Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where can I place my remote wire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM

Where can I place my remote wire?

OK, if any gurus know this, then you gurus do. I want to put my subs and amp in my new mazda. The car is only like 3 months old tho so I am not going to haul my dash apart yet. I have a Kenwood 1000W amp with the plug to be able to tie it into my back speakers so I don't need an aftermarket deck. My question is, without taking my dash apart, is there somewhere I can splice the remote wire for the amp into? Like somewhere that looses power when the car is turned off but has power when the acc is on?

There has to be a way or why was this kind of amp made..

Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2009, 05:12 AM
tastey wheat

if you want you can take your underdash apart (I know you wanted to avoid this, but it really isn't as bad as taking the radio out) and get to the ignition switch wires - grab an accessory wire or an ignition wire.

usually when I do installs and the person doesn't replace the HU, I grab signal and remote behind the radio anyways, in case they ever decide to replace the HU, you then don't have to re-run the RCAs.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by mendon99
if you want you can take your underdash apart (I know you wanted to avoid this, but it really isn't as bad as taking the radio out) and get to the ignition switch wires - grab an accessory wire or an ignition wire.

usually when I do installs and the person doesn't replace the HU, I grab signal and remote behind the radio anyways, in case they ever decide to replace the HU, you then don't have to re-run the RCAs.

do you mean pop open the plastics below the steering column? They are probably different, but there are only 2 wires running into the ignition correct? One being the acc and one running to the ignition switch?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:34 AM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
do you mean pop open the plastics below the steering column? They are probably different, but there are only 2 wires running into the ignition correct? One being the acc and one running to the ignition switch?
yes, the dash beneath the steering column. No, theres going to be about 6 wires. You want the white, or pink for your car (these are accessory's), or the blue wire (this is an ignition)

either one will work fine, but Id just grab the acc's that way your car doesn't have to be on in order for the amp to be.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 AM

yes, the dash beneath the steering column. No, theres going to be about 6 wires. You want the white, or pink for your car (these are accessory's), or the blue wire (this is an ignition)

either one will work fine, but Id just grab the acc's that way your car doesn't have to be on in order for the amp to be.

thanks man...now i feel a little more comfortable with it. I just need to figure out which one of the speaker wires to use for sendig sound to the subs. I don't have that original plug that came with the amp. It was made in '91
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 AM
tastey wheat

you should be using the 2 wires going to the speaker, + and a -... they'll be right at the speaker
Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 AM

you should be using the 2 wires going to the speaker, + and a -... they'll be right at the speaker

so basically i take wires and run them from the + and - of the speaker into the + and - of the channels of my amp? I have a 4 channel amp (i know, not the greatest, but it works) and then do the same for the other speaker into the other + and - terminals of the amp? That sounds like it would work to me, but i don't know and thats why I didn't do it yet lol
Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 AM
tastey wheat

oh boy

No, thats backwards. the + and -'s on the amps are probably outputs which means they will go to the sub (or whatever you're powering).

do you have a line output converter? you're going to need one to change high level (speaker lines) to low level (RCA) and go from there to the RCA inputs on your amp. Then, standard power, ground, remote, and the outputs to your sub.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 AM

oh boy

No, thats backwards. the + and -'s on the amps are probably outputs which means they will go to the sub (or whatever you're powering).

do you have a line output converter? you're going to need one to change high level (speaker lines) to low level (RCA) and go from there to the RCA inputs on your amp. Then, standard power, ground, remote, and the outputs to your sub.

LOL...sorry for the confusion. I've only done amp and sub installs with an aftermarket deck b4, it makes it a hell of alot easier.

Ok, so I run my power wire from the battery, the remote wire from the acc wire, ground to the chassis. Thats step one.

Step 2 is buy a Line Output Converter and run that into one of the rear speakers.
Step 3 is to run the rca's from the LOC to the amp.

Step 4 is to run the wiring from the amp to the subs.

Then give it a try? lol
Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 AM
tastey wheat

thats correct. let me know how it goes, lol
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM

OHH JEEBUS look out....the ONLY thing i'm worried about is hooking into my ignition. All I have to remember is that it's white or pink lol...off to Walmart to get the LOC
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM

or take your remote wire and put it to your fuse box. wrap the wire around the audio fuse copper prong and place back into fuse box. its how i have it and its fine.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by .aNiMaL
or take your remote wire and put it to your fuse box. wrap the wire around the audio fuse copper prong and place back into fuse box. its how i have it and its fine.

well it has come to me having to take the headunit out and place the LOC behind there. When i went to hook it all up yesterday, i see that the rear speakers are in the doors. This requires me to run wires from both rear speakers to the trunk and then attach the LOC. Thats a pain in the *** if you ask me. So, 4 clips and 2 screws and i have my head unit in my hands. Sounds much easier.

Also, there is an "acc" wire running into the HU so i can just attach my remote wire into that, correct me if I am wrong.

Sound like a plan?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM

reading owns me

I suggested the same thing as animal
Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Calcvictim
reading owns me

I suggested the same thing as animal

well since i'm going behind my HU anyway, wouldn't that be easier?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
well since i'm going behind my HU anyway, wouldn't that be easier?
i guess you might as well, you will need to tap a wire from the harness.

if you go through the fuse box you can just pull the fuse, stick the wire in either hole from the fuse blade and jam the fuse after it, either way is a piece of cake
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Calcvictim
i guess you might as well, you will need to tap a wire from the harness.

if you go through the fuse box you can just pull the fuse, stick the wire in either hole from the fuse blade and jam the fuse after it, either way is a piece of cake

never thought of that. But there is an "acc" wire in the HU harness so that seems to be the most logical way since i'm back there. But your idea got me thinkin...lol...soooo much easier
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 PM

You can run your remote wire to any switched 12v source.

When I was using an LOC, I ran my remote to my cigarette lighter.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 AM

all set up. I ended up running it to the acc wire which goes into my HU

Now the inside look stock but has the aftermarket sound :P

Thanks for all the help