Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

How to flush automatic transmission fluid? What ATF to use? How to check the level?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Oh really? It actually states matic-D? That would make me feel warm and fuzzy and sleep better at night. But, sorry t.h., I have $70 of Mobile 1 in my transmission right now. There's no way I am dumping that out. But if I could do it all over again, I would go with your Amsoil. Thanks anyway.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

No need to be sorry...just good info for others who are looking for a synthetic fluid that meets OEM requirements.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 12-30-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM

Here's what it looks like.
I drove it to operating temperature ( temp guage was middle). About 5 mins or so.
Car was then turned off. I might be a tad on the high?

What do you guys think?
thank you

Last edited by FishyMan; 12-30-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 PM

^^^

It's a bit too high. I'd suggest siphoning some out.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 PM

like stick an air line tube down the dipstick?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by FishyMan
like stick an air line tube down the dipstick?

Yup, I have a line of tubing (very small 1/4" I think) that I got from Home Depot.

I hook it up to a suction device (looks like a big syringe) and siphon out any extra.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 PM

I was gonna just change my ATF, since it's been a while but notice I only have 2 bottles lol. So i'll pick up some more and then drain, refill. Thanks for your method.s
Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Licensed to Spell

This is a total f.ing nightmare. I am so p.ed. My car won't engage in reverse. It engages in drive but not reverse.

As a reminder:
I did a full flush using Jime's method. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF which I bought 1.5+ years ago and has been sitting in my garage sealed. It clearly reads "Dexron III" on the package.

I was short a few quarts and when purchasing today's Mobil 1, it only reads "Mercon V" on the package. I ended up using 3 quarts.

I also installed a Hayden 403 cooler at the same time.

Within 2 drives (maybe 30-50 miles tops) my car won't engage reverse!!!!!!!!!

Is it the Mobil 1 in general? Is it because I used 1.5 year old Mobil 1? Is it because I added 3 quarts of Mercon V? Are the two fluids not compatible? Is it all coincidence and my tranny was ready to go anyway (I do have 100,000 miles and I have been supercharged since 80,000 miles). Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Is my tranny toast or, if I go back to conventional ATF, will my reverse start engaging???

This blows. No one buy/use Mobile 1, o.k.? It's not worth it.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 AM

This is a total f.ing nightmare. I am so p.ed. My car won't engage in reverse. It engages in drive but not reverse.

As a reminder:
I did a full flush using Jime's method. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF which I bought 1.5+ years ago and has been sitting in my garage sealed. It clearly reads "Dexron III" on the package.

I was short a few quarts and when purchasing today's Mobil 1, it only reads "Mercon V" on the package. I ended up using 3 quarts.

I also installed a Hayden 403 cooler at the same time.

Within 2 drives (maybe 30-50 miles tops) my car won't engage reverse!!!!!!!!!

Is it the Mobil 1 in general? Is it because I used 1.5 year old Mobil 1? Is it because I added 3 quarts of Mercon V? Are the two fluids not compatible? Is it all coincidence and my tranny was ready to go anyway (I do have 100,000 miles and I have been supercharged since 80,000 miles). Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Is my tranny toast or, if I go back to conventional ATF, will my reverse start engaging???

This blows. No one buy/use Mobile 1, o.k.? It's not worth it.
I've been using Mobil 1 ATF for the last 60K miles with no problems. You're fine with the Mercon V, that is just Mobil's new bottle.

Go back and check your fluid level while HOT. That means you need to run your car to operating temperature, get on level ground and check the fluid level while the engine is running.

It sounds like you may be over filled.

Last edited by 2002 Maxima SE; 01-03-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM

First check the top and bottom stems of the cooler after a drive, they should be hot. If one is cold then there is a block right there, get the cooler of the path.

Second hand touch and feel the temp of the tranny pan, it should not be any hotter than the power steering aluminum tubing that comes to the front of the car, near the bumper.

Third, with engine on check the fluid levels. Your tranny is not going to get toast with old ATF or a quart more/less, or any of the other little issues. Did the dash log any CES lights?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
I've been using Mobil 1 ATF for the last 60K miles with no problems. You're fine with the Mercon V, that is just Mobil's new bottle.

Go back and check your fluid level while HOT. That means you need to run your car to operating temperature, get on level ground and check the fluid level while the engine is running.

It sounds like you may be over filled.
You're sure Mercon V is okay for our tranmissions?
Yes, I have checked the fluid while hot - I am about 3/4 up on the hatched portion of the hot side of the dipstick.

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
First check the top and bottom stems of the cooler after a drive, they should be hot. If one is cold then there is a block right there, get the cooler of the path.

Second hand touch and feel the temp of the tranny pan, it should not be any hotter than the power steering aluminum tubing that comes to the front of the car, near the bumper.

Third, with engine on check the fluid levels. Your tranny is not going to get toast with old ATF or a quart more/less, or any of the other little issues. Did the dash log any CES lights?
I'll check the temperature of the lines like you said but I don't think I should go for a drive. I'll need to do this at idle.
No SES lights.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 PM

You're sure Mercon V is okay for our tranmissions?
What, no love?

Just check out Mobil's site:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

Recommended on Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron III-H
Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM

I have been using Mercon V for almost 60K miles, no problems whatsoever.

MerconV is semi-syn since Ford expects tight visocity ranges.
DexronIII is a dumbass fluid where you will start at 8cSt and end up at 5cSt in the matter of 10K miles. Bad fluid for Nissan trannies which are known to be brutal on fluids.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Licensed to Spell

Well, it turns out that my trans. is toast. I dropped it off at a shop last Friday. The owner/mechanic swears that my synthetic fluid exchange had nothing to do with it. But it does seem like a very odd coincidence. ??

There goes $2,000+ that could have been spent on other things.... :S
Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

MY owners manual has a nice warning that states ONLY use Genuine Nissan Type-K AT fluid. The Tranny shop that did my 30K service was going to use AMISOL and I showed him the manual and he decided against it and ordered the Genuine Nissan AT fluid from the dealer, still zero problems...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
MY owners manual has a nice warning that states ONLY use Genuine Nissan Type-K AT fluid. The Tranny shop that did my 30K service was going to use AMISOL and I showed him the manual and he decided against it and ordered the Genuine Nissan AT fluid from the dealer, still zero problems...
Amsoil will work fine with your tranny, it's formulated to work in all the 5-speed auto nissan trannies(I own one that uses J)

I am going to swap the tranny and diff fluids before too long.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cutler
Amsoil will work fine with your tranny, it's formulated to work in all the 5-speed auto nissan trannies(I own one that uses J)

I am going to swap the tranny and diff fluids before too long.
For the tranny right now I will stick with the Genuine Nissan stuff (and I recommend anyone with a tranny still under warrenty to follow the Nissan recommended fluid type). As for me, once I get the tranny upgrade at Level Ten, I may kick to Amsoil but right now I'm sticking with what my car loves...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM

For the tranny right now I will stick with the Genuine Nissan stuff (and I recommend anyone with a tranny still under warrenty to follow the Nissan recommended fluid type). As for me, once I get the tranny upgrade at Level Ten, I may kick to Amsoil but right now I'm sticking with what my car loves...
Mine is under warranty and I guarantee there won't be a problem, it's Nissan J-spec approved so they can't deny a claim based on their gayness.....
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Mine is under warranty and I guarantee there won't be a problem, it's Nissan J-spec approved so they can't deny a claim based on their gayness.....
With the Turbo, it's one battle I don't have to worry about any longer, I'm on my own...
Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 PM

With the Turbo, it's one battle I don't have to worry about any longer, I'm on my own...
"But sir it came with that turbo"
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i did that last drain and refill... 12 1/2 quarts total... hmmm nice and red....
Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 PM

"But sir it came with that turbo"
Just so long as I don't smile it may work...
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
What, no love?

Just check out Mobil's site:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

Recommended on Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron III-H
The new packaging does say MERC V.
However, I am wondering if it is backwards working or will harm system.
I picked up a bottle of ROYAL PURPLE ATF and it says it works with A LOT OF the ATF specs as well. Leads me to believe the fluid is catered to a lot.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:11 PM

how many quarts is need to do a drain and refill, no flush.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
MAXIN' ON

Originally Posted by gotendbz1
how many quarts is need to do a drain and refill, no flush.
I think the whole system holds about 10 qts. So say about 5-6 qts. Just check it as you go so you dont overfill.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by redls1
I think the whole system holds about 10 qts. So say about 5-6 qts. Just check it as you go so you dont overfill.

so a drain and refill only removes half the fluid? so should this be done twice to try to cahnge all flui dor is once enough?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by gotendbz1
so a drain and refill only removes half the fluid? so should this be done twice to try to cahnge all flui dor is once enough?
a single drain and refill will help. Any time you take out some bad fluid and replace it, it is helpful.

if you do a drain and refill, go drive around for ten minutes and then repeat. EVEN better!

i actually did a drain and refill 3x..
Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by redmaxpa007
a single drain and refill will help. Any time you take out some bad fluid and replace it, it is helpful.

if you do a drain and refill, go drive around for ten minutes and then repeat. EVEN better!

i actually did a drain and refill 3x..
that's what my tech did.

Drained, filled, lifted the car and put in drive, repeat 3x
Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
that's what my tech did.

Drained, filled, lifted the car and put in drive, repeat 3x
i used Amsoil though...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Cleaning Transmission Cooler

Before flushing I'd like to clean the transmission cooler. For this procedure Nissan recommends their Transmission Cooler Cleaner (Nissan P/N 999MP-AM006). Can I use another product, e.g. Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen instead? Is it compatible with Amsoil universal transmission fluid that I intend to use?

Last edited by danmaz; 03-13-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 PM

checked stickies.?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
checked stickies.?
I did, but didn't find Kooler Kleen, Nissan's Transmission Cooler Cleaner or the procedure itself mentioned on this forum.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fluid?

I have a 99' automatic GLE with overdrive, what kind of fluid should I use? I have been reading the posts and I called nissan and they kind of gave me the run around. My car has 39k on it so I kind of want to change the fluid just to keep proper maintnance.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bryantbl
I have a 99' automatic GLE with overdrive, what kind of fluid should I use? I have been reading the posts and I called nissan and they kind of gave me the run around. My car has 39k on it so I kind of want to change the fluid just to keep proper maintnance.
You can use either a petroleum or synthetic based fluid as long as it meets Nissan Matic-D or Dextron III specifications.

Petroleum fluids work. Generally speaking, synthetic fluids offer better high and low temperature performance, lower operating temperatures, better resistance to break-down and longer service life...
Old 03-21-2008, 03:16 PM

I have regular trans oil in my 96, with LubeGaurd Black in it. Is that stuff any good? Should I dump it all now and go with full Amsoil?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help

I just bought a Nissan Maxima 2003 and this is my first and I have never had a car before and do not know much about cars. Someone told me that I should change the Transmission Fluid. I also don't know, when the previous owner changed stuff. So I was going to a change all required things.

I greatly appreciate if anyone suggest me what things I should change and what brands are optimal for performance for a price a student to be able to manage.

I would appreciate the information.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Will the described procedure work for 5 speed auto transmission too? It doesn't have a pan, so the filter cannot be cleaned. Other than that, is there any other difference in the flushing process? Should I just drain it through the plug, fill, disconnect the cooler return line and perform the 2qt/20sec procedure?
Also, will it help to install an in-line filter (Magnefine)?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there a certain brand you recommend? If so, is it available at a store like autozone?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bryantbl
Is there a certain brand you recommend? If so, is it available at a store like autozone?

IMO I would stick with the Genuine Nissan Matic-K automatic transmission fluid like the warning states in our owners manual.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 AM
i SeE what you did therE

cough.......... Amsoil.... cough... cough
Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 PM

Yea, I went to Advance Auto and Autozone, all either one had was the Mobil1 Mercon V, no mention of Dexron III on that bottle. You guys are saying that it's definitely backwards compatible? Will it be fine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to flush automatic transmission fluid? What ATF to use? How to check the level?