Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Focal VS Infinity Kappa

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 02:30 AM

Focal VS Infinity Kappa

So far, Focal seems to be the top of the top, best quality component speakers you can get. However, Infinity Kappa seems to be the best Bang For Your Bucks.

Focal is very expensive, after some researching couple of online stores.. Focal K2 components range around $300!! Thats madness..
However, Infinity Kappa 60.5(BTW, which one fits? 60.5 or 60.3? Does Infinity component tweeters fit in the factory tweeter hole?) components are only around $170.. Something I can do without regretting... And not to forget that I would need to buy an extra pair of rear speakers.

What do you guys think??? If there is little difference between these two quality brands, I will definately go with the kappas. Price is very nice. (I heard Infinity stopped producing speakers.. Is it true???) Unless somebody had a really bad experience with thems, I'll go with kappas. If, anyone knows a very cheap place for Focals, please do tell me and maybe I'll change my mind, for now.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:51 AM
Disco Biscuit

Having heard both brands, I would still recommend the Focals. You do get what you pay for in that respect. The Kappas arent bad speakers, but Focal is the better of the two and there is a noticable difference. If you cant afford them though, then you wouldnt go wrong in getting the Kappas.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:43 AM

I had Kappas in my last car and I really liked them. I've not hear focals however.

Stereodude
Old 05-30-2002, 07:10 AM

I have to agree, you won't be disapointed with the Kappas. I have the last generation(green) all the way around my max and they sound great. I just put in my componets last weekend, and I have 6.75s in the back. I also haven't heard the focals, and you do usually get what you pay for. Are you planning on doing any comps or are they just for personal enjoyment? Also what generation max do you have, and with or without the bose to help you on the sizes....
Old 05-30-2002, 08:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Focal VS Infinity Kappa

Originally posted by Max4Good

What do you guys think??? If there is little difference between these two quality brands, I will definately go with the kappas. Price is very nice. Unless somebody had a really bad experience with thems, I'll go with kappas. If, anyone knows a very cheap place for Focals, please do tell me and maybe I'll change my mind, for now.

I personally think that there is a difference in sound quality between the two. I have the 165 W in the front and the 165 V in the rears. I always hesitated because of the price and in the end, I bought the Focals, but only after I had bought the Eclipse Pointsource. There are many places online that sell them cheap, unfortunately I don't know of any. But I would go with the Focals. And I am not saying that Kappas are bad.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Focal VS Infinity Kappa

Originally posted by cwally

I personally think that there is a difference in sound quality between the two. I have the 165 W in the front and the 165 V in the rears. I always hesitated because of the price and in the end, I bought the Focals, but only after I had bought the Eclipse Pointsource. There are many places online that sell them cheap, unfortunately I don't know of any. But I would go with the Focals. And I am not saying that Kappas are bad.

Yeah I think you are going to be happy either way you go. I haven't heard too many people say bad things about either brand.

cwally, love your rims man..
Old 05-30-2002, 08:25 AM

How does the Boston acoustics Pro compare to the Focal utopia?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:57 AM

I have 4th gen 95' maxima. I wanted to know ahead of time about what sizes I need for "our" car before I goto Al and Ed's(or somewhere) and ask them. And yes, this is for personal enjoyment, no competition. Not rich enough to turn my max into Fast n the furious max..
Price is a big issue for me, so I guess I'll be going with the Kappas. Crutchfield says 4th gen maxes have 6 3/4 front and back and other sites say its 6 1/2.. Which one is right? I've been "search"ing this forum but I seem to find the similar reponses. Will kappa components fit(if so which model?) where the stock bose speakers and tweeters used to be?

however,... one guy says there is a notable difference between focals and kappas and I was hoping that wasnt the case... I'm gettin second thoughts... Time to sell some stuff on ebay this summer But yea, after buying a component(front and tweeter pairs) and a pair of rear speakers, the price difference between kappas and focal will be around 300~400 bucks... I think I'll be very happy with Infinity.

Originally posted by time2reup
I have to agree, you won't be disapointed with the Kappas. I have the last generation(green) all the way around my max and they sound great. I just put in my componets last weekend, and I have 6.75s in the back. I also haven't heard the focals, and you do usually get what you pay for. Are you planning on doing any comps or are they just for personal enjoyment? Also what generation max do you have, and with or without the bose to help you on the sizes....
Old 05-30-2002, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Max4Good
I have 4th gen 95' maxima. I wanted to know ahead of time about what sizes I need for "our" car before I goto Al and Ed's(or somewhere) and ask them. And yes, this is for personal enjoyment, no competition. Not rich enough to turn my max into Fast n the furious max..
Price is a big issue for me, so I guess I'll be going with the Kappas. Crutchfield says 4th gen maxes have 6 3/4 front and back and other sites say its 6 1/2.. Which one is right? I've been "search"ing this forum but I seem to find the similar reponses. Will kappa components fit(if so which model?) where the stock bose speakers and tweeters used to be?

however,... one guy says there is a notable difference between focals and kappas and I was hoping that wasnt the case... I'm gettin second thoughts... Time to sell some stuff on ebay this summer But yea, after buying a component(front and tweeter pairs) and a pair of rear speakers, the price difference between kappas and focal will be around 300~400 bucks... I think I'll be very happy with Infinity.

Speaker size is a 6.75 front and back, you can get 6.5s to fit, I actually have 5.25s up front with a bracket I got from Crutchfield. Are you planning on replacing your head unit as well? If not you will need to bypass the bose amps. Bose speakers run at 1 ohm, while most aftermarkets run at 4. Try searching in this forum on BOSE and you will get a more detailed explaination.....
Old 05-30-2002, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Focal VS Infinity Kappa

cwally, love your rims man..
thanks..

Max4Good, where are you located?
Old 05-30-2002, 11:20 AM

The Kappas dont fit in the 5th gen with BOSE I heard. This true? If so that would suck. I listened to Reference and Kappas. Huge difference.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Neal728
The Kappas dont fit in the 5th gen with BOSE I heard. This true? If so that would suck. I listened to Reference and Kappas. Huge difference.
I don't see why not, unless there are depth issues. But honestly I have never touched a 5th gen stereo so I wouldn't know for sure.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:19 PM

i had kappa perfects in my explorer and I loved them, but I dunno how their component systems are
Old 05-31-2002, 01:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Focal VS Infinity Kappa

so cal : )

Time for lakers to tear it up!
Old 05-31-2002, 06:28 AM

I don't see why not, unless there are depth issues. But honestly I have never touched a 5th gen stereo so I wouldn't know for sure.
Well it depends on if the car has the Bose system or not. With a Bose system the front doors have an opening of 6.75" with a max depth of 2 3/8". The rear door's opening is 5.25" of an unknown depth. There are some really odd things going on (according to Crutchfield). For example Kenwood KFC-1387 will fit, but the Kenwood KFC-1377 will not. However they have the same depth requirement and the same cutout requirement. I am beginning to think that the information on Crutchfield's page is eronious.

Without the Bose system the front are the same, but the rear is different. The rears are 6.75" with a depth of 3 15/16" However, the issue with the standard system is that mounting hold locations are not the standard ones. This means you have to drill holes to hold the speakers in.

Anyhow... Infinity doesn't make 6.75" speakers, so there are no direct drop in replacements.

Stereodude
Old 05-31-2002, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Stereodude
Well it depends on if the car has the Bose system or not. With a Bose system the front doors have an opening of 6.75" with a max depth of 2 3/8". The rear door's opening is 5.25" of an unknown depth. There are some really odd things going on (according to Crutchfield). For example Kenwood KFC-1387 will fit, but the Kenwood KFC-1377 will not. However they have the same depth requirement and the same cutout requirement. I am beginning to think that the information on Crutchfield's page is eronious.

Without the Bose system the front are the same, but the rear is different. The rears are 6.75" with a depth of 3 15/16" However, the issue with the standard system is that mounting hold locations are not the standard ones. This means you have to drill holes to hold the speakers in.

Anyhow... Infinity doesn't make 6.75" speakers, so there are no direct drop in replacements.

Stereodude
Infinity definitely makes 6.75 speakers, or at least they used to because I have them in the back of my 95...They are the last gen of Kappas....
Old 05-31-2002, 07:27 AM

Infinity definitely makes 6.75 speakers, or at least they used to because I have them in the back of my 95...They are the last gen of Kappas....
Actually Infinity has never made 6.75" speakers. You must have 6.5" speakers mounted in the rear.

Stereodude
Old 05-31-2002, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by Stereodude
Actually Infinity has never made 6.75" speakers. You must have 6.5" speakers mounted in the rear.

Stereodude
Sorry man, they sold me 6.5s with the brackets b/c they were in the outlet, brackets were no good so I brought them back and demanded the 6.75s instead. They are direct fits for our oversize opening, I will get the model number off of them and post em for you on Monday......

My green Kappas are model number 652.1i, new Kappas are 652.5i....