Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Infinity Kappa 2 ohm

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Infinity Kappa 2 ohm

Hey guys,

First let me say that my search does not work for some reason so if this has been asked before I apologize.

I just purchased a Kenwood Excelon kdc-x595 to replace my Bose Head unit. I am still gonna use the Bose amps and speakers for now.
As I was browsing around for that HU I wanted to see what decent speakers are out there and if it is worth my money right now to upgrade speakers too. I ran across these few models of Infinity Kappa series that are all rated at 2 ohm. I am only looking for 6.5/6.75s for direct swap.

So my question is:
Since the Bose speakers are 1 ohm can I get these Kappas and just put them in and run them with the stock Bose amps?

I read, and read, and read for the last few days but I couldn't find anything online and since my search here don't work I figured to ask

Thank you all in advance for the input!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 PM

bump

come on guys, someone has to have an idea about this. . .
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Won't sound that good, but you can, might be slightly better than blose.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:27 PM
blah

Since the bose are rated at 1 ohm and these Infinity Kappa that you're looking at are rated at 2 ohm you will get half the power that the bose amps are capable of sent to your infinity speakers. You are better off saving up some more money and getting a separate amp to power whatever speakers you finally get. Personally I'm not a fan of Infinity speakers but if they make you happy that's all that matters.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Originally Posted by Batxel
Since the bose are rated at 1 ohm and these Infinity Kappa that you're looking at are rated at 2 ohm you will get half the power that the bose amps are capable of sent to your infinity speakers. You are better off saving up some more money and getting a separate amp to power whatever speakers you finally get. Personally I'm not a fan of Infinity speakers but if they make you happy that's all that matters.
So what are you a fan of? I was just thinking if someone has done it mostly. I have a decent background in technology but with all the mixed info online about the actual specs of the Kappa speakers I wasn't sure what to think.

I can always connect the speakers in parallel to keep the ohms down but then that might mess up the amps too. I was looking for a golden middle and the cheapest replacement options.

I am planning eventually getting all new speakers and an amp and running everything the proper way. For now it looks like I will stick with the new HU and BOSE speakers/amps.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM

There might be a chance of blowing your Kappas. I wouldn't recommend it. Find the proper speakers to replace the BOSE speakers, then run it off either your HU or an after market amp.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Q

Originally Posted by djipka
Thanks for the replies guys!

So what are you a fan of? I was just thinking if someone has done it mostly. I have a decent background in technology but with all the mixed info online about the actual specs of the Kappa speakers I wasn't sure what to think.

I can always connect the speakers in parallel to keep the ohms down but then that might mess up the amps too. I was looking for a golden middle and the cheapest replacement options.

I am planning eventually getting all new speakers and an amp and running everything the proper way. For now it looks like I will stick with the new HU and BOSE speakers/amps.
I would recommend that you use the HU with the stock speakers. I am sure your HU has EQ to make the speakers sound better than BOSE HU.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The kappas won't blow.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM

I am sure nothing will blow if I use the Kappas with the BOSE amps. I am after a cheap solution to upgrading the sound. The HU (already here and waiting for the weekend to install it) will make a ton of difference already and if I can get better speakers without having to get new amp and run new wires that will be just awesome.