Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

General harness question (Bose related)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Wild for Width

General harness question (Bose related)

This question is actually regarding a Q45 that I picked up that was originally equipped with the same Bose head unit as the 4th gens.

There is currently a bleh mid 2000's Kenwood deck running through the original Bose speakers. There is a hiss at unit powered on but no volume and it simply gets drowned out with volume (does not increase with volume). I am assuming that this must be connected with the Metra harness but the outputs are not balanced and I am hearing that, I haven't pulled the dash trim yet though.

Depending on what I come across first, I am either going to swap in another Q45/J30/Max/G20 Bose unit or install an in-dash DVD/CD/Nav. unit, but I certainly will not deal with the hiss if a go for the in-dash.

My general question is:

If the Metra harness is already plugged up to the factory harness, is it simply plug and play between different receivers after that? Or is a different harness/adapter required between different makes and models?

Last edited by Fr33way™; 03-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM

There is no ground (black) in the factory harness, the radio needs to be grounded separately. If the radio is grounded threw just the antenna this will cause a hum.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Wild for Width

So you think I am experiencing a ground loop issue? This unit was not installed by me so I certainly can't confirm a good ground. Doesn't ground loop get amplified though? As in, with no media playing as I turn the volume up it should increase?

Any thoughts the harness question? If I pick up a different head unit (non-Bose) should it plug up to the Metra adapter that is currently there?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i got the factory bose in my 01 se and used metra harness
and installed a jensen vm9311 seris and it sounded decen
but im now back to my bose until i fig out what made it
sound distorted @ mid to upper volumes i been reading all over bout how
diffrent headunits have diffrent voltage on the amp aux plugs
and i used a cheap walmart antenna adapter is one place i think i went wrong
and 2 i also read about how there is no ground in the maximas factory harness thus being grounded by the cage/antenna just wondering if this was where i lost sound quality this headunit has been in several of my prev. vehicles and has sounded killer any one that could help me with this issue email me @ sp_aj_thaxton@yahoo.com or text me @ 931-743-3735 if your vzw