Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Swirls on black Max, car wash ban, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 AM

Swirls on black Max, car wash ban, etc.

Hey, my '05 Max is covered in swirl marks. I can't wash my car nearly as much as I used to because of the drought. We have a ban on car washing, even in my own yard. Neighbors get irate if they see you breaking the rules, but I do it every once in a while. The paint on this Max seems much more susceptible to swirl marks than my old '96 I-30t.

So, what's the best swirl remover for a black Max?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM

I use Meguiar's Scratch-X and Gold Class Swirl Remover and it works pretty well. Others will probably have other recomendations. I bought my Max new and the only car wsh I use is a 'touchless' car wash (and then not very often). I don't have the water restrictions that you have, so washing is not too much of a problem except in winter because of cold and rain. Good luck finding a satisfactory solution. Also, I have heard compliants about Maxima paint.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I'm in the same boat as you. We've been getting some rain here in Atlanta finally, but nowhere near the levels we need to ease the restrictions. I had been going to a local self wash bay (bringing my bucket and essentials to wash it there) but haven't dared buff it up after I get home because of the potential of scratching it from the dirt I pick up from the ride back.

So............I just scored some ONR (Optimum No Rinse) from Danase http://www.danase.com/opnowaandsh.html and plan on washing it up in my garage from now on. If all turns out well, I'll only go back to the hose method if my car is uber dirty.

As far as a swirl remover, I don't have much product experience other than what I use. For me anyways, Menzerna's Final Polish II has done a great job. If it needs a little more umph, I step it up to the Intensive Polish.

Do a little poking around and you'll find all sorts of good stuff (Optimum, Poorboys & Klearcote stuff comes to mind)

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 AM

I bought some Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover and NXT v. 2.0 wax/sealant. Tried these on the rear quarter panel. Although the swirls did diminish, I can still see a lot of swirls when the car is in bright sunlight. Drives me crazy. That NXT 2.0 is slick stuff, though.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Sounds like you have to step it up a notch.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Optimum No Rinse is the real deal, been using it in my detailing business as my primary way of washing cars the past couple of years.

Honestly, you need to get a good polisher (like a Porter Cable 7424 or a UDM, aka Ultimate Detailing Machine) to remove swirls from your paint.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM

+1 on Optimum No Rinse. I got it after reading Scottwax's sticky up top. That stuff is awesome! 3 gallons will wash a car, even a really dirty one. Get the wax too!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Welcome to the swirl club. Honestly, after buying a Porter Cable and a couple of pads i think I'm gonna let a professional do it. I tried a couple of times and evidently I wasn't taking enough time with it and all I did was move the product around on the paint. I spoke with one professional and he indicated to expect to spend up to 8 hours to remove swirls.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 AM

I did try the Meguiars #9 and the NXT v. 2 on the whole car. It looks pretty good, but I can still see some swirls.

Yeah, I was looking at the $250 deal for a Porter-Cable/Menzerna Polishing kit at Autogeek. For that much, I could have a pro do the whole car for me. The car is a on a lease with only one year left, and I've decided to turn her in at the end of the lease (or try to trade her in for an Infiniti G-35).

Anyone know a good detailer in Raleigh?

Last edited by Taxvictim; 02-12-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I can't think of a better time to get a PC or UDM. Since you're trading it in, think of it as a practice car. Hone your skills worry free. See what products do what. By the time you get your G, you'll have the know how and the confidence to shine it up right and proper. Same goes for all of your cars in the future. Valuable skills to have IMO.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Oh and I used the ONR for the first time today. Did a great job. Took me a while, but it feels like it's something that when you finally figure the process out, it'll be quick, effective and easy cheesy. I'm still trying to decide which washing medium to use for it though (currently using a Proline grout sponge I scored from Lowe's). As far as I could tell, it didn't scratch or marr anything (cause it's soft as all get out and the pores are huge so it rinses well) but it just doesn't feel right. Too sticky maybe. I dunno. Anyway.........

Any idea's from your already usin' ONR guys out there as to which washing mitt, sponge or other medium is best to use with it. (Scottwax? Armon?)

And another question if I may. How do you measure your cap full? I have this cardboard liner that is bubblin up from the bottom of it. Seemed like it was impeding my true measuring. Ditch that nuisance and measure the true cap full or have you kept in in there because it's a measuring device?

Could be a retarded question, but I just ain't feeling the measuring thing quite yet either. Thanx.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Any idea's from your already usin' ONR guys out there as to which washing mitt, sponge or other medium is best to use with it. (Scottwax? Armon?)
I always use a sheepskin mitt and the two bucket method.

Never tried the grout sponge, but a lot of guys like it.

With a black Max, swirls are going to happen. Each spring I do a marathon polishing session with my UDM. That gets rid of 98% of the swirls. But they return over the course of the summer. No matter how careful you are, or what products you use you will put at least some swirls back into the clear coat.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 PM

I use a microfiber wash mitt with those little spikey things on it. Like this.

Apparently the microfiber does a better job of picking up dirt. It's better to actually pick up the dirt than to rub it against the paint. I've never cause a scratch using it, even when my car was really dirty.

Check out this video originally posted by Scottwax. It shows a guy giving a "ONR how to" washing a Ferrari F430 with a mitt like this. Good enough for a Ferrari means good enough for my max!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00996428313622
Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Armon

Apparently the microfiber does a better job of picking up dirt. It's better to actually pick up the dirt than to rub it against the paint. I've never cause a scratch using it, even when my car was really dirty.
+1 on this. I always use microfiber sponges/ mits. Though if my car is very dirty with stuck on dirt (which it rarely is) I will pressure wash my car before attempting to start scrubbing with any kind of friction causing sponge/cleaner to get big stuff off.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i bought mine from carmax and it has terrible swirl marks
Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Check out this video originally posted by Scottwax. It shows a guy giving a "ONR how to" washing a Ferrari F430 with a mitt like this. Good enough for a Ferrari means good enough for my max!

Looks like it would do a fantastic job. Any idea where I can score one? Local auto parts store or is it only found online?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Looks like it would do a fantastic job. Any idea where I can score one? Local auto parts store or is it only found online?
Any local auto parts store. Autozone, Advance, etc. They also should have the blue microfiber towels to use for drying.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM

If you guys have a Costco around your area, then go there and get 25 microfiber towels for $12.99 IIRC.

It's either 20 or 25 towels for $15ish...better than $1 a towel that I've seen online.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM

I just tried the Optimum No Rinse. Fantastic results. No water ban where I live but I'm still going to use this method to wash my car. Check out there web site for great info and videos on their products.

optimumforums.org
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Any local auto parts store. Autozone, Advance, etc. They also should have the blue microfiber towels to use for drying.
Sweet, I'll see what they have around here.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 AM

I'm jealous of all of you that are washing your cars in the winter. I use the touchless wash, drive 2 miles home, park in garage and dry...but it's frozen by the time i get home. I have to fire up the heater in the garage and "DO WORK"...LOL...Brand new 08 max and i can't even keep it clean....I will NEVER go through a car wash other then touchless with my black max...no way...dang Illinois Winters!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by bryguy1822
I'm jealous of all of you that are washing your cars in the winter. I use the touchless wash, drive 2 miles home, park in garage and dry...but it's frozen by the time i get home. I have to fire up the heater in the garage and "DO WORK"...LOL...Brand new 08 max and i can't even keep it clean....I will NEVER go through a car wash other then touchless with my black max...no way...dang Illinois Winters!!!!
I hear ya. Sounds like you would definitely dig on some ONR then cause you can wash your car right in your garage with it. I do. Just crank up the heat and go to town. Congrats on your new car btw!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by bryguy1822
Watch out though, I've heard some of those touchless washes use abrasive soap in order to get your car clear without touching it. Might strip your wax off. Sounds like you need some ONR.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I picked these mitts up at BJs for like $7 bucks and it was a three pack. Used it today and it wasn't bad.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Another props to ONR. I've been using it for a couple weeks and I'm very impressed with it. I'm in an apartment right now and I can wash it without a hose.

As far as the scratches/swirls, I would not recommend using Scratch-X unless you want it to take weeks and several bicep transplants. You'll need something more abrasive and with more speed. A PC 7424 is a great start.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 AM

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=10
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 AM

so how exactly does this - Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine - work. is it a rub on and dip in bucket wash off or what. i have never heard of it. im old fashioned and use lots of water.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Thanatos
so how exactly does this - Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine - work. is it a rub on and dip in bucket wash off or what. i have never heard of it. im old fashioned and use lots of water.
I put 4 cap fulls of the ONR in a 3 1/2 gallon bucket, fill it up with water and drop my wash medium in it (giving it a good slosh around to mix it up) I also fill up another 3 1/2 bucket for my rinse bucket. Now you're pretty much ready to go to town (one or 2 panels at a time.) on your dry car. Seems scary at first, but it'll be alright. Just use the 2 bucket method and you're good to go. I like to spray each area first with a squirt bottle (with the ONR mix it) to loosen up any dirt, but all you really need to do is wash the area with your mitt/sponge then dry with a waffle weave towel. Rinse your sponge, soak it up in your ONR bucket, wash the next panel, dry and repeat. Piece of cake.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thanatos
Watch and be amazed, my friend

Old 04-09-2008, 08:00 AM

that vid make me want a pony tail . wow that is pretty cool. would save on alot of water. thanx for the link/vid.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 AM

"We have a ban on car washing, even in my own yard. Neighbors get irate if they see you breaking the rules, but I do it every once in a while."

I can appreciate the need to reduce water consumption, but in all reality, people probably waste more water taking nice baths or long showers than you would use washing your car!!! Those people whining to you probably are those types of people!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 AM

When you get the swirls and scratches is the use of claybar needed to bring the glass look and feel back to the paint??? Anyone have any experience using a claybar?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bkern207
When you get the swirls and scratches is the use of claybar needed to bring the glass look and feel back to the paint??? Anyone have any experience using a claybar?
Clay bars are not designed to remove/conceal scratches or swirls. Rather its used to remove any dirt, bugs, sap, road-tar, bird-bombs or any other contaminants that have embedded themselves into your clear coat. Those things are all pretty tough to get out simply by washing, so you need something strong to pull it out of the clear coat. If you run your hand across your paint after washing, you'll still feel very small bumps and rough particles that you can't always see with the naked eye. After washing and claying, your car's surface will be smooth as glass...trust me...its awesome!

Anyhow, to remove swirls or scratches, you've got to actually abrade the surface. Pretty much the equivalent to sanding a piece of wood to make it smooth. The deeper the scratch/swirl, the more abrasive the polish needs to be to get it out. Be careful though...some polishes contain fillers which means they don't actually abrade the surface, but rather fill in the swirls/scratches.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by clayman88
Clay bars are not designed to remove/conceal scratches or swirls. Rather its used to remove any dirt, bugs, sap, road-tar, bird-bombs or any other contaminants that have embedded themselves into your clear coat. Those things are all pretty tough to get out simply by washing, so you need something strong to pull it out of the clear coat. If you run your hand across your paint after washing, you'll still feel very small bumps and rough particles that you can't always see with the naked eye. After washing and claying, your car's surface will be smooth as glass...trust me...its awesome!

Anyhow, to remove swirls or scratches, you've got to actually abrade the surface. Pretty much the equivalent to sanding a piece of wood to make it smooth. The deeper the scratch/swirl, the more abrasive the polish needs to be to get it out. Be careful though...some polishes contain fillers which means they don't actually abrade the surface, but rather fill in the swirls/scratches.
So I still have my 2000 Maxima (black) that is a bit worn and I want to detail it before slapping the For Sale sign in it. What should I use to get the scratches and swirls out of the paint? Is it possible to get that new car shine back?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bkern207
So I still have my 2000 Maxima (black) that is a bit worn and I want to detail it before slapping the For Sale sign in it. What should I use to get the scratches and swirls out of the paint? Is it possible to get that new car shine back?
Yes, its definitely possible. The question is how bad are the swirls and how much time/resources are you willing to put into this.

If you regularly take you car through automatic washes (touch washes) then you've probably got a good amount of swirls. That being the case, theres no way you'll get them all out by hand. You'll need a machine operating at high RPM's to do the job. Usually you'll need at least 2 different polishes, one more abrasive than the other. Also, a couple different pads to put on the machine. There are hundreds of different polishes out there and they each work a little bit differently.

Unfortunately, theres no easy way to tell you exactly what you need to do this since every car is different and I can't see the condition of it. If you've got a couple hundred bucks and not a lot of time, I'd just pay someone to detail it for you. BUT, make sure you do your research and know what they're going to do before they do it. I would do some reading up on autopia.org before you make a decision.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:10 PM

I've seen those MF mitts with the spikey things at Costco. Time to try them out.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:48 PM

mf mitts are good, but i use the wool one, its has deeper pockets to trap those particles... always use the two bucket method as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

swirlbuster is a pretty good swirl remover....
Old 10-29-2008, 08:16 PM
tsl
Newbie - Just Registered

microfiber car wash mitt.

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
+1 on this. I always use microfiber sponges/ mits. Though if my car is very dirty with stuck on dirt (which it rarely is) I will pressure wash my car before attempting to start scrubbing with any kind of friction causing sponge/cleaner to get big stuff off.
I'm a facotry of this car wash mitt.
MSN: suetongsl@hotmail.com
Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

wat

Quick Reply: Swirls on black Max, car wash ban, etc.