Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

Wizard's 1999 5spd Dyno: 381HP/323TQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Wizard's 1999 5spd Dyno: 381HP/323TQ

Below is my new dyno as of 2/10/08
381HP and 323TQ at 12psi

Due to lack of time and knowledge (more on that later), I had the Maxima tuned by a professional named Justin Tenni from Tuning Concepts. Tuning was done using DynoXtreme’s shop and dynojet in Stanton, CA.

Sorry, but I can’t get the A/F to plot correctly. I’ve put a call in to Justin to see what the heck is going on. Graph shown is with a very aggressive tune.

Mods:
550cc Deatchwerks injectors
Z32 MAF
T-rex auxiliary fuel pump
Vortech Supercharger
2.62 pulley
Vortech BOV
New PWR aftercooler **
Cattman Gen III headers (ceramic coated inside and out)
Test pipe
Cattman catback
Fidanza FW
MEVI
Greddy EU

**Ditched my old Jackson Racing aftercooler setup for a new PWR aftercooler setup with supersized water pump (flows 9gpm vs 3gpm) and new heat exchanger with 10” (890cfm) fan.

As for the lack of knowledge, I couldn’t extend my revlimiter to 7200rpms so I figured I’d recruit some local help and get a good tune at the same time. I also was having a hard time getting my AFR to be dialed in at 14.7 at idle, as well as cold and warm start issues. Unfortunately, Justin wasn’t able to extend my revlimiter either, as the 99 ECU is completely cutting fuel (0.0 PW) at 6500rpms unlike what others have experienced in their 95-98 Maximas. I asked Justin to give Dandymax a call and pick his brain. After a lengthy conversation, no solutions came forth. Thanks anyway Dan, I really appreciate it! BTW, Justin seemed to be impressed with your knowledge! At the end of two days, Justin was able to tune my car, give me a perfect 14.7 AFR at idle, and I no longer have cold or warm start issues.

Driving impressions: Maxima is now a beast as I have mad torque steer in 3rd gear. LOL The Maxima is extremely fun to drive now and I've already punished a few modified EVO's and STI's.

I have a few mods up my sleeve, and if I can get up to 7200rpms, I believe I can break my goal of 400hp. Stay tuned. (no pun intended)

Pics to follow as well.

-James

Old 02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
nycnissans

very nice numbers.....hope I can come close to that this spring
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Nice numbers man. Got runfiles? How aggressively tuned was it? Is that with respect to AFR only or timing as well?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
very nice numbers.....hope I can come close to that this spring

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Nice numbers man. Got runfiles? How aggressively tuned was it? Is that with respect to AFR only or timing as well?
Thanks guys. It was tuned pretty aggressive with respect to both AFR and timing. Yes, I have some runfiles. But like I said, for some reason the A/F is all messed up, so that's worthless right now.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Great job James, very impressive.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Fantastic numbers! This might be a noob question, but is it the aftercooler that is keeping you down at 12 PSI with the 2.62 in pulley?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
3.5 in the works

Hey James, congrats! Justin told me what #'s the car made but I left it for you to post up of course..

That's the race gas tune right?

It's a shame about the zero pulsewidth - as I mentioned before to both of you, that's the first I've seen that so lucky you!! You might be able to get JWT to crack it for you, or swap to an earlier year ECU, but you'll have to deal with the differing emissions stuff and the NATS of course (plus I'm not sure if CA emissions laws will cause you trouble either)

Oh and did Justin ever follow up with Greddy about using the Sub Inj maps? He mentioned he was going to call them...

PS wonder if he needs help down in Texas, I'm pretty bored with my current job these days.. lol
Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Sick numbers man, any way to monitor knock?

How exactly did he adjust the timing? Pulled up top of course, but what about down low? Also did he take away fuel to stop the cold starts??

Again, great numbers man! Keep up the good work.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
3.5 in the works

With the TQ that SC is making no need to pull timing down low, and barely need to pull any up top probably either (on good octane, decent charge temps, clean chambers etc), maybe a degree to two up at 10-12psi. On the EU the easiest way to adjust cold start is to pull fuel on the water temp map...

Last edited by DandyMax; 02-26-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
With the TQ that SC is making no need to pull timing down low, and barely need to pull any up top probably either (on good octane, decent charge temps, clean chambers etc), maybe a degree to two up at 10-12psi. On the EU the easiest way to adjust cold start is to pull fuel on the water temp map...

You think? You see I'll be running 93 octane, no race fuel for me. Hey Wiz, are you using 1 step or 2 step colder plugs? THe water temp man, genius....lol

Last edited by 98MaXeDouT; 02-26-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
3.5 in the works

We'll have to hear from James if that was race gas, but maybe pull a couple degrees more if using 93 or 94, however i don't think you'll have to pull much as long as everything else is taken care of so the engine's not knock prone. Really you want to do this kind of tuning on a load based dyno though so you can really see what the best point is and yet stay safe.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Wild for Width

Very cool! Hope you can get that fuel cut issue figured out.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Offset Is Everything.

will we see you this Sunday at DynoXtreme?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Those are really nice numbers, and the hp curve is still going up at redline.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 AM
SC Overspinning Swapper!!

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Below is my new dyno as of 2/10/08
381HP and 323TQ at 12psi

Mods:
550cc Deatchwerks injectors
Z32 MAF
T-rex auxiliary fuel pump
Vortech Supercharger
2.62 pulley
Vortech BOV
New PWR aftercooler **
Cattman Gen III headers (ceramic coated inside and out)
Test pipe
Cattman catback
Fidanza FW
MEVI
Greddy EU ................
Great job James, I am very impressed with your numbers. Hope you can sort out your ECU rpm limit and overspin the shiz-nit out of that blower. There are very few Maximas with anything north of 375whp, and it would be very exciting to see you (or anyone else) hit the 400whp mark, especially with a VQ30.

As a side note.....I am aware that flow (CFM) >> pressure (psi), but its surprising to see you are only making 12 psi at 6500. I was making 13psi at 6500 with my mini-fridge sized air-to-air intercooler and my true-dual exhaust

Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by meximax
Great job James, I am very impressed with your numbers. Hope you can sort out your ECU rpm limit and overspin the shiz-nit out of that blower. There are very few Maximas with anything north of 375whp, and it would be very exciting to see you (or anyone else) hit the 400whp mark, especially with a VQ30.

As a side note.....I am aware that flow (CFM) >> pressure (psi), but its surprising to see you are only making 12 psi at 6500. I was making 13psi at 6500 with my mini-fridge sized air-to-air intercooler and my true-dual exhaust

Belt slippage? Maybe at 5500 and 6k??
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Holy Wizard... Thats why this thing is car of the month. Anyway noob questions

1. Do you think you could have pulled a couple extra WHP with a 00VI vs the mevi?

2. What trim blower are you using? (YSi trim?? Hint hint)

Anyway congrats.. This gives me hope that the VQ30 has potential.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tsaulz
Fantastic numbers! This might be a noob question, but is it the aftercooler that is keeping you down at 12 PSI with the 2.62 in pulley?
Yup, unfortunately. With a 2.62 pulley, I should be around 14psi and was hoping to hit 13psi and only have a 1psi loss with the new PWR aftercooler since it can flow 580CFM (vs mid 300CFM for my old Jackson Racing aftercooler) Two knowledgeable sources told me I should only lose 0.5 to 1psi at the most with my new setup. This kind of sucks, because I had a 2psi loss before with my old Jackson Racing aftercooler...and still do today.

But I know there is a definite decrease in charge temps vs my old aftercooler setup. New PWR has much more volume, and I changed pumps from a tiny 3gpm water pump to a 9gpm Bosch water pump (as used on Ford Lightning) along with a new PWR heat exchanger with a 890cfm fan mounted on it for additional cooling. With my dual intake temperature gauge, I can see the charge temps before and after the aftercooler. I haven't done this yet, as I finished installing the PWR aftercooler setup and had to immediately get it to the shop for the dyno session. I'm hoping to see a temperature difference of 75+ degrees, considering I saw a 60 degree change in temperature with my old Jackson Racing setup (heat exchanger didn't have a fan mounted to it either)

Here's a pic of the new PWR aftercooler (getting fully polished next Friday)

New PWR heat exchanger with fan (890cfm)

Hey James, congrats! Justin told me what #'s the car made but I left it for you to post up of course..

That's the race gas tune right?

It's a shame about the zero pulsewidth - as I mentioned before to both of you, that's the first I've seen that so lucky you!! You might be able to get JWT to crack it for you, or swap to an earlier year ECU, but you'll have to deal with the differing emissions stuff and the NATS of course (plus I'm not sure if CA emissions laws will cause you trouble either)

Oh and did Justin ever follow up with Greddy about using the Sub Inj maps? He mentioned he was going to call them...
Thanks Dan.

Yes, the graph shown is based on the race gas tune.

Never heard back from Justin regarding the Sub Inj maps.....thanks for the reminder. I'll follow up with him.

I'm definitely going to pursue getting past the revlimit....and will most likely need your help and Justin's.....

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
Sick numbers man, any way to monitor knock?

How exactly did he adjust the timing? Pulled up top of course, but what about down low? Also did he take away fuel to stop the cold starts??

Again, great numbers man! Keep up the good work.
I wasn't there for the tuning session. I'm not sure if he monitored knock or not. I don't have the EU setup to do so.

He pulled 2 degrees of timing up top. Down low, he started pulling timing at 2500 rpms and gradually more as the rpms increased. I'll look at my non-race gas MAP and see what he did as well.

Thanks.

Yup, the water temp map was utilized.

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
You think? You see I'll be running 93 octane, no race fuel for me. Hey Wiz, are you using 1 step or 2 step colder plugs? THe water temp man, genius....lol
1 step colder plugs. At 6300 + rpms, the max started to experience spark blow-out, but only sometimes. Weird. Spark plugs will need to be re-gapped from .034 to .031.

Will address remaining questions later on today.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Licensed to Spell

Good job Jimbo.

So what's your weight/power ratio now? Probably 7.5ish?

P.S. Post up in the SC forum.

Last edited by ptatohed; 02-28-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Pay to Play

Damn man! Thats some sweet #'s! congrats.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
3.5 in the works

Never heard back from Justin regarding the Sub Inj maps.....thanks for the reminder. I'll follow up with him.

I'm definitely going to pursue getting past the revlimit....and will most likely need your help and Justin's.....
I'll do what I can, it occurs to me there may be other options beyond what I've already mention to you and Justin, such as... perhaps another pulse width modulated controller could be added, would have to look into what's available.

I wasn't there for the tuning session. I'm not sure if he monitored knock or not. I don't have the EU setup to do so.

He pulled 2 degrees of timing up top. Down low, he started pulling timing at 2500 rpms and gradually more as the rpms increased. I'll look at my non-race gas MAP and see what he did as well.
Yeah I didn't think you'd need more than a couple degrees pulled on race gas.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM

congrat james very good numbers
Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
will we see you this Sunday at DynoXtreme?
Well, I was going to bring the Max but probably not dyno. I don't see the need to dyno again and spend $45. Ptatohed will dyno (If we can figure out his last minute problem)

Thanks man! I'm definitely going to pursue overcoming the revlimit problem as I mentioned before. This is definitely an exciting time, and I'm really looking forward to breaking 400hp. I really believe it's doable.

I agree. I have a slight feeling I have a very small boost leak or some other small issue I'm unaware of. A small part of me wants to remove the aftercooler, size up the perfect intercooler and see what happens.

Originally Posted by maxima92se
Holy Wizard... Thats why this thing is car of the month. Anyway noob questions

1. Do you think you could have pulled a couple extra WHP with a 00VI vs the mevi?

2. What trim blower are you using? (YSi trim?? Hint hint)

Anyway congrats.. This gives me hope that the VQ30 has potential.
1. I'm really on the fence on this one, but leaning towards yes, it would make a difference if I had the 00VI. You know, there's really only one way to find out. It may be time to install my complete 00VI kit that I've had sitting in my garage for the past year.

2. V2-SC
As for the YSi, it's on my list of things to do and research it/compare to T-trim.

Thank you as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:04 PM

holy crap. sick numbers
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM

niiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!

very great work, congratulations
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Licensed to Spell

What is a "YSi"?? Do you guys mean the V-2 SQ Si-Trim??

Regarding the PSI (12PSI on a 2.62" pulley), perhaps what's happening to you is what happened to me? I get 12PSI max. consistently on the street but only got 10PSI max. on the dyno? And the dyno operator said it was 'normal'. So Wizzy, if you got 12PSI on the dyno, what are you hitting on the streets?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
What is a "YSi"?? Do you guys mean the V-2 SQ Si-Trim??

Regarding the PSI (12PSI on a 2.62" pulley), perhaps what's happening to you is what happened to me? I get 12PSI max. consistently on the street but only got 10PSI max. on the dyno? And the dyno operator said it was 'normal'. So Wizzy, if you got 12PSI on the dyno, what are you hitting on the streets?
Ok one thing that doesnt make sense to me about this dyno operator's comment about "not enough load as real street" (paraphrased)... on TURBOS I can see that being the case. But from my personal experience and from seeing other turbos that Ive been in on the street, on the dynojets that we go to, boost is the same amount! But point is, that TURBOS are dependent on LOAD for their spooling and boosting. But a SUPERCHARGER?

Correct me if Im wrong, but AFAIK, superchargers are more directly influenced by RPM (being belt driven) than any other factor. So either Im missing something here (that some1 needs to teach me) or something else is going on here.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Beast Mode!!!

Beast mode!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Kevlo for President

Very Nice
Old 09-15-2008, 03:02 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

any updates so far buddy