Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Mystery "Smudge" - long

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:28 PM

Mystery "Smudge" - long

Well I took the taping off my B-pillars because I had this odd incident on a construction site a while back and a can of PCV solvent was crushed and sprayed all over my car. Long story short, I was able to clean the paint and settled with some of the rubber and plastic parts being slightly damaged with dots that had been literally eaten away. I got some money from insurance too . Anyways, the tape was damaged the worst and I found out you can remove it so I did and used goo gone to remove risidue from the glue. The first two came out perfect, very happy. Went to the other side and finished the third and after cleaning it up I noticed there was a 3in long smudge on the edge about 1cm wide. It is flat, light black and stands out terribly against the high gloss, freshly exposed black paint. I don't know if this matters but it kinda dissapears when wet, like if i wiped it with a wet towel, it would blend in, and look normal until dry. I thought that might mean im dealing with clear coat. I thought it was the glue that had eaten the paint, but then again the whole rest of the car was fine where the glue came in contact with. Final notes, I used a heat gun, thought about burning but it didn't occur anywhere else. and there was what looked like normal residue in this area that i used goo gone on, thats when i noticed the smudge after the residue was removed, could have been bubbled clear and i just didn't notice? Anyways what do you think i can do to repair this descently?

first pic is good side
Old 12-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Suspension Yoda

When wet it goes away? Sounds (and somewhat looks) like your clear coat. Not sure what caused it. You could try to spray some clear and wetsand it in, polish, or just keep it heavily waxed.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:20 PM

i tried waxing and it did nothing, i think i just gotta use touch up, we'll see
Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM

Sounds like your best bet. Looks like the clear coat. The fact that it looks normal when wet just means that the water is taking the place of the dull parts, making it look 'shiny'. So, yeah, clear it and see if that makes it any better. Good luck
Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 PM

clay it and see if that gets it off. can't hurt.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:03 AM

I'm pretty sure its not something to be removed so to speak, with a clay bar. Its worn away, wether it be clear or the actual paint. I don't see how clear coat though will turn it black again, I would just think it would shine the grayish color.