Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Ported Boxes..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Ported Boxes..

Hello,

Question to whoever can answer.

If you have a tuned box with subs then put it in your trunk, doesn't that create a trap for the Bass?

I'm asking because I've always gone sealed but was looking into setting up a ported box. But tuning a box seems pointless if I'm installing it into a closed and sealed trunk (no including cracks and such cause a trunk isn't 100% sealed).

Shouldn't you ideally put ventilation in the rear deck?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM

a ported box will not be useless. you'll get a ton more output compared to a sealed enclosure.

think about it...say you're producing 3 units of bass with a sealed box, and only 2 units gets into the cabin. with a ported box you're producing 6 units, and 4 makes it into the cabin. end result? output will be noticeably louder.

the bass will travel through the rear seat, but yes having vents in your rear deck will definately help. in my car, i simply removed the rear deck speakers so the bass can vent into the cabin.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Ported FTMFW. I can tell a HUGE HUGE difference between sealed and ported. Do it, you wont be disappointed
Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM

dynamat (or whatever brand you prefer) on the whole trunk will also get you louder.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:45 PM

It all depends on the setup really about sealed vs. ported. I've heard both sound better than the other depending on application.

I've heard numerous T-line, ported, sealed, bandpass, etc. enclosures. It all boils down to how it's engineered, quality of materials, types of subwoofers, and so on.

I've learned so much over the last few months watching HexiBase's You Tube channel it's crazy. He is an acoustical engineer, and has even developed his own software program to properly test a car, truck, or suv's acoustics to determine which would be the best enclosure setup for that particular application according to head unit, amps, subs, mid's and highs, etc. He used to be with Team Toxic Bass, if anyone remembers that.

Here's a video of a demo he's doing, and at the end of the video, he puts the dB meter to it and gets a reading of 152.6

Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM

off topic but damn he packed on a lot of weight since i last watched one of his videos...

and yeah the man does some great work with his enclosure designs.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
off topic but damn he packed on a lot of weight since i last watched one of his videos...

and yeah the man does some great work with his enclosure designs.
Yeah he was a lot thinner back in the day. I believe it's due to some sort of health problem/medication. Either way this dude is a professional and one of these days I'd like to get an enclosure design from him. If anyone is out in Arizona, hit this guy up. He has a website called http://pwkdesigns.com/ I've yet to see anyone as detailed, scientific, and comprehensive as him with his engineering and designs. There is a project assessment form link on his website where you plug in your vehicle info, head unit, speaker size and type, etc., and your desired performance. And with his own proprietary software (for a price of course) he can acoustically design and calculate the size and type of enclosure that would be best suited for your specific vehicle, whether it's a car, truck, or suv with your maximum given diameters of the space to place your enclosure. This way, he doesn't design an enclosure that won't fit in the trunk of your Maxima.

To make a long story short, anyone that wants serious sound quality and performance, check this guy out. He has won numerous car audio competitons with his designs over the years. If I ever get around to doing the audio in my Maxima, this guy will be the one that designs my subwoofer enclosure for me.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM

yeah....but i rather do my own stuff. more fun that way.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM

yeah....but i rather do my own stuff. more fun that way.
PWK Designs can still design you an enclosure and send you the blueprints to build it yourself.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
PWK Designs can still design you an enclosure and send you the blueprints to build it yourself.
oh i know he can, but i still prefer to calculate stuff myself and what-not. i think it's more gratifying.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 PM

oh i know he can, but i still prefer to calculate stuff myself and what-not. i think it's more gratifying.
Understood... so what do you use to calculate your acoustical needs as far as enclosure designs go?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Understood... so what do you use to calculate your acoustical needs as far as enclosure designs go?
i have some stuff programmed into my ti-86 graphing calculator that i use to figure stuff out whenever i'm making boxes (port diameter/area, port length, tuning freq etc)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

i have some stuff programmed into my ti-86 graphing calculator that i use to figure stuff out whenever i'm making boxes (port diameter/area, port length, tuning freq etc)
Sounds good. Math unfortunately isn't one of my strong points.