Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

several audio questions for an 02

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM

several audio questions for an 02

hi all - I finally got my car back from the body shop today nearly two months after my front end collision and I've decided to do some upgrades to the car, but I definately can use some help. I am not sure how to search for these exact answers so I figured I'd make a thread and try to consolidate all my questions into one.

My Bose head unit has the left channel cut out problem so I figure rather than repair it I'd like to replace it with a DVD unit. I'm looking at Crutchfield for my place to buy this unit (I like the Valor ITS702W) as I'm not a fan of anything Best Buy/ Circuit City sells and I don't like their shoddy installation work.

Aside from having trouble finding a shop to do the job using a product they don't sell, I just have a few questions:
I want to use the factory speakers, not replace everything, is this possible? I found this product on crutchfield for $40 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1nBnI00...px?i=142C4NN03 called a Nissan/Infiniti Factory Integration Adapter, is this what I will need to make the factory speakers work with this unit?

My second question is.. I want to use the steering wheel controls and I am curious what I will need to purchase to make this happen. I think I found what I need, being this adapter http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...27SWIX&tp=3405 but I am very curious where on the vehicle something of that size will be placed? Does it fit behind the radio?

Summary: are those two links the correct products I will need to run the new in-dash-DVD unit with my stock speakers and steering wheel controls? Will buying a new unit fix the speaker cut-out problem I am having that is common with the Bose head units?

Any comments on the Valor ITS702W?
Is there any unit instead that will work with the car in drive? Is it possible to just pull up on the parking brake a slight bit so that the unit can be operational while driving? I had a friend a couple years ago with an RSX with an in-dash unit that was able to be watched while driving and I'm hoping to have something like that so my girlfriend can watch a movie while we're on a long drive.

I thank you all for your help and opinions on this matter and for your warm regards in response to my accident, luckily no one was hurt and a mere $6,780 later the car's back to normal again
Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM

The SWI-X is probably what you want for keeping your steering wheel controls, unless they make one specifically for your head unit. I got the SWI-JACK, which works with Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, and some other brand. All the same thing really, just a question of how to connect it to your head unit.

I mounted mine by zip-tying it to a bracket behind the dash. There's a *ton* of room back there, you won't have any problem finding a place to put it.

I don't know about the Bose integration stuff, I didn't have it in my car. One thing -- if you end up doing the install yourself, buy a handful of #2 phillips bits from Harbor Freight beforehand. I ended up breaking two screwdrivers and two of those bits getting the 8 screws out of the factory HU so I could separate it from the bracket. They were in there unbelievably tight.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

stereo

i had the same problem with my factory deck and the brackets so i drilled them out and bought new screws and the factory speakers still can run off the new deck just go to walmart or a local stereo shop and get a factory wire harness and some butt connectors. its all color coded so it is really easy.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

stereo

if you do it yourself its kinda easy, first pop off your ac vents up top and pull your ashtray out to find a screw there then pop off the trim around your shifter and hazard lights but be carefull cause i cracked mine cause the clips wouldnt let go. then you will see 2 screws above the stereo and 2 below the ac controller then like bxucera said its a bi*** to get those screws off. it goes back together the same way it came off. took me about an hour cause those damn screws
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

stereo

by the way, i just looked at the link you had for the adapter and its the right one for ya i forgot you said you had a bose system
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 AM
DJD

I used that factory integration adapter, it works, but I was disappointed with it. The sound quality was ok, but it had nowhere near the volume of the original bose headunit. It even has an individual gain control for each channel, but that didn't help out to much even with each one turned all the way up. I'm running a Kenwood Excelon deck with plenty of power, so it's not like that's the problem. I don't know if anyone else ever noticed the decrease in volume though. I eventually put in an aftermarket multi-amp system so it's not an issue anymore.

As far as the screws for the Bose unit go... those guys are right... they're stuck in there, my advice is to either do this on a REALLY hot day, when it's unbearably warm inside the car, or VERY carefully heat each screw, they come out MUCH easier then.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

#1 don't buy from crutchfield. it's a rip off.
#2 buy an indash, unit flip outs are cheap, ugly, prone to break more, etc.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you want really good deals go to www.dealercostcaraudio.com i got my 7 in touch screen for $400 instead of payin almost $900 they have really good deals on there for everything and hes right, crutchfield is a joke i searched aroung for 2 months before i found a hella good deal on mine
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

and do either of you know anything about the bestkits for the "00 maxima that supposidly makes everything flush and looks factory? i heard that they dont color match what so ever because i have a really bad gap around my head unit that looks like crap!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by superbabyboy25
and do either of you know anything about the bestkits for the "00 maxima that supposidly makes everything flush and looks factory? i heard that they dont color match what so ever because i have a really bad gap around my head unit that looks like crap!
depends on if you go double vs single din.

also your s/n is very...interesting...what exactly is a super baby boy 25?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

i had the same problem with my factory deck and the brackets so i drilled them out and bought new screws and the factory speakers still can run off the new deck just go to walmart or a local stereo shop and get a factory wire harness and some butt connectors. its all color coded so it is really easy.
Originally Posted by DJD
I used that factory integration adapter, it works, but I was disappointed with it. The sound quality was ok, but it had nowhere near the volume of the original bose headunit. It even has an individual gain control for each channel, but that didn't help out to much even with each one turned all the way up. I'm running a Kenwood Excelon deck with plenty of power, so it's not like that's the problem. I don't know if anyone else ever noticed the decrease in volume though. I eventually put in an aftermarket multi-amp system so it's not an issue anymore.

As far as the screws for the Bose unit go... those guys are right... they're stuck in there, my advice is to either do this on a REALLY hot day, when it's unbearably warm inside the car, or VERY carefully heat each screw, they come out MUCH easier then.

Drill them out ?!?! Heat them up?!?!

Tighten til it 'cracks' then loosen. No need for all this extra crap.

And ..FYI .. heat expands, cold contracts. If it works for you thats great, but you cannot defy physics.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
#1 don't buy from crutchfield. it's a rip off.
#2 buy an indash, unit flip outs are cheap, ugly, prone to break more, etc.
Please explain ..

Crutchfield is Authorized, has Excellent customer service, offers full warranty, all accessories are usually included. They charge (usually, but sometimes lower) the price that the manufacturer requires and theyre a ripoff?

Am I crutchfield customer? NO. Am I a dealer for 12V? YES. Does crutchfield sometimes even hurt my sales? Absolutely. When I can only make $10 on a $500 ticket because crutchfield sold it : At sale prices, included all installation hardware and free shipping it cuts me and most other retailers down. So am I a fan? No really. Would I still endorse them though? Yes actually I would.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 PM

if you want really good deals go to www.dealercostcaraudio.com i got my 7 in touch screen for $400 instead of payin almost $900 they have really good deals on there for everything and hes right, crutchfield is a joke i searched aroung for 2 months before i found a hella good deal on mine
A new one pops up all the time.

Hella good deal with no manufacturer support. Excellent !
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 PM
DJD

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Drill them out ?!?! Heat them up?!?!

Tighten til it 'cracks' then loosen. No need for all this extra crap.

And ..FYI .. heat expands, cold contracts. If it works for you thats great, but you cannot defy physics.
+ 1 For Crutchfield, great company with the best service I've ever dealt with, and sorry for skipping the obvious about the screws, sometimes just tightening them is the easiest way to loosen. I was pretty sleepy and just went with worst case scenario there.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im not putting them down like that its just that for there prices i can go to my local dealer for the same prices and stuff like that gets to be pretty expensive just trying to save a buck. i used to buy from crutchfield before and i started finding electronics cheaper elsewhere were i could afford it so im sorry
Old 11-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Banned

Don:

onlinecarstereo.com, woofersetc.com the list goes on of on line retailers who are extremely cheaper vs crutchfield. when i can save 1-200 on a a set of speakers/amps it's well worth it. i rarely have ever used or needed a warrenty in my life. but thats just me.

it's like not shopping at newegg.com and going to CC to buy a portable harddrive, memory, etc. and paying 2x as much imo...

sorry to get ot...but DON asked why i dislike them so much. and as i'm typing there is an add for onlinecarstereo hah.

for instance:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_410/Component-Systems.html?tp=106&nvpair=FFBrand|Boston+Acoustic s
My PRO60 SE's which i have in my rear doors retail for $599 on crutchfield's site.
vs.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=20343
there they are only $270.95 (45% off the MSRP of $599) at that price i could literally buy another set if anything went wrong with my 1st pair and i'd still be better off. for car stereos i don't need any customer service unless it doesn't come directly to my door.

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/produ...3&search=jl+w7
JL W7 sells for $839
vs.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12151
JL W7 $655 thats around $200 in savings for a quality product

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1361000...jl+1000&tp=115
$1099
vs.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18475
$719 thats a savings of 380.00 or 34%.

lets just say you needed two amps for your two W7s we'll leave my pro60s out of it for convenience's sake. this is an example of a VERY common purchase for subs, 2 amps 2 subs:
saved $760 on the amps
saved $400 on the subs
total savings: $1160

with $1160 you can go buy a fancy eclipse avn for your new stereo, some new rims, whatever. my point being there are huge savings out there and i don't think crutchfield always has the best prices. why do i need a warranty? i'm buying in theory top quality products. plus with the money i saved i can replace any of those products very ceaply if they did go bad and still be doing fine. and honestly the chance of either the JL amp or sub dieing in the next 3-5 years is VERY unlikely.

Now i know what your going to say Don. Jon there is no warranty what if it goes bad and something fails? #1 it shouldn't it's JL #2 the chance of it failing is so small it's not even worth talking about. if JL had production issues and people actually needed to use their warranty all the time they wouldn't be toted around as 'best car audio in america' by the general masses.

Now lets say an amp goes bad ok? i find a local retailer and buy a new amp. take out my bad amp and put it into the box of my new amp came in. return old amp. there is my warranty. which i would only feel ok doing because JL's products are a complete rip off and are massively over priced. for a company that just raped me on a 1kw mono block i don't feel bad. it doesn't hurt the retailer AT ALL as they just ship it back to JL and get a credit for it. only person it hurts is JL who sold the product which shouldn't have failed anyways under their warranty which they will not honor because i bought it from a non-authorized dealer even though it was BNIB. So what it comes down to is JL ripping me off when i first bought it, and then not honoring the warranty, which they should as they make massive amounts of gross on each unit they sell.

edit:they also carry a larger selection of products to choose from.

edit #2: why don't i see ads for crutchfield on the org?(maybe there have been i don't remember though...)

edit #3: the idea of 'authorized retailer' is corporate crap they made up to make more money and deny claims. to be an authorized retailer you have to conform to what JL wants like not have brand XYZ in your store, where you can place their product, training seminars, etc. they use it to control the market to an extent and make more money simply because they are big and people believe they are the best they get away with it. there really is no arguing that. back in the day if you owned a product the manufacture covered it regardless assuming you were in the time period of the warranty. Why do i need manufactures support. it's not software. it either works or it doesn't.

im bored sitting awake sunday morning. sorry if i bored anyone with my long winded post. feel free to comment.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-02-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Not bored at all.

HOWEVER, lets roll with the claim of 'over priced' ....

How do you think R&D is performed? Is this a free service? Absolutely not. Just to get an amp design on paper can cost an easy $10k, then to production it goes .. testing samples, revisions, cost of materials, shipping, literature, packaging, etc ...ALL cost money.

So with your theories here Brick and Mortar retailers should just plain not exist, correct? Let's say dealer cost for a said item is $500, retail is $750 and they sell it for $750. Good profit? That depends on how much time the retailer spent with you. Now picture this .. YOU are a retailer and sell everything at or right about at your cost ... how many months can you pay your building lease? Electricity? Insurance? Employees? Etc .. You would not last more than a month or two unless your in the habit of just tossing money away for no apparent reason.

In regards to your example of switching defective for a new one at the retailer ..

A: The retailer would not get credit and would be screwed since JL would trace the serial number. Retailer is now at a loss and was an innocent bystander. Did you ever notice most retailers do not offer cash back returns? Why? Because too many people tried this crap in the past. Why should the retailer be hurt because you wanted a replacement?

B: It is just plain sh!tty to do such a thing and is borderline illegal, if nothing else it is completely bad morals and tactics.

I am all for saving money on things and I try my best to extend discounts when I can. Although at the end of the day I still have bills to pay and a family to feed. Shopping in the manner that you do would leave me (and many other business owners) hungry and homeless.

Am I defending ALL retailers? Absolutely not, just in general. There are tons out there that have no work ethic, will mark prices above SRP and give you the 'take it or leave it' speech. Many of them are quite good though. With a retailer you are paying for ..experience, presentation, convenience and of course support/warranty. Many products nowadays can be advance exchanged - over the counter. No downtime for you at all. How many e-tailers do that?

Do you realize how these online sites get alot of their products?

Theft is a major one. This hurts not only the manufacturer and the retailer, but the economy as well.

Refurbed .. yes refurbished and sold as new. Is this ok? You may think so, but if I am paying for a new product, I want a new product.

Counterfeit .. This is getting larger and larger by the day. Sub par parts, products, development and then yes you are getting your (cheap) monies worth.

I do not think Crutchfield advertises on the org .. Why? Who knows. Might simply be because they do not want to pay to advertise here.

And finally ... What if the popular etailer that your buying from suddenly shuts down? They already have your money, but didnt ship your product. Your screwed. Wont happen? Guess again. Happened several times over the years and I am sure will happen more. "Woofers is so big, it'll never happen" Anyone recall the last place that was down in FL that had a similar reputation and screwed literally hundreds of people?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
DJD

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Anyone recall the last place that was down in FL that had a similar reputation and screwed literally hundreds of people?

Cerwin Vega? They just screwed me over pretty bad!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:37 AM

No. It was an online store.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:32 PM

thezeb.com?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Yes ! Thanks Kev, for some reason I Always forget that name.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi!,

I've read a lot of complaints BUT I have yet to read good advice as to what to Buy to replace my 5th gen indash cd changer only (No Nav)

Thanks Korki
Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Banned

eclipse is nice...