Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Finally decided to change the ATF - my story

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:36 AM

Finally decided to change the ATF - my story

After a few weeks of hesitation, last weekend I finally decided the change the ATF with 100000 km on the counter. ( I was hesitating, not the tranny).

I was hesitating because I do not know if the previous owner had done it. (I purchased the Max at 68000 km). There seems to be a discussion that for best reliability and tranny longevity, change the ATF every 50000 km , or if you wait too long, might as well not do it. Changing ATF too late is risky. There are posts mentioning trannies started slipping after a late ATF change. This is caused by the old fluid having very small debris and metal particles and shavings in it, which increases friction (and unfortunately abrasion and wear) around the clutches and the bands. Remove these debris and particles, you decrease friction, thus increase slipping.

I used the “power flush” method. I rolled the Max’s front wheels up on ramps, removed the driver side under plastic guard, disconnected the ATF cooler return line, and replaced it with a clear 3/8 I.D. vinyl tubing leading the expelled fluid in an empty windshield washer can.

I enrolled my 15 year sweetheart daughter to sit in the drivers seat and start and stop the engine on my command, while I was watching the fluid being pumped out in the can through the vinyl hose. After approximately a half gallon dump, I gave my daughter the clue to stop the engine, poured in through the gauge stick 2 liters of fresh fluid using a turkey baster purchased at the nearest dollar store, and gave the clue to my daughter to start the engine again for the next half gallon flush. I flushed and filled 12 liters (3 gallons).

This procedure was really easy to do. My sweetheart even thought it was fun. She even moved the shifter out of P to engage RND21 within the short 15 second or so period it takes to pump out half a gallon. Yes I had pulled very tight the cable brake!

The whole job took less than an hour. The subsequent test drive showed a slighter smoother shift between gears, and no slipping, thank God.

Next ATF flush will be in 50000 km this time. Next time I will be more thorough and I will drop the pan, and clean the magnets and the filter. Maybe the Max will belong to my sweetheart’s then, who knows? I give more TLC to my daughter and her belonging’s than my own stuff!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Glad it worked out for you I hate not knowing what service my car had done when I bought it (37k). So really to err on the side of caution it's best to just do everything over again
Old 11-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Good job.

It's one of the easiest, cheapest, and wisest maintenance items to take care of yourself.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bill99gxe
Good job.

It's one of the easiest, cheapest, and wisest maintenance items to take care of yourself.

I agree. Yet the owner's manual does not specify an ATF change for normal usage! The owners' manual for my 2002 Odysey does recommend an ATF change every 40000 km though, even for normal service.