Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

crossover location suggestion for 5.5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM

crossover location suggestion for 5.5th gen

This is unrelated to the 5.5th gen component install thread.

I've already taken my doors apart to replace my stock speakers. Now I actually have a full component set. I'm wondering where the best place to mount the cross overs would be.

I have 3 location ideas:
a: in the doors themselves
b: under the dashboard somewhere
c: behind the kick panel

cons for option a: i'd have to run wires from the door to the tweeters, and i remember how big of a pain it was to try to snake the wire through the "hose" between the car and the door

cons for option b: couldn't find a good place where it will be out of the way

cons for option c: don't even know if there's enough room for a cross over to be mounted there.

or am i pretty much stuck with having to put the cross overs in the door?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 AM

You have the option to mount it anywhere you want. As far as putting them in the doors its not as bad as most say the easiest way is to. Open the door all the way and find the stock rubber grommet and make a small whole thru it to run the new wire in the door and then make a whole thru the insulation on other side of the door if done properly you can hide the wire behind the kickpanel plate and as for the wire expose between the door you can go to the autopart store and buy some grommet to conceal. Thats how i had it originally but then i re-did my system and now have the crossover's mounted next to my amp and only have the wire for the woofer going to the doors

Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Suspension Yoda

My preference has always been kickpanels - many smaller crossovers like the Rainbow SLC's fit in there nicely.

In a 5th gen, the grommet for the front door has a molex plug - you can't fish a wire through it. You have to drill a hole to run wire. Rear door you can fish directly through the grommet.