Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Can I use this to spray my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 PM

Can I use this to spray my car?

http://www.spraytechapex.com/portal/...x,,200671.html

I have used it for years to paint interiors of houses, but I don't know if I can use it for automotive paint.

What do you guys think?

It's an airless system so the paint acts as a form of lubricant over engine components until you clear it out and oil it.

Any conflicts you guys can think of? I'm thinking I would just have to flush it well afterward with mineral spirits.

Last edited by jasonaaronfox; 10-16-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Got Retrofit?

You should just try it out and see. I don't think anyone has used 1 of those on their car.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
You should just try it out and see. I don't think anyone has used 1 of those on their car.
Well, hopefully I'll give it a try some time around december. I'm waiting on a bk check to finish on a new job and I'll be moving to jacksonville fl. After that I'll have the free time to.

Any suggestions on paint? I'm on a budget; I want to make the car beige or brown; pref metallic, but I could live without it.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Got Retrofit?

Go with Pebble Beige Metallic or Sunlit Sand. They're both great. My car is Pebble Beige Metallic, when it's clean it looks great and when it's dirty you can't really tell.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Go with Pebble Beige Metallic or Sunlit Sand. They're both great. My car is Pebble Beige Metallic, when it's clean it looks great and when it's dirty you can't really tell.
How much is it a quart?

This gun goes through a gallon on it's lowest setting in about 15 minutes.

You have to be REALLY careful how you spray lol. I used it for finish work on trim molding once and learned the hard way how to not have runs.

One funny thing is you can always tell you're starting to get messed up from the paint when you're painting a house with one of these when the walls start to have runs and you're doing nothing different. Where it atomizes the paint and you're inhaling it so much you get doofy quick without ventilation.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
cocopooj

hmm i would give it a try. since you bought it already you might as well try it.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cocopooj
hmm i would give it a try. since you bought it already you might as well try it.
I've had the gun for about two years, I used to manage rental properties / flip houses / etc... when my son was born premature. Allowed me to stay home with him and still have income.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is how fast it shoots paint lol
Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 AM

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/m-696-vaper.aspx my company doesnt have a website but these guns are perfect for your application and priced pretty fairly. cost depends on the color but you will definatly need more than a quart. that house sprayer you are looking at is not what you need. it sprays at 2800 psi,lol youll go thru your quart in under a minute. these hvlp guns in this link run at 10 to 14 psi. the tip specially atomize the paint for perfect spray pattern and layout. now all you need is an airhose filter and compressor.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Isn't that a girl's name?

Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox
http://www.spraytechapex.com/portal/...x,,200671.html

I have used it for years to paint interiors of houses, but I don't know if I can use it for automotive paint.

What do you guys think?

It's an airless system so the paint acts as a form of lubricant over engine components until you clear it out and oil it.

Any conflicts you guys can think of? I'm thinking I would just have to flush it well afterward with mineral spirits.
No. You try to paint a car with that and you'll not only be down a few hundred from the wasted product, but a couple grand to have someone fix your mistake.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by SHIFT_maxboost
That looks pretty good.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM

please dont use the house sprayer....you need a igh volume low pressure spray gun and for $100 for a 3 gun kit. the biggest tip gun is for primer/filler and the medium tip sized gun is for paint and clear and the small one is for spot paneling or touch ups. perfect for the do it yourselfer. plus all that material would prolly cost you around a grand, for good quality paint and clearcoat. and like Morgan said itll be real expensive. youde end up having to strip it down to bare metal prolly. trust me workin for dupont i seen this dude paint a harley with house of kolor and under activated it, the paint was tacky for 3 weeks. luckily it was only a bike and it wasnt to much trouble to strip it all back off, but the wasted paint....oww.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

agreed...don't use a gun that sprays latex for your car.

reduced car paint is as thin as water.
the only down side is that you'll need a MASSIVE compressor to paint your entire car "correctly"...when i say massive i mean SCFM around 10 or more with 50+ gal tank.

you can do touch ups or a panel or two with a smaller gun/compressor but there's no way you can paint the entire car properly w/o a decent compressor.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 AM

Are you kidding me... Man dont use that latex spray painter for your car otherwise you will kill yourself after the pig job it will do to your car. If your serious about painting your car you need at least a 60 gallon compressor and a good HVLP spray gun ( you can find one for like 100$ ) and for most a NIOSH breathing mask ( you cant skip this one, as your life is what worth the most ), you also need a ventilation system, like a positive pressure ventilation in the room, otherwise your paint job will be full of grain and it's going to require a lot if sanding and polishing to make it shine.

If you only need to paint like a specific parts, you can use dupli color paint. I've painted few parts and finished it with a high temp clear coats since those parts where in the engine bay and the result is incredible as no body could say that I spay painted with a can, but when the preparation is well done you can achieve very nice result.

Good luck and if you have question pm me I'll be more than happy to help you.

* I forgot to say: The cost for my paint ( half a gallon of Sterling mist and a pint of purple ) + top quality primer & a gallon of clear coats, reducer, hardener, thinner, cost me 1900$ cdn. I have bought the best of the best. Just the clear coats is 400$ a gallon, but you can buy cheap clear coats for 80$ a gallon.

Last edited by doublea; 11-23-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 AM

Here is a Devillbiss starter kit: http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/finishstart.aspx