Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

need assistance on making a system

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 PM

need assistance on making a system

its for my wifes maxima, and honestly i have not done a system in over 10 years so im at a loss on whats out there

she listens to :

salsa
reggae
reggaeton
rap
and earth wind and fire when i drive the car.

she has bose so i already know i have to take all that out, but what kind of deck should i go with? i'm leaning toward a single din with usb/aux inputs, and a complete speaker setup. she said that she wants some subs in the trunk, i was thinking 2 10's would be good, thats what i had in my old 92 and it was perfect. my budget is around $800-$100 including amps and install.

anyone have any good recomendations?, any help is appreciated.

thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Create From Nothing

talk to Don (Pearl96Max), he is the audio guru for this forum (as far as I'm concerned). he can point you in the right direction, and give you some great prices. He is also authorized to sell anything he recommends you so it will come with the factory warranty
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM

First off I would start with a mid range Pioneer head unit (W 3 pre-outs) and you do not have to rip out the bose now days metra and peripheral make adapters you just need a deck with 3 sets of rep-outs. WHY Pioneer you ask? First off they are reasonably priced and a quality deck. Secondly, there mid range decks have 4v w 3 sets of pre-outs a huge difference if your doing an amp sub. Third, THEY ARE EASY TO CONTROL FOR WOMEN! All the controls are laid out in front of you for the basics and the sub control. Yet complicated enough that hopefully she wont find the EQ and cross over so you have to reset it every time your in the car.

Now speakers if you replace the speakers you will be closer if not over your 1000 limit if your having it installed. Unless you take it to the ghetto and have people who have NO idea what they are doing, BAD!!!! But speakers.... Infinity have the best highs for the best price there sensitivity rating (clearer) is high and they run at 2.2 ohms(louder), Alpine a lil more expensive for a mid range speaker, excellent for vocals and mid bass... Pioneers ahh lower end mid-line still produce a good sound and cheap.

Subs and amp there are a world of diff possibilities... Always keep your rms on your subs close to your amp rms....you do not need a 1000w amp for boss 60w rms subs I also recommend staying with same brand amp and subs, you dont have to but they always sounded better with like brand installs! 2 10s perfect for what you listen too, they hit hard for the salsa and reggie and drop low enough for the rap. Now basic name brands.... Kicker, rockford your gonna get the loud low bass not exactly known for there clarity and hard hitting pop from 10s. Infinty again even there low end REF series are awesome (just my opinion) clear, hit hard, drops down decently low, high peak power hard to blow. Kenwood, Pioneer good product, ok bass, cheaper i would see more of these come back then any other. For a 2 10 set up for prob looking at a 500w to 750w class d mono or 2 channel amp.... Stay with a class D amp if you can they are more efficient. If you run a 2 ch class a/b amp they usually run hotter because they dont use their power as efficiently... they are not bad amps and they are cheaper then the class d's

Now there are 100's of brands out there I didnt mention, I just wanted to give you food for thought on the basics your going to see at best buy and crutchfield. I worked for circuit, best buy and a few other small shops for about 10 years doing 12v installs. Now installers have god like complex's so I am sure at some point another installer will say Im wrong.... But this is all from my experience... hope it gets you on the right foot.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 AM

fellas, thanks for the input, i was looking at a few decks on crutchfield last night, and there was a few DD that looked decent, but this info is starting to make me remember some of the basics that people told me back in the day.

i was not aware of the different classes for amps.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tommiekatt916
I worked for circuit, best buy and a few other small shops for about 10 years doing 12v installs. Now installers have god like complex's so I am sure at some point another installer will say Im wrong.... But this is all from my experience... hope it gets you on the right foot.
You are absolutely entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
(Please don't take sarcasm seriously)

Infinity sounded good when I worked at Circuit City too, compared to the Pioneer TS-D's or the Kicker DS's. If you follow the advice of the 2nd poster, Don here only sells high end gear, and you are always better off going with a high end brand's entry product than a crappy brand's best product.

Like branded product doesn't sound any better. If I were you (OP), on your budget, I would probably look into a 5 channel amp, if you aren't looking for slamming bass - save money as opposed to buying two amps and needing additional wiring. Get some Rainbow SLC's from Don, and a couple simple but quality 10's, or even a single 12, a single amp, and call it a day. Quality installation is definitely as important as the product itself, so research some good local installers.

There are definitely a million different options, so I would wait until Don replies and buy some quality audio equipment, and then count the days before you upgrade your own car with something better
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Suspension Yoda

What ^^^ this guy said.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I ordered from Crutchfield today and they gave me this referral code. You guys are more than welcome to use it. You get $20 off your first order at Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/sendafriend/

code: pydga-rijpj-h080g
Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM

What did you order?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by kpr10is

Infinity sounded good when I worked at Circuit City too, compared to the Pioneer TS-D's or the Kicker DS's. If you follow the advice of the 2nd poster, Don here only sells high end gear, and you are always better off going with a high end brand's entry product than a crappy brand's best product.

Like branded product doesn't sound any better. If I were you (OP), on your budget, I would probably look into a 5 channel amp, if you aren't looking for slamming bass - save money as opposed to buying two amps and needing additional wiring. Get some Rainbow SLC's from Don, and a couple simple but quality 10's, or even a single 12, a single amp, and call it a day. Quality installation is definitely as important as the product itself, so research some good local installers.

There are definitely a million different options, so I would wait until Don replies and buy some quality audio equipment, and then count the days before you upgrade your own car with something better

who's this NOOB?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
What did you order?
a head unit.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by NickStam
a head unit.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by mendon99
who's this NOOB?
Dunno, there are definitely some lurkers around these parts
Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Suspension Yoda

Btw Navfe, sorry for the thread hijack buddy
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM

Like branded product doesn't sound any better.

If you stick with like brand like infinity speakers with a infinity 4 channel amp they work better, more efficient because they research and tune with their own product. Alpine MRP amps are best matched with their Type S and R subs. BECAUSE the R&D department for alpine tunes the amp on their own subs.

And I listed common and mid level stuff because of his budget. If there was another g or 2 in his budget I would have recommended focal or Diamond TDX, Alpine X Like I said installers have a god like complex dont tell us we are wrong or newbs. Besides we are here to help not belittle peoples facts or opinions.

Last edited by Tommiekatt916; 02-15-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude

Clarion CX201 CD Receiver
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Btw Navfe, sorry for the thread hijack buddy
ITS ALL GOOD HOME SKILLETT!!

but this is why i may need custom

Last edited by Blackwind; 02-15-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Clarion CX201 CD Receiver
thats the single din one right> i think i was looking at that one.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM

I WAS THINKING ON A 5 CH AMP SO I COULD KEEP STUFF SIMPLE, what are slc'S? is that that new stereo slang the youngsters are talkin bout?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Suspension Yoda

Haha, Rainbow SLC's are a brand/model of some pretty freakin sweet speakers. Much better than the mainstream stuff you find in the stores.

If you have questions just give me a call dude.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Haha, Rainbow SLC's are a brand/model of some pretty freakin sweet speakers. Much better than the mainstream stuff you find in the stores.

If you have questions just give me a call dude.
THEN THATS WHAT IM PUTTING IN MY CAR LATER
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
thats the single din one right> i think i was looking at that one.
Double
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM

If you stick with like brand like infinity speakers with a infinity 4 channel amp they work better, more efficient because they research and tune with their own product.
Please provide proof of this. Or name someone who competes with only like branded product. Or any reasoning behind this at all.

An amplifier's efficiency has nothing to do with the speaker it is driving. Yes, the impedance of the speaker will affect the output of the amp given that the amp has an unregulated power supply, but if he buys the proper amp this is almost a non-issue.

OP, Call djfrestyl and ignore everything else. There are way too many brands out there combined with many mistruths about car audio in general, especially on the internet.

Yes, sorry for the threadjack.
Nilesh and Brendon, notice the post times between 9 and 5pm...lurking while at my new job on t3h intrawebz, but still working at the shop on weekends.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

What's wrong with posting from work?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Double
wow!! good call on that one, i like it.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM

What's wrong with posting from work?

if im posting in all caps, im at work

ill call you this weekend man so i can talk your ear off about this.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Suspension Yoda

No prob buddy
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Ok im going just agree to disagree Makes sense to me that you would use all the same brand speakers in your car to voice match them. Just like a certain brand names amps are tuned and designed using their own speakers...Ive taken the time to compare kicker vr subs on a alpine amp then put the alpine type e's on the same amp. The e's sounded better on alpine amp. Done the same with kicker amp and infinty amp. The subs always sounded better on thier own amps.... TO ME and the other guy was working with.... As an installer w picky ears and being able to be around car audio for 10 years... thats my experience... w amp subs

Nothing wrong with posting at work... only reason Im all the time is my arms in a cast..you try typing this crap one handed see how long it takes you
Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM

My two jobs either involve a keyboard or installing car audio.

One handed? God I hope not. <knocks on wood>
Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 AM
tastey wheat

Kev, I'm still installing car audio (its getting old now). I'd love something in computers.. I envy you sir
Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Suspension Yoda

If you're willing to move to NYC I could probably help you out...got any experience?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 AM

I love just being at the shop on weekends. Enough to still keep a pulse on the industry but not severely tied to it.

I had zero computer experience other than a degree in M.I.S. (and I feel like bachelors degrees mean d!ck these days) so I had to intern unpaid for 4 months to get my current job. Both have pros and cons but long-term the cons of (almost all) shops only get worse. I had the day after Thanksgiving off, day before Christmas off, New Years Eve day off....the honeymoon of car audio only lasts so long.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ nail --> head.

During the week I have ZERO time to work on cars. I use free time at work to line up customers for the weekend, which even without car jobs, are packed as is.

But it's becoming very obvious that working on cars during the weekends is not going to last forever, the small financial benefits are worth it for now but won't be for long.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
blah

As an installer w picky ears and being able to be around car audio for 10 years... thats my experience...
Wow, I applaud your 10 years of experience. My subwoofers are 10 years old now. They have been hooked up to an amp from another brand for 10 years and it still sounds good. I must have f'd up according to your theory.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 PM
tastey wheat

If you're willing to move to NYC I could probably help you out...got any experience?
light IT and lots and lots of software/hardware install/diagnosing. moving to NYC is a big negative, thinking about that area makes me cringe (SO crowded)

I love the 12v industry, but the shop I'm at now is the worst I've ever worked for. NO ONE knows how to manage down here....and qualified installers just don't get paid what they used to like in the 90s, or the boom of car audio. Car audio is a dieing breed, home audio/entertainment is coming up and killing it (I assume because people don't want tput money into something that depreciates in value, rather the opposite)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
light IT and lots and lots of software/hardware install/diagnosing. moving to NYC is a big negative, thinking about that area makes me cringe (SO crowded)

I love the 12v industry, but the shop I'm at now is the worst I've ever worked for. NO ONE knows how to manage down here....and qualified installers just don't get paid what they used to like in the 90s, or the boom of car audio. Car audio is a dieing breed, home audio/entertainment is coming up and killing it (I assume because people don't want tput money into something that depreciates in value, rather the opposite)

I agree its very much a dieing breed! I got into it in 99 and loved it, those first 3 or 4 years MADE A KILLING and remote starts were simple. Hardest thing you would come across was VATS lol.... I had the same thing love 12v hated the company I worked for and frankly not going back... The money just isnt there. Unfortunately everyone whos left the last 3 years have flooded any type of spin off careers for 12v.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM

Brendon, you coming down to Spring Break Nationals in Daytona? Wouldn't be too far of a drive. You also have more IT experience than I do from the sounds of it - I just got really lucky finding the right fit in a computer-related job. 'Good' installers have a lot of skills that are hard to translate to being desirable on a resume, which is why I did an unpaid internship, knowing that I could sell my skills once someone saw my work as opposed to my resume looking like I have experience.

I know installers who made 70k 10 years ago at Sound Advice. These days, you're lucky to make that as a shop owner. Personally, I think home audio was/is simply a few years behind car audio in the race to zero. The difference being that last year and this year, car audio hit the bottom of that race; most of the sh!thole shops closed, and the quality brands are gearing towards the specialty retailer again. It might be because I have much less of a feel for the home audio industry, but it sure feels to me like they are still in the race to the cheapest big-screen tv without concern for the impact of the death of specialty retailers and their knowledge/installation/etc.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 AM

So I put the Clarion in yesterday. Here's what it looks like if anyone cares

Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM

So I put the Clarion in yesterday. Here's what it looks like if anyone cares

thats money!! i believe thats the one my wife likes.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:03 PM
tastey wheat

Brendon, you coming down to Spring Break Nationals in Daytona? Wouldn't be too far of a drive. You also have more IT experience than I do from the sounds of it - I just got really lucky finding the right fit in a computer-related job. 'Good' installers have a lot of skills that are hard to translate to being desirable on a resume, which is why I did an unpaid internship, knowing that I could sell my skills once someone saw my work as opposed to my resume looking like I have experience.

I know installers who made 70k 10 years ago at Sound Advice. These days, you're lucky to make that as a shop owner. Personally, I think home audio was/is simply a few years behind car audio in the race to zero. The difference being that last year and this year, car audio hit the bottom of that race; most of the sh!thole shops closed, and the quality brands are gearing towards the specialty retailer again. It might be because I have much less of a feel for the home audio industry, but it sure feels to me like they are still in the race to the cheapest big-screen tv without concern for the impact of the death of specialty retailers and their knowledge/installation/etc.

I'm actually looking to move to Florida in a few months if everything works out, West Palm Beach to be exact... currently looking for a decent job. Will settle for 12v install again for now but looking hard to move on from there (done with retail!!!!).. I'm excited as I absolutely hate middle GA. I know exactly what you mean with proving your worth rather than writing it all down, that's how I got to lead tech where I'm at now... its tough to even get to sit down with an interviewer let alone them being able to sift through hundreds of useless people to find someone decent.. I feel more and more as the years go by that it has a ton to do with 'who you know'.. I may look into the internship thing tho!

There's a guy out of ATL that does about 5 or 6 HT installs a year, is backed up for years to come, and makes 6 figures easy. Busy as **** every week. I'd love to develop to that level, but as the old saying goes, 'the baker never has any bread at home' (or whatever) I'm all set with that..

As for Daytona... maybe. if not this year, some other, I'll be into car audio for years to come.

OP, sorry for the serious derailment of your thread.. radio looks good. you may (if you care) get a trim piece to cover the gap at the top, metra sells a double din grid plate that would take care of that with minimal effort.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Is this what you would need remove the gap?

http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-7417

Also, does this replace the trim piece that came with the radio? Does it screw into the bracket that holds the radio in place?

Quick Reply: need assistance on making a system