Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Help on cleaning the plastic trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 05:15 PM

Help on cleaning the plastic trim

Ok, so I picked up some leather cleaner (without conditioner) because my interior needs a cleanup bad. In the past, I've used the leather cleaner (without conditioner) to clean all the trim with the exception of the dash.

In the recent weeks, I've gotten more and more marks on the plastic trim pieces in the car (like the one where the power seat controls are). I would like to clean them, but I'm almost 100% sure that leather cleaner isn't the way to go. So what should I use on it? I'm not looking for a $100 product to make it showroom clean, but I would like to remove the marks without damaging the finish of the trim.

Also, I need to clean the dashboard. I will never ever ever ever use Armor All or any of that crap. What is a good product to clean it with?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:14 PM
OG and counting...

a) What leather cleaner are you currently using?
b) Can you describe the marks on the plastic?
c) What kind of finish do you want for the vinyl?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:12 PM

a) I'm not at home this weekend, but I normally use Mothers Leather Cleaner. Then I follow that up with the Mothers Leather Conditioner, which is sold seperately.

b) They are almost like scuff marks that black shoes would make on a gym floor. Most of the marks are in the general height of where your shoes would be, although I rarely wear black shoes.

c) For the trim, I want a flat finish. I'm shooting for a clean, non-shiny look that is very similar to the way it looks when you first take delivery of the car. The whole Armor All shine look is NOT what I am looking for. I just want that clean, stock, new-car look to it again.

For the dash, there's only 2 small marks I want to remove, but I don't want to damage the surface, as it is expensive to replace. Currently, I have the front windshield tinted completely, so I'm not as worried about the effects of fading from the sun. But I also don't want a shiny finish, as I'm sensitive to light (which is why my windshield is tinted).

While I'm away from home, I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's All-In-One Leather Cleaner and Conditioner from Wal-Mart today. I looked for an Auto Zone, etc, but haven't found it yet. I used the Meguiar's on the driver's seat, and it's pulling all the dirt out. However, I'll end up using 2 bottles and a bunch of shop towels in order to get it all out. Plus, my leather doesn't need that much conditioner.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:20 PM
OG and counting...

a) To remove the scuffs, check out Xenit by Stoners. You can get that from any local parts store. It's citrus based which means it won't harm the plastic or vinyl.

b) & c) I personally am a fan of Lexol Vinylex and 303 for the reasons you mentioned. Plus both have high UV protection. I have used Lexol Leather cleaner to clean the dash and it pulled the dirt. However, you can use the Meguiar's for the vinyl.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:25 PM

mr clean magic eraser does wonders.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 99se5spd
mr clean magic eraser does wonders.
That's what i used to clean my dash. It works very nicely.

Bob
Old 09-27-2004, 07:45 AM
SuPeRmOd

I heard plexus is great for plastic. gonna pick some up at PepGirls next time. Zaino leather conditioner for my leather and vinyl. Not too shiny, UV40 protectant with sweet leather smell.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:20 AM

I picked up the Lexol the other day, but due to the hurricane, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Einzett vinyl & rubber care is a great satin finish for your dash. I would give that a try.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:26 AM

I've had scuffs on the inside of my doors and the plastic parts of my driver's seat for some time. Nothing took it off, until I bought the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That thing does wonders! I also use it every once in a while to clean my leather seats. (But it dries them out, so you must condition soon after using it) I haven't tried it on my dash yet, but that's a good idea.