Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Phoneix Remanufact Transmission - Limited Slip 5 Speed - DO NOT BUY FROM THEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Phoneix Remanufact Transmission - Limited Slip 5 Speed - DO NOT BUY FROM THEM

GUINESS WORLD RECORDS: LONGEST POST EVER (Please keep your stamina and read all they way through , need everyones input and help. )

Okay here is my dilema, i decided to change my tranny (5spd) due
to the dreaded bearing failure (AGAIN!!!). The first time I changed it with one from a I30t (limited slip diff) that I won off of ebay for about $130 (so i can't really complain about that tranny). That tranny served me for about a year then the bearings started to go again. So i decide to bite the bullet and get a rebuilt tranny. I decided to try Ebay again and I saw the auction from PHONEIX REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS/HARDPARTS (PRT). It also stated that Limited Slip Transmissions are available. So I bid and won the auction for $795, and called in, just to make sure they sent me the correct tranny. In fact, I said I wanted a tranmission for a 97 Infiniti I30t (w/limited slip) just to make sure because the touring models in 5 speed only have limited slip.

Flash forward to tranny shop installing the transmission for me, Cottman Transmission. They installed my last transmission and I was completely satisfied with their work and they did it for $315 so I tried them again.

They installed the transmission but when it came to installing the axles, the d/s would not fit. This essentially meant that I had a manual tranny w/o limited slip . I was throughly upset at PRT for their mix up so I called them and after getting the run around I spoke with the general manager there. He ends up telling me to send in my old transmission and theirs and they will rebuild my transmission, just to make sure its "correct". I mean, if you are a repudible business you should know what transmissions you have in stock and what you send out, the auction did say that the limited slip was available (false advertising).

When I ask about the labor cost he told me that was on me!!! He said they only cover the labor if i purchase their extended warranty!!! Insane, they sell me the wrong tranny that has not been driven 1/10th of a mile and they tell me that they only cover labor if I buy the extended warranty for an extra $175, insane. I then ask what about expedited shipping, because I am in NY and it has to go to AZ, then get rebuilt, then sent back. He says they can't pay for express shipping!!! INSANE AGAIN.I then ask about a rental car to cover me for the days without MY car due to THEIR mistake. He says they can't pay for the rental!!! INSANE AGAIN!!!

After I spent a little over a 1/2 hour going back and forth he does not budge an inch other then to tell me they will be for shipping. Mind you I already paid for the return shipment for my core, insane.

The end result of this conversation was me telling him that the company he represents has an incredible poor business model and he WILL be hearing from me after I talk to the Better Bus Bureau. I ended up deciding to just keep the tranny because I am in school and really do not have time for all this so I just change the d/s axle to make it work.

ITS NOT OVER...

My shop ends up telling me that these axles do not fit either, but the tranny bolts up, so its a nissan tranny, but it looks like its for a 4 cyl engine!!! Can someone please shoot me NOW!!! I called them back today and spoke with their General Manager (MICHAEL) and after he gives me the run around, transfers me to the tech department, then back to him, he tells me hold on. He comes back and says he spoke with the owner that was in a meeting and he told him that I could send the tranny back and they would rebuild it, since they did not have a core of the I30t transmission that I needed, but they still would not pay for the $315 Labor charge since I did not purchase their Platinum extended warranty. I proceed to explain to him that according to the
documentation on this warranty that it would only cover the labor and shipping in the event that the Transmission fails, but I haven't even driven my car an inch. He then states out-right that they are not going to pay for the labor, I can either send them my transmission and they will rebuild it, or send them the one they sent me and get a refund. But I am still out the initial labor charge I paid in the first place...

I told him this is fraud, the auction stated that the limited slip tranny was available, but it was not, but from our conversation I know he definitly not care about fraud...

This is where i am right now, any suggestions on how I can get them to do more for, or am I basically screwed ...

Here is a link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ME:B:EOAB:US:6
Old 10-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Blazin......

Id go there personally for a discussion.
Be rational, and when that doesnt work *Lawyer_ bling*

Ive been wanting to buy a transmission from them for sometime. Maybe u should have just said u never put it in just inspected it and noticed the problem offhand. Im going to call them and specifically ask them about the same trans i was going to order. Ill mention ur problem when asking questions.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:26 PM

Also i forgot to mention, the shop that's doing my install said that the tranny is from an early build date of 1994 (3rd gen Max).

PRT gave me the choice of rebuilding mine or gettign a refund, either way I am out my $315. I will probably just ask for a refund because I DO NOT WANT THEM TO MAKE A PROFIT OF ME. I will try to have a local shop just rebuild mine, probably should have just done that in the first place, lesson learned... I would suggest that you don't buy anything from them, if they'll do it to me, chances are they'll do it to you.

And Bob, when I spoke the the General Manager Michael, he told me they had no limited slip cores available and that was today (3:30pm est). So if they tell you they do, be weary.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:28 PM

Also Bob, they are in Arizona, and I am in New York, not too ease for me to see them personally, know what I mean...
Old 10-01-2003, 04:34 PM

This probably won't help you a bit, but here's a website I stumbled across that I believe is talking about the same company. I did a search for this company after seeing that same auction on eBay. I was curious at the time to see what it would cost to convert my auto to 5-speed. Check it out: http://www.phoenixhardpartssucks.com/story.htm
Old 10-01-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well they sent you the wrong tranny. So at this point, tell them they owe you what they said they put on the auction. A maxima tranny with LSD. And it had better be in the condition they stated. If they want the other tranny back, tell them to pay for the return shipping.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:51 PM

INSANNNNEEEEEEEEE - You are awesome corruptone - I am going to post my story RIGHT NOW!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by bg18461
INSANNNNEEEEEEEEE - You are awesome corruptone - I am going to post my story RIGHT NOW!
Well, I know it probably won't help you out much, but maybe it will offer a little comfort knowing you are not the only one.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:55 PM

Jeff92se that is exactly what i am going to do, after reading the story on http://www.phoenixhardpartssucks.com/story.htm
I am not letting them touch my LSD tranny, I am going to ask for a refund and for the shipping charges ($150). I'll let the org knows what happens when i call them tomorrow.

Please more post, people should know how bad this company is, let me be the lesson, not you.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:57 PM

It does feel comforting, and more importantly, if I had any thoughts of having them rebuild my tranny, and just suck up the labor cost, after looking at that website, those thoughts are the farthest thing from my mind.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:09 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

wow thats foul, they seemed very reputable but it seems it all bs, they have mostly positive feed back though
Old 10-01-2003, 05:31 PM

They make quite a few sales in books and various tranny parts, not complete transmissions. That could help explain some of the feedback.

Another site about info on PRT:

http://badbusinessbureau.com/results...ubmit2=Search!
Old 10-01-2003, 06:42 PM

That sucks! I was going to buy a rebuilt one online, but my dad told me not. He had his tranny rebuilt before on his old Accord and the shop that rebuilt it did a great job on it so I got it done there too. It cost me $1000 and if anything happens, they're right near me. Dropped my car off on Wednesday and got it back Friday evening Only 2 days!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:34 PM

Wow i wish I'd done something similar when NTB(Sears) did $367 damage to my hood but would only pay half.I was forced to take half but I'm not finished with them.Phoenixhardpartssucks talks about contacting cosumer advocacy groups. who are they and how do I contact them?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:03 PM
be the change u want2C

Man If I were you I'd Call my lawyer before its too late, There are limitations on how long you can drag untill you file the suit. Man you should shut that stupid shop down! They have no right to do a customer like that, no place does, You can make a lot of money!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
ivelweyz

It's called The Better Business Bureau, they should be able to help you...

Old 10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

If you need something, I'm in Phoenix. E-mail me
alex@southwestautoworks.com if I can be of any help

Alex
Old 10-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Lightly modded

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one. I also have a 5 speed I30 with VLSD. I also bought a tranny from Phoenix, and it didn't fit my car either, even though they said it would fit my LSD car. Jesus christ man....I tried to get my money back from them to cover my extra tranny install/uninstall, but the owner told me it would be impossible to even bolt up the wrong tranny (which my mechanic "did"), and my mechanic was probably lying/ something else. He said he would send me an email with pics of the differences between the 2 trannies, but he didn't. Dude...this sounds fishy. He even said he found some thread I posted about this, which I don't remember posting. I guess he found yours!!!! What should we do man??

Edit: I want to include some more details about my horror story to see if they coincide with yours. So I bought the tranny, and they said while it was LSD compatible, it didn't include the LSD unit. Fine. It arrived, and my mechanic installed the LSD unit- $400. He spent about 2-3 hours ($150) trying to install it, only to find out the axles didn't fit. Another 2-3 ($150)hours getting it out of the car. I send the tranny back to them, and since they don't know why it doesn't fit, they rebuilt my original tranny. Fine. The stock one finally arrives, and goes on the car fine. I send them a letter trying to get my money back that I spent on the wrong tranny. Since I had the "Platinum Warranty" they (Mike) originally said they would only pay $35/hour for my costs, instead of the $65 I paid. The letter explained all the details, basically like this post. I got a call from the owner (I think) a few days later telling me that it would be impossible for my mechanic to install the LSD unit into a non-LSD tranny. He basically said that my mechanic scammed me, since what he did was impossible. He also said they wouldn't even pay the $35/hour that I ****ing paid for with the warranty, since my mechanic "lied". Like I said, he said he would send pics to prove it, but I haven't gotten any yet. My dad is a lawyer for the county government in the consumer affairs department. How do you feel about getting back whats rightfully yous?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Jer

If you paid with creditcard, you have insurance against being shipped/sold something different than what was put on paper / advertised. You can chargeback after 30-60 days of the original purchase.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:57 AM

Wow, this is really f@cked up. 95maxrider you and bg18461 shoudl fight this **** 100% of the way, not only to get what rightful yours back but also to put a whole in the pocket of those whoo scammed you. All these theifs need to be shot. Good luck!

Alin