Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

engine bay clean up

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Im afraid to do this now because of my projectors. I have done it twice before, but I didnt have the retro then
i was scared to do it with my aftermarket HIDs...but i did it anyway and never had any problems, hope that provides a little bit of comfort..
Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I forgot about that. That may be the epic FAIL of all time.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/368307-im-done-with-this-car.html

WOW!! ALL I CAN SAY IS...WOW! What a frickin toolbox. I think this guy gets the biggest dips*** award for the year!

Last edited by Joeker82; 09-30-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM

simple green + pressure washer haha
Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 AM
ef9

That looks absolutely beautiful!

Originally Posted by f.weezy.babii
just got mine cleaned he used a degreaser and it looks brand new

Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM

finaly cleaned her up

finaly cleaned the enging bay used purple power turned out good but my maf sensor seal on top had a crack maf filled up caused a horrible sputter had a spare maf i picked up at the junk yard so problem fixed. im going to repaint the park plug cover i did that almost 8 years ago with regular red spray paint suprised its lasted this long

Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine Flush LOL

Originally Posted by Joeker82
WOW!! ALL I CAN SAY IS...WOW! What a frickin toolbox. I think this guy gets the biggest dips*** award for the year!
OMG! That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Guys like this get what they deserve for not paying a hard working mechanic to do the job right.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I forgot about that. That may be the epic FAIL of all time.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...-this-car.html
yo i know this is an old thread but have you checked out this guy's other threads?!?!

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...em-add-hp.html

and this i believe was the thread he made BEFORE he washed out his engine with water

http://mustangforums.com/forum/gener...-question.html
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

degreaser and water sprayed off when shes still pretty hot works well on every car ive had. and by the way that mustang forum link (not sure how to quote things yet) is probably one of the funniest things ive ever read.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i was scared to do it with my aftermarket HIDs...but i did it anyway and never had any problems, hope that provides a little bit of comfort..
after some time..it does/might fawk your shiet up. its between detailing my engine bay and my ballast hanging haphazardly..i'm betting on the latter, but you never know

i need to detail my engine...i have to get some simple green i guess since its not as harsh as purple power. i'm scared i might mess up the wrinkle paint on my valve covers
Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
yo i know this is an old thread but have you checked out this guy's other threads?!?!

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...em-add-hp.html

and this i believe was the thread he made BEFORE he washed out his engine with water

http://mustangforums.com/forum/gener...-question.html
Oh man, I HAVE to bump this. My day was just made w/ those links. Full of WIN
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Oh man, I HAVE to bump this. My day was just made w/ those links. Full of WIN
lmao i saw the 2nd link years ago on a honda forum i was on. so i decided to to to the op's profile and see if he made any other crazy threads and sure enough, he did lmao
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM

I just got home from the local car wash. I used the Advance Auto Parts spray degreaser and the low pressure washer, my engine bay looks really clean now. I can actually see the paint on my firewall now. My next task is to clean my stained carpet.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
lmao i saw the 2nd link years ago on a honda forum i was on. so i decided to to to the op's profile and see if he made any other crazy threads and sure enough, he did lmao
It should be stickied for EPICness

---------------------------------------------

For the engine bay, I see some folks w/ black tape that's nice, neat, and quite new looking. Do you simply cover the old tape w/ the new tape, or completely replace the old tape w/ new tape?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by f.weezy.babii
just got mine cleaned he used a degreaser and it looks brand new

Looks really nice!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a bunch of white stuff on my battery near the clamp (not the connectors). Is it safe to jump? I need to get it somewhere so the battery can be replaced, I don't like touching them.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by atalien
i have a bunch of white stuff on my battery near the clamp (not the connectors). Is it safe to jump? I need to get it somewhere so the battery can be replaced, I don't like touching them.
if youre worried about it you can get a battery terminal cleaner for a couple bucks. or even easier just pressure wash the corrosion off for a short term solution

with pressure washing engine bays i know i said a long time ago in this thread that on the 3rd gen i just used a scrubber and cloth because of problems some people had with pressure washing. i pressure washed the Supras engine bay (covering dizzy cap/air filter/spark plug holes with bags) and it worked fine. same with my truck, i changed the oil and left the oil cap off ( ) so i had a oil explosion errywhere. pressure washed it with no problems. just make sure you run it at idle for 15 minutes afterwards

even though the myth that you can crack your block washing the engine hot could be true, people i work with always wash engines warm and nothing has happened so i dunno
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I guess i'm worried if it is leaking the lead sulfate in the first place, if its gonna explode when i try to jump it off from another car. or would i be safer using one of those battery packs

i just want to get it to a place to swap the battery out and do the clean up for me. i know everyone here likes to do their own work, but i dont need to be touching acidic junk, i dont mind paying someone to do it
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Best thing I have found for the engine bay is motorcycle wash. I have a bike too and use spray on wash and hose off stuff to clean it. Works amazingly well in engine bay of cars. Just spray on and hose off a few minutes later and its spotless. No scrubbing or wiping required. "If" you don't have a greasy engine.