Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Word of advice to those with $$$ systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 01:39 PM

Word of advice to those with $$$ systems

Hey guys, my car was recently stolen and i figured out how they did it. My car is a 98'Nissan Maxima. The Factory security system is supposed to have some kind of starter kill, so for example when you break a window and open the car door from the outside, then go in and try to start the car, it will not work. Well that's exactly what happened with my vehicle, but they still stole the car somehow. The police just found it the other day and i had a chance to look at it. They broke the tumnler off, so either the starter kill is wired to the tumbler so it won't turn when the security has been breached, or the theives bypassed the starter kill somehow because i saw a few pieces of wire with the ends stripped off. So now I just have to figure out where they bypassed or shorted out the factory starter kill. If someone knows otherwise, or the correct information, please inform me. All you need now is a screwdriver to start tbe car. When I get another chance, i will go back and figure out extacly how the did it.
So basically I am just letting you guys know that the factory security system is not sufficent to keep a theif from stealing your car, if they have any clue of what they are doing. If you have expensive stereo systems and or other items in or on the vehicle or just don't want your car to be stolen, please purhcase an aftermarket alarm with starter and ignition kill and if possible a kill switch or auto immobolizer type option. The mistake I made was that i was waiting on a new harness for my alarm, so i put in my system first instead...BIG MISTAKE. So FIRST thing you do if you plan to do any kind of mods or audio thigns to your car, get a quality aftermarket alarm. They stole my airbags too, so even if you don't have anything in your vehicle, please be aware your car is still a target. Also A club and any other visualy anti-theft devices make a difference, led's whatever. Before I didn't think so, but now after my car was stolen, now I can honestly believe that all those other little things may have made a difference. THanks for listening
Old 01-20-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Word of advice to those with $$$ systems

can i moderator also post this in the 4th gen forum too maybe? i guess it has to do with their cars also. Thanks
Old 01-20-2002, 01:50 PM

i'm really sorry to hear about your car, mine's on cinder blocks right now but i can't imagine how i would feel if they stole the whole car, i'm getting an alarm as soon as i get my wheels on thanks for your post, i feel the same way, people should get some security device as soon as they can, i know i wish i would have gotten one as soon as i bought my car
Old 01-20-2002, 02:26 PM

Aftermarket Alarm

i recommend getting the clifford alarm system, they offer like 2-3 grand if your car is stolen, and as far as i know it is the only alarm on the market, that continues to protect your car even after the computer has been disconected, i also have the factory alarm wired to the clifford alarm.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree with carnal...

Cliffords are great alarms to have. Very reliable. Sorry to hear about your car being violated. I've had my share of automotive violations, and it never feels good to hear it happen to somebody else.

I'd suggest the new 'club' that locks your clutch/brake pedal to the floor. I think it's called the AutoLock, or something like that (bright red, all metal). Nobody's gonna steal your car with one of those on - they're a pain to get off even when you have the keys sometimes!

peace2u
Old 01-26-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: I agree with carnal...

sorry to hear about the loss

trust me... no alarm can save your car... if a thief knows what he is doing (and they DO), they can take your car, despite having alarms, starter kill, etc etc etc... you gotta be careful where you park your car. Also, insurance is a good feature to have for people with stereos... i got my stereo insured under my car policy.

goodluck with your car
Old 01-29-2002, 10:48 PM

i dont have any personal experience with cliffords - but everyone pretty much has nothing bad to say about them........ that autolock thing is looking pretty good too - BUT DONT BUY THAT MULTILOCK GARBAGE!!!!!!! -its a POS