Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

**Replacing Non-Bose HU w/ New Non-Bose One--Help!**

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 AM

**Replacing Non-Bose HU w/ New Non-Bose One--Help!**

I recently bought a brand new center console because my info screen starting dimming and the cd player would not eject or inject the cd; it just makes a ticking noise every once in a while and then will stop. I had to use two knives to pull my cd out and it wouldnt let it go. I wanted to replace it myself but am not familiar with electrical stuff at all...

I just wanted to know if it was possible to switch out the whole console myself, or maybe just the info screen and cd player, and how difficult it would be for someone who has never messed with that sort of thing.

If not, about how much approx. would it run me to get an audio shop to hook it up for me?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Someone's gotta know the answer to this!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I recently bought a brand new center console because my info screen starting dimming and the cd player would not eject or inject the cd; it just makes a ticking noise every once in a while and then will stop. I had to use two knives to pull my cd out and it wouldnt let it go. I wanted to replace it myself but am not familiar with electrical stuff at all...

I just wanted to know if it was possible to switch out the whole console myself, or maybe just the info screen and cd player, and how difficult it would be for someone who has never messed with that sort of thing.

If not, about how much approx. would it run me to get an audio shop to hook it up for me?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
wow, never heard about the info screen dimming as an issue for 6th gens. the center console is pretty easy to remove. it'll be just a direct swap. all the connections behind the dash are pretty straight forward. the "hardest" part would be pulling off the top trim that's connected to the two air vents. those are held on pretty tight by some clips. but once that's out, you can take out the info screen.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63

there you go
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

Wow, that must have been pricey. Hope it was under warranty. But I guess if it was, the dealer would have done the labor.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Wow, that must have been pricey. Hope it was under warranty. But I guess if it was, the dealer would have done the labor.
My friend's uncle owns a junkyard and there was an 05 there that was set on fire... some drug dealer owned it... anyway he checked the console and gave the whole thing (heating, cd player, info screen) to me for 150.00. I was lucky.. not a scratch on it and works perfectly. I'm gonna look at that link on the 6th gen site. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 PM

So I finished replacing the HU... it was a piece of cake just like you guys said. Once I opened the box to the new HU it was actually an 06 HU and it looked amazing... I didnt notice before but there is brushed aluminum... a slightly lighter material and it feels like real aluminum... I like the fell of that much better.

On the CD Player wiring, there was one set of wires that didnt fit into anything and that got me nervous. I connected everything up again and decided to at least try it. The screen is amazingly clearer than in my 04, the metal is real metal and the CD Player and Cassette deck are different models. It was cool though because it played through all speakers and everything is working fine.

Thanks for all your help!

Screen View

Console (Yep Even had a cassette to listen to)

Close-Up of the Brushed Aluminum

Last edited by Propa Teknique; 03-22-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Add Pictures