Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Car Audio Laws

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Car Audio Laws

ok so the other day i was playing my music pretty loud for like 3min and one of my neighbors came and starting being a a-hole. so do we have a certain time we can play our music and how loud we can play it. and if the cops come what can be the fine.

im in ny btw
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 PM

I am sure the NY people will chime in, but we have a noise law (ordinance) after 10 pm in my state.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/newyork.htm
Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by djdavebse
ok so the other day i was playing my music pretty loud for like 3min and one of my neighbors came and starting being a a-hole. so do we have a certain time we can play our music and how loud we can play it. and if the cops come what can be the fine.

im in ny btw
If its loud enough to make your neighbour come over, it's too loud.
Doesn't matter what time.

$140 to $350 for the 1st violation,
$280 to $700 for the 2nd,
$420 to $1050 for the 3rd violation.

What are you doing, sitting in your driveway cranking tunes up to bleed?
And you seriously think your neighbour is the A hole?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 AM

^what he said...if your neighbor can hear it, it's too loud...A cop will give you the same reason for the citation[idk how much...i never got one]...
but from what i know/follow, on fridays and saturdays you can party wit loud music on till 2am the latest..and on sundays its till 10pm....all other days i turn my music down at 8pm....again, that is what me and people that i know follow as the norm....idk if that's the law but everybody seems to be fine with it including my neighbors...

what time of the day did all this happen?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 AM

[quote=redcross631;7857309but from what i know/follow, on fridays and saturdays you can party wit loud music on till 2am the latest..[/quote]

Yeah, no one has children or goes to bed before 2am on Friday or Saturday.
Seriously?

You guys must either rent, or live with parents.
Your right to make noise ends at the property line.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
If its loud enough to make your neighbour come over, it's too loud.
Doesn't matter what time.

$140 to $350 for the 1st violation,
$280 to $700 for the 2nd,
$420 to $1050 for the 3rd violation.

What are you doing, sitting in your driveway cranking tunes up to bleed?
And you seriously think your neighbour is the A hole?
yea i guess your right. i heard if your driving down the street and its too loud they can tow ur car and confiscate your system

Originally Posted by redcross631
^what he said...if your neighbor can hear it, it's too loud...A cop will give you the same reason for the citation[idk how much...i never got one]...
but from what i know/follow, on fridays and saturdays you can party wit loud music on till 2am the latest..and on sundays its till 10pm....all other days i turn my music down at 8pm....again, that is what me and people that i know follow as the norm....idk if that's the law but everybody seems to be fine with it including my neighbors...

what time of the day did all this happen?
this happened around 3-4 in the afternoon but the only reason he came over is because we had other problems in the past and hes just trying to start something. my other neighbors are fine with it one of them said she dances in her house when im playing my music.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Yeah, no one has children or goes to bed before 2am on Friday or Saturday.
Seriously?
sorry for any midunderstandings but that is not what i was trying to get at...my neighbors do have kids and even they party that late sometimes[may sound weird but its true]...we just have a good understanding with each other...late night parties rarely happen but when they do we give each other a heads up before time[either for parking/noise concerns] and agree that it doesn't last any longer than 2am at most...
btw i live with my brothers and my older brother is the owner of the house

back on topic:
this happened around 3-4 in the afternoon but the only reason he came over is because we had other problems in the past and hes just trying to start something. my other neighbors are fine with it one of them said she dances in her house when im playing my music.
lol OP your music IS pretty loud and u can't blame your neighbor for complaining regarless of the time...i don't think the police would confiscate your car right away for bumping loud music[they can if they want to...it all depends on the situation]....i think you'd have to get a bunch of warnings and tickets before they go ahead and confiscate it
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM

I got a noise violation in my old car (2003 Explorer) and the cop cited me a local ordinance that gives you 500 feet regardless. After writing me up, he told me in the future to just use my general discretion... However on a Saturday night at 10pm in a purely college student apartment complex I would think it was entirely appropriate..
Old 12-20-2010, 03:19 AM

this happened around 3-4 in the afternoon but the only reason he came over is because we had other problems in the past and hes just trying to start something.

I'll bet he was the a-hole in THAT situation too, right?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 AM

You guys must either rent, or live with parents.
Your right to make noise ends at the property line.
Actually, that's inaccurate. What if you're mowing your lawn? Cutting limbs or cutting plywood on a table saw? You are permitted to make noise in your neighborhood, even from your car and home stereo, and it's not limited by your "property line". Of course after a certain hour different rules apply, typically after 10PM. But during the day, you can play your drums in the garage for hours, and not be violating a single law. I know, I've done it for years in several homes, and the law protects me as the noise maker.

Of course, every city has minor adjustments to that, and some home-owners associations can be more strict. But in the end, you're protected to make noise up to a certain point in residential...ESPECIALLY as a homeowner.