Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

What is special about this wax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:51 PM

What is special about this wax?

What is special about THIS wax compared to others like mothers, turtle, and Klasse?

OH, and see how cheap that wax is!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:01 PM

well for one, you can't get the refill service from mothers, turtle, or klasse like it's offering. Other than that, I'd have to see used (and it would have to be a very impressive demonstartion)
Old 08-29-2004, 08:10 PM

Do you think its worth it? It cost $7000. (im not thinking about getting it btw )

Originally Posted by kcidmil
well for one, you can't get the refill service from mothers, turtle, or klasse like it's offering. Other than that, I'd have to see used (and it would have to be a very impressive demonstartion)
Old 08-29-2004, 08:12 PM

Maybe if you do A LOT of show work, and got through wax like crazy. But for occasional use that everyone uses it for. You'd get your money's worth when your about 70 years old (provided you started at 18)
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM
OG and counting...

One thing about those higher end Zymol waxes is that they offer free lifetime refills.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:39 AM

its no 1 carnuba.. the highest grade.. worth 7 grand.. if you got it why not *L*
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 AM

BTW i don't have 7 grand.. :-(
Old 08-30-2004, 11:52 AM

If I had $7000 I woul djust get my car repainted each month instead of waxing it LOL

Just kidding.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:57 AM

It really does make sense to just get your car repainted.. Just not every month

Originally Posted by Dr.Monkey1313
If I had $7000 I woul djust get my car repainted each month instead of waxing it LOL

Just kidding.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The good thing about this wax is that it lets you sit higher on your horse, and turn your nose up just a little bit higher at people when they see you using it.

For $7000 it's a massive ripoff IMO. Someone tried the similarly expensive Zymol Vintage wax (free to him thankfully), and it wasn't worth what they charge for it. Durability wasn't great despite super-high carnauba content, and application as they suggest to do it is a huge PITA. As nothing but a wax, it's not going to work any miracles (ie, repair/hiding) for a car's appearance either. A lot of people (some of them with more money than sensibility) put WAY too much emphasis on "wax", when really they should be more concerned with properly preparing or polishing the paint.

Lifetime refills are limited to one per year.

I know you're not thinking of buying it, but if you want a more proven "high end" wax get something like Pinnacle Souveran for only 1/100 the cost. Considered great looking and much easier to use.

It's unfortunate, but with detailing and cars in general, the old addage "You always get what you pay for!" isn't always true.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
mjg

bman,

i kinda disagree, since pinnacle souveran is only 'really' good on darker colored cars such as black. I can testify to that personally. I wouldn't just hand it out as the best wax for everyone.

For all you know this stuff is great, and if you had something really rare and sick, like a gullwing mercedes or one of those sick elite cars (like that bugatti) this is pennies for you. How can you claim its a ripoff? I wouldn't comment unless i saw it in person, on a real special car.

Also, people who probablly use this wax, have a crew of people doing the work for them, and yes i'm sure they know what polishing is. This isn't for regular people, this is for people that can pay for stuff they want, and have people work hand and foot for them. Does it give them the same satisfaction, who knows?

I'm sure if Jerry Seinfeld wants this stuff, his detailing crew knows how to polish a car up quite well.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 AM

IM sure good Ol Jay Leno uses stuff like this.. Specially he just got a Mercedes SLR!
Old 08-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Unfortunately Zymol doesn't have the best reputation for creating "the best" stuff. No, I don't know if that wax is any good or not, but Zymol has long been known as a company that relies very heavily on marketing to sell wax more than anything else. They don't direct their marketing efforts to the professionals that know about polishing cars, because these people would know that Zymol is pitching a lot of BS. Instead they target the unaware owner, who soaks up their fanciful and reasonable-sounding (but stretched or wrong) sales literature, looks at the price tag, and thinks that this stuff must really be special and exclusive. I just can't respect that kind of company.

Prior to this, the Vintage I mentioned earlier was the most expensive, most exclusive Zymol wax I had known of. It also comes in a very fancy crystal container and has lifetime refills. A respected detailer had a chance to try this out and reported that it wasn't amazingly great or anything compared to other "premium" products. (It's sitting in his fridge now and he's not sure what to do with it...) Zymol could make more money by selling a really fantastic wax at a semi-reasonable price to more people, not selling an extremely expensive product to fewer people. The odds of this product being amazing in some way are just extremely low, but not impossible.

The questions were: "What is special about this wax?" and "Do you think it's worth it?". In my opinion, the answers are "Not much except for snob appeal." and "No.". I should add that it does have TONS of carnauba percentage-wise, but don't be fooled into thinking that's automatically better.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
IM sure good Ol Jay Leno uses stuff like this.. Specially he just got a Mercedes SLR!

HAHAH that's a great sig Oxidizer, mad me bust out laughing at work.

7g's for some fat? umm... NO
Old 09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
OG and counting...

But to back up what Bman said, applying this wax is best done by hand.....literally. You have to take a dollop of the wax and rub it on your hands, then on the car to apply it.

As for Souveran, I love it. I agree it's excellent on dark colored cars (e.g. Gray Lustre) but it's an excellent wax because it does have a greater longevity than the Zymol product we are discussing.

Personally, I would not spend 7 large for a wax regardless of whether or not it has lifetime refills.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
mjg

as much as i like souveran, i feel guilt applying it so often, so i need a jar of ps21 to use as secondary wax.

I tend to wax every 2 weeks, and use up wax quicker then most people : P
Took me about a year to kill a jar of ps21, and i'm pretty good with wax, not using too much, just enough.

I would never waste souveran on a non dark colored car though, so other cars i detail will never see it unless they got a dark color.