Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

JL audio W7 IN the DASH

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 09:40 PM

JL audio W7 IN the DASH

Putting subs in the dash has started to become very popular for sq competer's. I thought since it seemed like there was alot of interest in the w7 in this forum i'd show you guys this. Now it's still being built and it's not a maxima and it's not a spl car it's an sq car but worth checking out!!!!

http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimate...c&f=4&t=002243
Old 12-20-2001, 11:20 PM

youve got to be fu*&^in kidding me.. theres a place for everything.. and i just think thats dumb.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:27 AM

Why is that dumb? It's built for SQ, and from what I hear, it is better to have the sub up front so the bass doesn't get smeared toward the rear. It's obviously not a daily driver, and if you look at his sig, he is an IASCA champion, so he knows what he's doing. It's obviously a purpose built competition car that isn't going to be driven around everyday.

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe
youve got to be fu*&^in kidding me.. theres a place for everything.. and i just think thats dumb.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:54 AM

i wanted to put a 8" sub in my dash and thot it would be something worth bragging about.. but WOW a W7 that's just beyond my imagination
Old 12-21-2001, 07:54 AM
Lightly modded

I think thats a really good idea for a competition car. I'm sure its already been done, but either way its cool as **** with a W7! Has anybody put a sub in their dash yet in this club?
Old 12-21-2001, 09:07 AM

craziness

i thought you were talking about the back dash, but that is fuking crazy, that has to be a distraction when your driving, im workin on putting in center channel in my car and i thought that was gonna be a big deal
Old 12-21-2001, 09:33 AM
STFU n00b!

holey sheeit.
too bad the guy can't spell vinyl, but he does some cool stuff!
Old 12-21-2001, 10:31 AM

Brandon90gxe: Please don't make coments like that. It works theres alot of people putting subs in the dash i'm just not sure I want a W7 in the dash.

Shadow: It will be driven it's not gonna be an everyday comuter but it will be drivin.

mingo: 8"s have been dun. The thing now is to make sure no bass is in the rear more and more people are putting subs in the front wheather it be the dash, door, floor etc.

95maxrider: Heres a few others that did complete dash rebuilds to put subs in the dash:

Dale fontonote(spelling?) How sold his car to somebody else has a 11" focal in the dash you can see that at expertcar.com i think.
Scott Buwalda has a 12" quart in the dash Check it out at concertcar.com click install
Steve Brown who has a 10" in the dash he in my opinion has the best looking dash hands down. You can see part of it at alpine1.com click m3 showcar at the top.
mark eldrigde rebuilt his dash for horns

and so forth theres prob a good dozen guys that now have rebuilt dashes for subs, and a whole lot that have them in the door or floor. meaing 10-15" subs not 8"s.

cornaisp: The back is the rear deck not dash
Old 12-21-2001, 12:04 PM

Who's that dude with the Red BMW 540? I think the dude had a B&O set in his front fenders. Also, i think when the stereo was turned on, speakers would pop up and face the driver. That car was unreal!

GC

Originally posted by max'n out
Brandon90gxe: Please don't make coments like that. It works theres alot of people putting subs in the dash i'm just not sure I want a W7 in the dash.

Shadow: It will be driven it's not gonna be an everyday comuter but it will be drivin.

mingo: 8"s have been dun. The thing now is to make sure no bass is in the rear more and more people are putting subs in the front wheather it be the dash, door, floor etc.

95maxrider: Heres a few others that did complete dash rebuilds to put subs in the dash:

Dale fontonote(spelling?) How sold his car to somebody else has a 11" focal in the dash you can see that at expertcar.com i think.
Scott Buwalda has a 12" quart in the dash Check it out at concertcar.com click install
Steve Brown who has a 10" in the dash he in my opinion has the best looking dash hands down. You can see part of it at alpine1.com click m3 showcar at the top.
mark eldrigde rebuilt his dash for horns

and so forth theres prob a good dozen guys that now have rebuilt dashes for subs, and a whole lot that have them in the door or floor. meaing 10-15" subs not 8"s.

cornaisp: The back is the rear deck not dash
Old 12-21-2001, 12:17 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by Cisco
Who's that dude with the Red BMW 540? I think the dude had a B&O set in his front fenders. Also, i think when the stereo was turned on, speakers would pop up and face the driver. That car was unreal!

GC

Guys name was Earl Zimmerman . The speakers were 15" woofers from the B&W speakers. 1 in each front fender, and he in the end, removed the pop ups and build pods. Sold the car for like $35k wasnt it?
Old 12-21-2001, 12:31 PM

That car was dope though. I remember seeing that car when he had the Antera Opus rims on it. Overall, that car was wicked.

GC

Originally posted by Whitemax

Guys name was Earl Zimmerman . The speakers were 15" woofers from the B&W speakers. 1 in each front fender, and he in the end, removed the pop ups and build pods. Sold the car for like $35k wasnt it?
Old 12-21-2001, 02:48 PM

LOL WTF???

i can say whatever the hell i want!! What do you care?? personally, i think its dumb. And personally im entitled to my opinion. So personally i think you should not tell me what i should and shouldnt comment on. Thanks buddy.. have a nice day
Old 12-21-2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax

Yup that was him. That took a whole lot of work but had no foot room. I have no idea what he sold it for.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe

LOL WTF???

i can say whatever the hell i want!! What do you care?? personally, i think its dumb. And personally im entitled to my opinion. So personally i think you should not tell me what i should and shouldnt comment on. Thanks buddy.. have a nice day
Yes you are intiltled to an opionion. Itstead of just saying it's dumb why not say what you don't like about it instead of making bold face uneducated statements. Personally you need to stop trying that internet tuff guy act and grow up buddy.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:29 AM

yeoop i know the 8" in the dash has been done in a few cars already.. actually i got the idea off of the land cuiser... it comes stock with a lil midbass woofer in the center console very cool idea... iw ish i had a euro car that had a false firewall.. then id'e stuff a 10 in there... there was a slk demo car at goodguys that had that set up, sounded clean.. BUT WOW i am yet to see a car with a M-16 int he dash.. that would be killer
Old 12-22-2001, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by mingo
yeoop i know the 8" in the dash has been done in a few cars already.. actually i got the idea off of the land cuiser... it comes stock with a lil midbass woofer in the center console very cool idea... iw ish i had a euro car that had a false firewall.. then id'e stuff a 10 in there... there was a slk demo car at goodguys that had that set up, sounded clean.. BUT WOW i am yet to see a car with a M-16 int he dash.. that would be killer
The nsx also comes with a 10" in the passenger floor board. M16 as in the alumapro m16? I don't think I'd want to use that for sq either.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:23 PM

The nsx also comes with a 10" in the passenger floor board. M16 as in the alumapro m16? I don't think I'd want to use that for sq either.
yup the alumapro.. y not use it for sq??? that sub was basically built around sq
Old 12-22-2001, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by mingo
yup the alumapro.. y not use it for sq??? that sub was basically built around sq
Last specs I saw for it ( now granted that was before it was truley realeased) It was only rated to play from 10hz to 50hz. I need somthing that plays at least to about 100hz preferably 150.

But it is a kewl a$$ sub replace any part of it right there and it's got the great looks and pretty advanced.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:38 AM

Yes you are intiltled to an opionion. Itstead of just saying it's dumb why not say what you don't like about it instead of making bold face uneducated statements. Personally you need to stop trying that internet tuff guy act and grow up buddy.
I am tough!!! what what what.. you wanna mess with me ill kill you!!!! yea thats right!! hahahahahah

grow up? nah who the hell wants to do that?

i just think it looks wrong.. it looks dumb.. the idea of it is interesting, if its hidden.. but i dont like the idea of having a sub blow in my face.. seems uncomfortable or somethin.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:37 PM

hmmm...

where is all the stereo stuff? personally, i dont like it, i would go with the more tradition way, but if its for competition purposes mainly, then why not. but again, i wouldn't do that in my car, whether it was for competition or not. i would much rather have a lcd screen, dvd player, EQ, etc. in the dash. however, i always wanted to see a bunch of subs under the floor boards, maybe under the seats of a car(might work better in an SUV becuase is higher?). i'm not calling the guy dumb, or the idea dumb, so dont flame me, i like the tradition way of subs being in the trunk, but i give him credit for being original, i'm pretty sure he'll get credit for that at competitions.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:15 PM

Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by slick
where is all the stereo stuff? personally, i dont like it, i would go with the more tradition way, but if its for competition purposes mainly, then why not. but again, i wouldn't do that in my car, whether it was for competition or not. i would much rather have a lcd screen, dvd player, EQ, etc. in the dash. however, i always wanted to see a bunch of subs under the floor boards, maybe under the seats of a car(might work better in an SUV becuase is higher?). i'm not calling the guy dumb, or the idea dumb, so dont flame me, i like the tradition way of subs being in the trunk, but i give him credit for being original, i'm pretty sure he'll get credit for that at competitions.
Look at some other dashes take steve brown for example. Sub in the dash dvd 2 screens nav etc it can be dun I posted this one since so many people have spoken about the w7. Keep in mind it's no where near finished. All the stereo stuff? A sub and the speakers are in the dash that is stereo stuff. It's the only part dun yet. And it's not even dun. Thats prob around 500 hours already. There will be an eq upfront. It's not really orignal theres prob around a dozen guys that have subs up front again I posted cuz so many people love the w7 and I thought this would show them somthing different. I think too that a less "agressive" design is more appealing but I give him great credit I think in the end it will look pretty good and from what I hear about the gauges there gonna be completly orginal. So for everyone who is like "what that" keep thinking ahead to what it will be in the end. And nobody take this as a flame just some clarifications.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:32 PM

Last specs I saw for it ( now granted that was before it was truley realeased) It was only rated to play from 10hz to 50hz. I need somthing that plays at least to about 100hz preferably 150.

But it is a kewl a$$ sub replace any part of it right there and it's got the great looks and pretty advanced.
if your using the sub for purely sq, why would you want your sub playing up to 100hz or 150?...for that matter, why would anyone want their sub playing mibass?
Old 12-26-2001, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by blkI30t

if your using the sub for purely sq, why would you want your sub playing up to 100hz or 150?...for that matter, why would anyone want their sub playing mibass?
It's not that I want it to play that high(midbass) but I just kinda like that kind of flexibility. Same kind of thing as saying why do you need a tweeter that plays 32khz since you can't hear it. But I do tend to want a sub that will play up to 100hz. Even if the subs are x'd over at 70 that does not mean it stop right at 70 12db or 24db per octive still lets it play 10-15hz (ex) further up than what you x it over at. 50 Is just to low to me.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:28 PM

It's not that I want it to play that high(midbass) but I just kinda like that kind of flexibility. Same kind of thing as saying why do you need a tweeter that plays 32khz since you can't hear it. But I do tend to want a sub that will play up to 100hz. Even if the subs are x'd over at 70 that does not mean it stop right at 70 12db or 24db per octive still lets it play 10-15hz (ex) further up than what you x it over at. 50 Is just to low to me.
ok i understand what your saying....