update on the second application ... it did smoke little more than what it did the first time ... not white smoke but gray I then took out for a ten minute drive and then looks like it's fine ... i guess we don't necessarily see much difference if the engine is already in good shape Maybe the previous owner got the engine cleaned regularly ... i haven't noticed any better throttle response or whatsoever ... i gotta change oil tomorrow, i did drop abt half can of seafoam into crankcase just a while ago and went on a 20 mile roundtrip ... first thing tomorrow is oil change
Old 05-07-2005, 05:24 PM

i followed the directions you guys have laid out for me, and it smoked like i had caught the back end of my car on fire.... neighbors looked a little concerned when i didnt seem to care at all. The thing is.. i cant see any difference in driving... is it an immediate change? I noticed one thing is that i didnt slowly let the hose suck up the liquid, i just let it go nuts... i did let the car sit for about 20 minutes, and when i started it up it smoked again like crazy... it seemed i did everything right, just wondering why i cant tell a difference in the way it drives...
Old 05-07-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by CUSEMAX
... it seemed i did everything right, just wondering why i cant tell a difference in the way it drives...
It probably wasn't crapped up very much.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:38 PM

i have 144,000 miles on my car... i think it must have been crapped up by now, esp since my knock sensor went bad last year and i dindt replace it for a while since my car was cali spec... plus o2 sensors were bad, all needed to be replaced, there had to be some Carbon build up somewhere...
Old 05-08-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by CUSEMAX
i have 144,000 miles on my car... i think it must have been crapped up by now, esp since my knock sensor went bad last year and i dindt replace it for a while since my car was cali spec... plus o2 sensors were bad, all needed to be replaced, there had to be some Carbon build up somewhere...
Shoulda been crapped up then. We did a buddy's truck at 40K miles and it fouled all the plugs.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:29 PM
ILLJIM69

Originally Posted by JaTaN

Push those clips inside of the red circle out then disconnect the hose at that spot. Now move the clip inside of the blue circle up then just pull up as hard as you can. It should come out. When it comes out, put everything back the way it is at the red circle. Now start your car and let the SeaFoam get sucked in from the hose where the blue circle is.
okay, im sure im an idiot and all, but whats the point of disconnecting the hose in the red circle if youre just going to put it back before sucking the stuff up? wouldnt you just take the one in the blue circle off and use that?

jim

Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ILLJIM69
okay, im sure im an idiot and all, but whats the point of disconnecting the hose in the red circle if youre just going to put it back before sucking the stuff up? wouldnt you just take the one in the blue circle off and use that?

jim
When people were trying for the first time, they had problems trying to get the hose off, so this way you can twist and pull. You don't have to do it that way, but it's easier if it's the first time doing it
Old 05-10-2005, 07:05 PM

I purchased Seafoam yesterday. I have never used or hear of Seafoam until reading about it here and reading other info on it afterward. I will follow your (JaTaN) directions tomorrow . By the way your directions are very clear and easy to follow. Great job! A person would have to be an idiot not to be able to follow those directions.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Just used Seafoam today and it smoked a little bit. No big forest fire and the smoke was white for the most part.

The engine feels smoother though, I could barely tell it was running. I'll have real results when I see my gas mileage increase.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

when you remove the air intake to get to the throttle body, there is gasket on the TB, is this something that i can reuse or should replace when i use the sea foam deep creep? i have the 94 gxe witht the SOHC if that helps?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Hey i used this stuff this mornin it smoked but not crazy. i have..85K miles on it. A friend who used to work for Murray's said that it will foul up plugs, damage cat and oxygen sensors. For all those who have used it. Any negative effects of using it?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by wannaboostbad
Hey i used this stuff this mornin it smoked but not crazy. i have..85K miles on it. A friend who used to work for Murray's said that it will foul up plugs, damage cat and oxygen sensors. For all those who have used it. Any negative effects of using it?
It messed up my plugs when I did it the otrher day. They only had 1000 miles on them and I had to buy new ones. Had the same thing happen to a friend's truck once too.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:02 PM

hmm.... the difference is immediate. Like, you wont notice a drastic accel. difference, but EVERYTHING will be much smoother. I did it for the first time at 120k and it was like running a new car from what I was used to.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:35 PM

i'll prob do this really soon but don't wanna risk any damage to other parts. from what i read, i guess the most common problems due to seafoam is o2 sensors failing
Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 PM

sweet, my next "mod". i just hope i dont need new O2 sensors or plugs cuz i JUST replaced both. :-/

cant you technically remove all o2 sensors during the seafoam process, then replace when yer done... ?

Devin
Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Brain phuck

Originally Posted by quasidynamic
sweet, my next "mod". i just hope i dont need new O2 sensors or plugs cuz i JUST replaced both. :-/

cant you technically remove all o2 sensors during the seafoam process, then replace when yer done... ?

Devin

That's exactly what I was thinking

Also, I'm still not understanding the "10 chars" thing.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by smotz
That's exactly what I was thinking

Also, I'm still not understanding the "10 chars" thing.
theres a minimum of 10 characters when you post. so if someone's comment happens to be less that 10 characters, they just add in "10 chars" to make up the difference...
Old 08-13-2005, 09:13 PM

My local NAPA only had this in a spray can. Is this the same stuff as the stuff you guys are pouring out? Can i still use it and just squirt it out into a container or something?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by aussie983
My local NAPA only had this in a spray can. Is this the same stuff as the stuff you guys are pouring out? Can i still use it and just squirt it out into a container or something?

If it says Seafoam Deep Creep on the can its a different product.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 AM

What you need: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
Stores that have it: http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm (also seen it at AutoZone and Murray's Discount)
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 AM

Is it recommended to change the oil even after running seafoam through the brake booster hose
Old 09-11-2005, 10:32 AM
我爱台湾

Used seafoam for the first time this morning. All I can say is WOW. The car REALLY smoked for about 15- 20 minutes. Also noticed some smoke from under the hood (possible exhaust leak?). I did notice that the car ran smoother and quieter. I used the small vaccum hose that connects on my CAI midpipe. Used a cup off of a clothes detergent bottle, filled it to the rim and let the vaccum suck it up. Cut off the car for about 10-15 minutes and then cranked it up. At first didn't notice any smoke or anything and the car was very warm but then as I revved it up, voila Instant White Smoke. Right now i have a pint in the gas tank and I will throw the rest in the crankc ase. Will post results after riding on it for about 500 miles.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys,
I guess some body asked above about the FPR, where is this and how we can clean it or get it out.
I waste today 3 hours with our friendly NISSAN Dealer to explain for him what is FPR, but I coudn't show him the location.
MAX2000GV.
Pleeeeeeeease help in that....
I fed up searching for an answer.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:07 PM

no negative effects yet, buts its only been 2 oil change since i used it. I personally used a poland spring bottle cut a little over 1/3 of the siz of the seafoam can.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 PM

No, you shouldn't have to. It doesn't end up in the crankcase.
Originally Posted by superblack99
Is it recommended to change the oil even after running seafoam through the brake booster hose
Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 AM

i've heard about this seafoam stuff recently, still not sure if i should try it or not..