Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Americas Tire Over tightened my lugnuts!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:22 PM

Americas Tire Over tightened my lugnuts!!

Hello guys well i went to my local tireshop to get my wheels balanced, Later that evening i decided to take my wheels off and check my pads, to my suprise 2 lugs (front wheels (right) side) where over tightened. I used my breaker bar to pry off my lugs and it broke Now do you think that i have the right to complain to them about this situation? Also, i am planning to install it myself and i want them to compensate me for wasting my time for there own careless mistake. I promptly suggested in the past for them to hand tightened the nuts to prevent accidental mistreadings. I guess its to bad for me that i was at the wrong place at the wrong time
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Complain to the manager if you want however I don't think they will even do anything about it. Keep us posted with the resolution to your problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Are they physically BROKEN?

I would go back to the shop with them and tell them that they were cracked visably, and when you tried to remove them (with a HAND iron) they broke in half.

I would complain, and if they dont pay out, call my creditcard company to report the damaged services and get a refund.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:36 PM
retired moderator

rule #1 when I take my car to have any wheel/tire work done on it: I will stand there in the shop and physically make sure they put my wheels back on and tighten the lugs with a hand-torque wrench, not an impact gun....
Old 07-30-2006, 06:32 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by irish44j
rule #1 when I take my car to have any wheel/tire work done on it: I will stand there in the shop and physically make sure they put my wheels back on and tighten the lugs with a hand-torque wrench, not an impact gun....
I agree. They should never tighten them down with a impact gun. Not only does this make it almost impossible to take of the nuts later, but puts stress on the thread studs and wheel. Have them remove them with their impact gun and retorque with hand wrench. Though some shops have the torque settings built into their impact guns, I never trust them. What exactly is broken? Your braker bar, lug nut, or stud?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 PM

its perfectly fine to tighten your lug nuts with an impact gun as long as you use a TORQUE STICK. they twist once the specified torque is hit. very simple, but i guess it depends on the mechanic working on ur car.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

You should have restitution. I had a tire shop cross-thread two of my lugnuts finding out the same evening the work had been done. I took it in the next morning and they replaced the wheel studs. Bi1ches sent me to some place 10 miles away for stud replacement, but they had it done.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 AM
† ErV †

i only go to one chain for tire work, america's is not the one.

they have never scewed up yet. i am amazed (but crap, you pay for it..)

Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Drug Money

That's pretty bad dude.

I'd stick it back in the shop's face and tell them to fix it.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

call them and complain.....they might not do anything because you ok em off... when that happened you should have taken the car back.. good luck
Old 07-31-2006, 02:58 PM

Well today i went to my local stealership to buy 2 lugnuts and 2 studs, afterwards i went to my local america's tire and showed them the broken studs and i kindly ask for a reimburstment. I showed my receipt of purchased nuts & studs and they offered me a refund. Well i went home and installed them studs myself So now i am a happy camper Oh yeah one more question for you guys. I am thinking about replacing all of my lugs, now is it ok for me to buy it at my local parts store or do i have to buy them lugnuts at the stealership?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:02 PM

Oh yeah i have some tips for you fellow members the next time that you take your car at your local tire store just kindly ask them to hand tighten it for you. Coz thats what the manager at america's tire told me that i should do the next time to prevent it from happening again Moral of the story pay attention when you take your car at your local tire place