Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Ditched the JLW7 12" getting magma 15" earthquakes..Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:33 AM

Ditched the JLW7 12" getting magma 15" earthquakes..Please help!

Well after spending about 4 hours today at the stereo shop. The guy convinced me to ditch the JL W7's because of the cost. He just said it was too expensive and I could get a way better setup with more bass. SO, instead I'm getting the EARTHQUAKE Magama's 15 inchers, 2 of them. I hope I made the right choice?? Do you think those are good and produce good clean bass? He said they were the ****. He's giving me a pretty good deal. I'm worried I won't like it...I'm worried the 15's will hit slow and won't sound good. This is going to be a complete custom install. I'm going to power it with a Autotek Stealth series XS.1500 Mono D amp. I can still back out. I already bought the amp though. Should I get 12's instead?? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY GHEY MIND!!!!!!I'm out. thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What exactly is your reason for getting subs? Are you planning on competing in SPL contests often?
Old 02-06-2002, 07:22 AM
jmax

Yeah! Most twelve's, I mean single 12" driver will go over 130 dB's in a Max. The threshold of pain is 125 dB's, and very few sane, deaf people drive around with the volume anywhere close to the 125 dB level. A W7, 12GTI, or Brahma has the potential for a lot more spl than the average 12. I am quite sure that the magma 'sounds' very loud, but distorted music always 'sounds' louder than the undistorted counterpart. You should also consider your vehicle. What type of enclosure will work best with each of these woofers? How much space do you want to never be able to use again? Also, a small box for a 12, minus the weight of the driver, is at least 30 lb's. If you want it to hit 150 dB's or more I would count on it weighing 80-150 lbs each. Now add 20-40 lbs per sub.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by jmax
Yeah! Most twelve's, I mean single 12" driver will go over 130 dB's in a Max. The threshold of pain is 125 dB's, and very few sane, deaf people drive around with the volume anywhere close to the 125 dB level. A W7, 12GTI, or Brahma has the potential for a lot more spl than the average 12. I am quite sure that the magma 'sounds' very loud, but distorted music always 'sounds' louder than the undistorted counterpart. You should also consider your vehicle. What type of enclosure will work best with each of these woofers? How much space do you want to never be able to use again? Also, a small box for a 12, minus the weight of the driver, is at least 30 lb's. If you want it to hit 150 dB's or more I would count on it weighing 80-150 lbs each. Now add 20-40 lbs per sub.
I see, I see. I'm having second thoughts on these EarthQuakes. 15's are just way too big. They probably won't sound that great either, I don't know much about EarthQuakes....all I know is that they have been around for along time. You think they will sound distorted?? I should just go with 2 12 inchers, huh? 15's r just too heavy and probably won't adapt very well to some trance and rock I listen to. I'm thinkin' the infinity perfects or what ever their called in 12's? I heard 3 15 inch L7's in a Xpedition yesterday..wow they sounded like ****. I want clean deep bass...not high flat garbage bass they rattles your whole car. I like the rumble. I'm gonna put my subs in a pre-fab box with correct dimensions for the subs...Thanks for your help once again.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:02 AM

come on Jmax...Where is that useful reply I always look forward to reading....
Old 02-06-2002, 01:37 PM

Re: Ditched the JLW7 12" getting magma 15" earthquakes..Please help!

Originally posted by puremax
Well after spending about 4 hours today at the stereo shop. The guy convinced me to ditch the JL W7's because of the cost. He just said it was too expensive and I could get a way better setup with more bass. SO, instead I'm getting the EARTHQUAKE Magama's 15 inchers, 2 of them. I hope I made the right choice?? Do you think those are good and produce good clean bass? He said they were the ****. He's giving me a pretty good deal. I'm worried I won't like it...I'm worried the 15's will hit slow and won't sound good. This is going to be a complete custom install. I'm going to power it with a Autotek Stealth series XS.1500 Mono D amp. I can still back out. I already bought the amp though. Should I get 12's instead?? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY GHEY MIND!!!!!!I'm out. thanks for your help.
It sounds like the guy at the stereo shop was trying to make a sale. You can't even compare the JLs to Earthquake!! It is obvious by your other posts that you are looking for SQ above SPL, but want both. I don't know much about the power and enclosure requirements of the JL W7s, but if you follow JLs reccomendations I think you can't go wrong. Don't get the Earthquakes unless you really can't afford the JLs...even then there are lots of other brands out there.

Tony
Old 02-06-2002, 01:53 PM

Let me guess, this guy does not sell the W7's? I think once you know for sure wht you want you gotta get it. Others opinions don't matter there not buying it. Forget what youve read listen for your self.

On another note normal litening level is about 90 db. 130db start hearing lose over time. 140-145 is what most people that want it loud seem to be at.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:38 PM

thinkin bout the crystal 12 inchers CMP-series...very expensive though. mmmm they look good..
Old 02-06-2002, 04:47 PM

thinkin bout the crystal 12 inchers CMP-series...very expensive though. mmmm they look good..
mb quart premium
Old 02-06-2002, 05:52 PM

15's good

i have 2 JL 15 W-3's pushed by 1400 watts of ppi power, they arent "slow" they hit very clean and very loud if you turn the bass up, but you always have the option of turning it down, have you heard earthquakes before? like the other guy said go with what you know
Old 02-06-2002, 07:13 PM

Re: 15's good

Originally posted by cornaisp
i have 2 JL 15 W-3's pushed by 1400 watts of ppi power, they arent "slow" they hit very clean and very loud if you turn the bass up, but you always have the option of turning it down, have you heard earthquakes before? like the other guy said go with what you know
Earthquakes are capable of gettin loud but I would not say that they a clean and acurate.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by max'n out

mb quart premium
Crystals have better specs and reviews.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:30 AM
jmax

If you are using a pre-fab box I would't use a sub that retails for more than $150. It would simply be a waste of money for the box and the sub. If you go with a high end sub, make sure the enclosure matches. Pre-fab most likely will not. Some might come close, but then you have a cheap lookin' high quality sub. Who wants a high quality sub in a cheap lookin' unbraced box with 3/4 inch walls?

Old 02-07-2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by FahCue

Crystals have better specs and reviews.
Not even.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:27 PM

Not even.
prove it
Old 02-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would say skip the earthquakes if you good clean hard hitting bass, I''m not a big fan of JL but they do have some decent stuff. I think if you chose the perfects you would be quite happy, but get them from an authorized reseller in case u run into and issues, and they have a break in period so be aware of that. NOw if you want a sub that will cave in your chest and sound damn good doing it chexk out Audiomobile www.audiomobileinc.com . All there stuff is good, but there MASS series is the best,. I'm doing 2 12's and it blows away the competetion.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by StillenIsaJoke

prove it
Show me somthing that says crystal is better than the new quart premiums. If you can I'll say that you whree right ive just never seen a review like that. And quite honestly having heard both i can't see it.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:51 PM

Show me somthing that says crystal is better than the new quart premiums. If you can I'll say that you whree right ive just never seen a review like that. And quite honestly having heard both i can't see it.

too lazy. I looked at both subs and the crystals have better specs...Higher RMS and 3" coil. Heard a lot of good things too.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:02 AM

too lazy. I looked at both subs and the crystals have better specs...Higher RMS and 3" coil. Heard a lot of good things too.

RMS ratings are worthless. Many subs are underrated like amps are.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:11 AM
jmax

Exactly what information did you learn from the manufactuers published specs? I mean, other than the RMS rating and voice coil diameter? Voice coil material, winding, and height are a few other things that affect power rating. But since most amps very rarely come close to their RMS power output in non-spl vehicles, it really isn't an overly important spec for the average enthusiast. I would pay more attentin to the Thiel, Small parameters in order to find a sub that will fit your application.

Old 02-08-2002, 09:40 AM

Forget specs for a sec. Look at the subs for the technology they use. The quart premium use the newest and greatest stuff. And most importatly make it work. Ratings, well I could write anything. that doesn't make it true. But, I really want to see this article thats says crystal over quart. Also how do you think a higher rated rms is better? Just means it wants a bigger amp in theory. That to me don't make it better. For me I want a sub that can deal with a little power and play very accurate. And to make that even better handle a lot of power to go loud and work in different enclosures very well. This is why to me the quart my be the best all around sub out.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:08 AM

Forget specs for a sec. Look at the subs for the technology they use. The quart premium use the newest and greatest stuff. And most importatly make it work. Ratings, well I could write anything. that doesn't make it true. But, I really want to see this article thats says crystal over quart. Also how do you think a higher rated rms is better? Just means it wants a bigger amp in theory. That to me don't make it better. For me I want a sub that can deal with a little power and play very accurate. And to make that even better handle a lot of power to go loud and work in different enclosures very well. This is why to me the quart my be the best all around sub out.
Yes, you do have a very good point there. The Crystal's came out in 1998. It sounds like the MB's have newer features from what you are saying. I also think the MB's are alittle cheaper, crystals are $249 each. I know their Mids and high's are one of the best around. You think the subs are too? What do you think of Audiomobile subs? They look like a quality sub also. Do you have MB subs??? I'm just lookin for a really clean bass, that really thumps. Something that makes you have trouble breathing while sounding crystal clear at the sametime. You think the MB's can do this Job? I know the Crystals can.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:13 AM

Yes, you do have a very good point there. The Crystal's came out in 1998. It sounds like the MB's have newer features from what you are saying. I also think the MB's are alittle cheaper, crystals are $249 each. I know their Mids and high's are one of the best around. You think the subs are too? What do you think of Audiomobile subs? They look like a quality sub also. Do you have MB subs??? I'm just lookin for a really clean bass, that really thumps. Something that makes you have trouble breathing while sounding crystal clear at the sametime. You think the MB's can do this Job? I know the Crystals can.
Crystal like quart ranges in price depending which you level you look at. The highest level 12" crystal has to offer retails for $499. Where as the quart premium 12" retails for $400. Quart to me at this point with the premium has one of the best subs out to this point. For what ever application so long as it's not 170db spl comps. I don't have much experience to formally anoce an opinion on audiomobile subs. Yes I have quart subs now. Though on my hompage you can see the old install with nak subs. I think that you will be happy with the quarts. They sound great at any volume and with some power get pretty loud.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:28 PM

Crystal like quart ranges in price depending which you level you look at. The highest level 12" crystal has to offer retails for $499. Where as the quart premium 12" retails for $400. Quart to me at this point with the premium has one of the best subs out to this point. For what ever application so long as it's not 170db spl comps. I don't have much experience to formally anoce an opinion on audiomobile subs. Yes I have quart subs now. Though on my hompage you can see the old install with nak subs. I think that you will be happy with the quarts. They sound great at any volume and with some power get pretty loud.
Well here is the subs I have just ordered. Subwoofer Specifications Getting them for $375 each which is cost.

Size: 12 inch
Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.90 cu.ft.
Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.50 cu.ft.
Free Air Usage: not recommended
Sensitivity: 89.4 dB
Frequency Response: 20-250 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 800 W
Peak Power Handling: 1600 W
Impedance: dual 2 ohms Weight: 44 lbs

Your Subwoofer: PWD 304 12" Dual Voice Coil PREMIUM Subwoofer
Specs:
Frequency Response: 17-300
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Power Range: 1000 max watts
Crossover Freq: n/a Hz

As you can see...the Crystal sub is better IMO..Where is the RMS? The voice coil is larger then the MB quarts too. Why won't don't they tell you? Also I think the Crystal subs require a smaller air space (I think) because it won't say on yours. Also I got the specs directly from the website. I think these are just opinions. I don't think one of these subs is better then the other. They are both on the same level..IMO..its good to know this info.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:17 PM
jmax

So, like I thought, nothing useful. Where are Vas, Qts, Qms, Qes, Xmax, Cms, Mms, Sag, Fs, Sd, and the rest?????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Old 02-08-2002, 04:49 PM

Heres the quarts: From there site
"Diameter 12”
Sensitivity 87.1db

Dc resisitance :1.65
Fs: 23 HZ
Qms: 10.4
Qes: .41
Qts: 0.4
Vas: 4.238
X max .393
Power 400 watts"

Now i'll go try to find crystals
Old 02-08-2002, 05:02 PM

and heres what i find for crystal

cmpx2 12"

"power 1600 watts
sensitivity 89.4

f3 42 heartz"

and/or

ces12"

" sensitivity 86.4

fc 66.7 hz

f3 52.5 hz

qtc 1.00

and/ or

cmp x2
sensitity : 89.9

fb 59.7

qtc .74

there ya go take your pick
Old 02-08-2002, 08:30 PM

I am done arguing. they r both good subs. its all opinion and what u know
Old 02-08-2002, 09:00 PM

I am done arguing. they r both good subs. its all opinion and what u know
I do have one last q for you, have you heard both in person in a car?
Old 02-08-2002, 09:16 PM

who cares you get all your info from tony fat fingers who dropped outta highschool
Old 02-08-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by black019
who cares you get all your info from tony fat fingers who dropped outta highschool
Old 02-08-2002, 09:42 PM
jmax

Who cares. Even if you run it through wpell check they are a long shot from being an SQ sub and fitting in a car.

Old 02-08-2002, 09:47 PM
jmax

Did I really say wpell check? I meant spell check. But none of these kids know how to build a speaker enclosure so who cares?

Old 02-08-2002, 09:50 PM

I also think we lost the original point of this post so long ago. Man this turned into somthing odd.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:21 PM

This is my last post for this thread....I have been lookin' at the SoundDomain.com forums for a couple of hours now. I went to the subwoofer section because I really want to know if I'm getting a top notch sub for my money. I went to search and put in the Crystal CMPx-2 subwoofer. Approximatley 25 threads came up. Not one person said one bad thing about them. Every comment was "excellent sub, Amazing........" and so on..For an SQ sub that is one of the best along with the IDMAX and Audiomobile MASS. Most people said the Crystal is the best for the money. Not once was the MB quart premium subwoofer mentioned! I must have looked at 300-350 posts on subwoofers. I really wanted to know about the MB's because if you say what you say they are then I would consider them. I am usally open for all opinions and comments. Also, if something is the **** like the MB quart premium sub I'm going to give it props. I wouldn't put it down... Simple as that. I hope this matter it settled...Anyway, thank you for all your help! Word...

-PureMax
Old 02-09-2002, 07:54 AM

This is my last post for this thread....I have been lookin' at the SoundDomain.com forums for a couple of hours now. I went to the subwoofer section because I really want to know if I'm getting a top notch sub for my money. I went to search and put in the Crystal CMPx-2 subwoofer. Approximatley 25 threads came up. Not one person said one bad thing about them. Every comment was "excellent sub, Amazing........" and so on..For an SQ sub that is one of the best along with the IDMAX and Audiomobile MASS. Most people said the Crystal is the best for the money. Not once was the MB quart premium subwoofer mentioned! I must have looked at 300-350 posts on subwoofers. I really wanted to know about the MB's because if you say what you say they are then I would consider them. I am usally open for all opinions and comments. Also, if something is the **** like the MB quart premium sub I'm going to give it props. I wouldn't put it down... Simple as that. I hope this matter it settled...Anyway, thank you for all your help! Word...

-PureMax

The MB Quart subs are fairly new, so not many people have them. Not many people bought their old subs back in the early '90s either, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good. You don't see many Velodyne SC subs either, but they kick ***.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:30 AM
jmax

"The MB Quart subs are fairly new, so not many people have them. Not many people bought their old subs back in the early '90s either, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good. You don't see many Velodyne SC subs either, but they kick ***." - Micah

Exactly There are so many subs like this. The ones that typically get tons of feedback are those used for SPL. Because let's face it. Kids want to be able to hear it from 10 miles away. 99.9% can't even imagine what SQ is. And if you get a great sub and only an average amp, it won't sound better than average. It think somebody forgot that this thread is really about the new motor technology used in the GTI's, W7's and Brahma. All unique and focused on keeping the cones travel linear, as opposed to the normal approaches that can have 10% or more distortion easy. Why get an amp with 0.10% THD if you have a sub with 10%, and vise versa?

Old 02-09-2002, 10:14 AM

I agree the quarts p'S havn't been out for long. And if you havn't gone to a shop that sells that kinda stuff or to comps you prob havnt seen the premiums, yet.

Again what sounds good to one person may not to another. How many people go into a store and say hey I want a sub that is going to reproduce the lower octives at a very relistic tone right upfront. May educated guess not many.

Now as for what you found on the internet, well good for you. A bunch of people that could be saying anything. You have not heard them in person. I have. I speak from experience. Your going by numbers and probley a bunch of bass heads.

Bottom line b4 you deceide on anything you need to hear and see it in person. This is for anybody.

I have nothing to gain from promoting quart. other than alot of wasted time. If you want crystal over quart I don't really care. But I think you bought into marketing. After all everybody saw the W7 and the numbers and ran out to get it. Just like the W3 b4 it and the w5. Thats just the way it is. Go look and hear for youself.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:38 PM

-PureMax
>--venom--<
Old 02-12-2002, 10:33 PM
jmax

>--venom--<
Most replies try to say something. I guess the words were to complex to elaborate.

Quick Reply: Ditched the JLW7 12" getting magma 15" earthquakes..Please help!