Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Wax'n annoyance..maybe im doing it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
daroknessmonsto

Wax'n annoyance..maybe im doing it wrong?

Whenever I wax my car with Meguiars Gold Class, I always manage to get some of the wax in the door jams/creases of my car. I HATE IT. It makes the car look like its cut off in sections. Am i applying too much wax? Do i need to stay away from all the little creases from panel to panel? Forgive me for being a moron .. How do i go about getting the wax out of these creases? Im going to try Q-tips with water..and medium pressure. Any suggestions from you experienced detailers would be greatly appreciated

Oh and one more cleaning question so I don't need to start a new thread. I have a few leaves in my sunroof...above the sliding panel HEH. Yes, i know, idiotic of me to leave the sunroof tilted. Anyone know how to get these out?

Old 02-22-2005, 01:01 PM

You're most likely using too much wax. Remember, you could apply the wax 2 inches thick, and still, only a small amount of that will remain on the car when you buff it off. Less is better - you can always apply multiple coats.

Just go slower and be more careful around the creases. You can easily wipe out the door jambs, and for creases try using a thin straight edge to get in the cracks and scrape it out. High pressure water might work also.

As far as the sunroof thing goes, open the sunroof with the tilt option and close the sliding panel *almost* all the way. Use something long and thin to push the leaves and anything else closer to the opening and keep sliding the panel back as necessary.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get detailing brushes made to get wax out of crevices. Also a very soft tooth brush will do the same thing.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:21 PM

I'm not sure where you're getting wax that you can't get it out. I just open up the hood and trunk and doors and wipe all the edges down with my buffing cloth.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM
daroknessmonsto

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 02-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also a credit card wrapped in a microfiber towel. A 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol (like with bandaids and stuff in the store) will remove the wax, but don't forget to rewax the area...just be more careful about the creases.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 PM

You ARE using too much wax! If you were applying it as thin as you should, there would be very little, if any, wax getting trapped between the panels.
You can also use a motion parallel to the gaps, so that the edges won't "scrape" the wax off of the applicator.