Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Best Spray-on wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 04:55 PM

Best Spray-on wax?

I'm just wounding what the best spray-on and wipe off wax you guys have used for your max?
Old 09-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good lord! Drop the crack pipe and the spray wax and step away from the vehicle!

I've never heard of any "spray" wax being of great quality. What's the motivation to use spray wax?

CM
Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 PM
is craving Bojangles

well of course the spray on wax will not be as good quality as a full on wax job. but who really has time to do a full wax job everytime you wash your car? i dont, so thats why i use a spray on wax. it keeps the car waxed up enough untill the next car wash and in the long run untill the next time i can give it a full wax and claying. i love using my Eagle One Wax as you Dry; its quick, easy, and gives a wax job that looks neither quick nor easy. for the price value and usability it gets an easy 7 out of 10 in my book.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:20 PM

so Eagle One huh. I'll have to try that out. Ive read so decent review on that stuff too, Thanks Max Prodigy!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:24 PM
is craving Bojangles

yeah no problem. oh by the way, what do you dry your car with? because i use the absorber and eagle one doesnt say anything about using a material like that to dry the car with the wax as you dry. but it gets the job done anyways. so id like to know how it works with drying with a chamois or something that it reccomends.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've never heard of anyone waxing every time they wash the car. Polishing, yes. A wax job should only be required maybe 6 times a year at most. I do 4 myself, and I live in a snow belt region now. Mguiars has a great post wash spray-on called "quick detail", which is designed specifically for touching up waxed vehicles after a wash.
If you go to their website, you can view as much a 30 minutes of video which gives you quite a decent education on the finer points of waxing, polishing, washing, etc...
Old 09-16-2004, 11:15 PM

i tried the eagle 1 stuff. it's ok for a quick shine but doesn't last that long. now i just use it to give the car a 'freshen up' in between real wax jobs. i use meguiars nxt.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:28 PM

i highly recomend the next generation tech wax booster spray. i use it almost everytime i wash and it helps to preserve the actaul wax. it doesnt last long but for them quick jobs it does a great job and works great as a quick detailer as well.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:30 PM

Stoners... in between Meguier's Mirror Glaze Regiment (cleaner, polish, show car glaze, paint protectant.)

Jerry
Old 09-21-2004, 10:34 PM

Quik Detail is not necessarily made for after a wash. If you wash and dry your car properly (meaning removing all the dirt and not leaving water spots), a "QD" is not needed. A QD is used primarily for between washes to remove dust, fingerprints, bird bombs, etc. A few do contain shine enhancers as well, such as Meguiars Final Detail (replaced by their new Last Touch). But they do not leave any protection per se on the paint. BTW, Final Detail is an awesome product I use almost daily.

For spray waxes, they do have their place in my detailing arsenal, but are not an absolute substitute for full blown waxes/sealants. They are for the times in between wax jobs that you want a freshly waxed appearance. Or to "rejuvenate" your existing wax. They offer limited protection, but do enhance gloss and slickness. I use Eagle One Wax As U Dry or Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax. The Eagle One WAUD is ridiculously easy to use. I only use one squirt per wet body panel, and dry with a waffle weave microfiber I got at www.exceldetail.com. It's literally that easy. No buffing or waiting for it to haze. And it does add a nice gloss and slickness. The NXT Spray Wax I use on a clean, dry surface. It is basically a liquified wax that you spray LIGHTLY, spread THINLY, wait for it to haze (which is quick), and buff off. It is slightly faster than the full blown NXT Wax, which itself is easy to use. The Spray Wax adds a good gloss and I think incredible slickness. It also seems to keep these attributes for slightly longer than WAUD. But it is not as easy or quick as WAUD. As for using a spray wax as a quick detailer (to touch up a dirty or dusty car), I would never do it. Spray waxes are designed to be used on CLEAN cars to give limited protection and a freshly waxed appearance. They do not contain lubricants like QD's do to prevent dirt or dust from being ground in to the surface as you wipe it off. Using a spray wax as a QD is a sure way to scratch or mar the paint surface.
An excellent resource for detailing information is www.autopia.org. The forums there are full of professional and enthusiast detailers who are a gold-mine of detailing information. Not to mention reps from companies such as Meguiars and Mothers. But like any other forum, there are a few members who know just enough to give improper information at times. The LEARN icon at the top of the web page is a good starting point to learn the basics of proper detailing. They also have a good search function, where the answer to almost any detailing question can be found. There is also a lot of vendor information so you can get good quality products and tools to take your car's appearance to its full potential.
Hope this helps.

Dave