Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dynaudio and TRU amps, I took a good listen

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

Dynaudio and TRU amps, I took a good listen

My system consists of Rainbow SLC components and a Kicker 700.5 amp with a Kicker 12L7.
The most recent system I listened to consist of old school Diamond Audio Hex matched with D6 4 channel and a TDX matched with I believe a 400 watt D6 mono amp. This system sounds good, gets descently loud and you can definitely feel good bass from the sub.

I took the plunge and ventured to central jersey to take a listen of Pearl96max's system (high class dynaudio 3 ways and TRU Billet amps matched with 1 dynaudio sub), I must say this system sounds incredible. This man has 9" mids in his doors and they produce more than enough bass for any enthusiast. I'm really big on bass due to my strong preference in hip hop music. Any more bass than that and your only focus is to gain attention from others outside your car (which these do a good job of doing already). I was definitely impressed with the overall quality of the system. I started with a few of his sample CD's and the biggest joy was listening to the system without subs, I could not believe how much bass the 3 ways produce. With the subs thrown at 1/3, it can get orgasmic (no homo.)

Fortunately, Don had other arrangements to take care of and left me in the car by myself. I immediately ran to my car to grab a custom cd (tracks werent of great quality but they are what I am used to.) Every track sounds lively and although my amp settings are accurate to give me full range on all sounds, listening to the same songs with this setup makes you think the singer/rapper is in the car with you. I found myself turning around on a few occasions thinking I was hearing something different. I finished my listen with 3 repeats of Rick Ross f/ T Pain - The Boss. Its a similar sound but definitely different. No subs = super clean bass that you can tolerate for ages. It just sucks that I cant afford his setup but I hear the setup I want has similar parts that are not too far off in quality.

My only regret is not turning the volume up high enough to see how the speakers react when pushed to the limit. On an eclipse head unit that can probably go up to Volume 80, I never went past 54 due to respect for the residential area but there was no fatigue at this level and more importantly, the volume was cleaner and louder than my system. I can only imagine how things would sound if pushed up to 60....even 65.

My bass gets louder but this is using his system with no sub gain versus mine at a much louder volume (65 to 70) and sub gain halfway on a Kicker 12L7. Honestly, my bass doesnt even get louder, its more the distortion makes things sound louder.

I am not super detailed with audio systems and my ears dont catch specific details that others may find. But even my novice ears can see a HUGE difference in quality, not just over mine but my friends HEX setup and even Don's previous Rainbow setup. I've also heard Alpine, Focal, Infinity's, nothing compares although not sure how much power these setups were pushing compared to this setup.

The best system I ever listened to before this were Rainbow components (2 ways I believe) with Arc amps. This setup used to be in Don's last car. This system definitely sh*ts on that. The main thing I cant stop thinking about is the amount of bass produced without a sub. You seriously cant tell he is not using subs unless you heard his subs before.

After reviewing many amps and checking opinions on various options, I am definitely getting me a TRU s44 amp with line driver and will save a little more for some dynaudio 3 ways.

I was concerned only 65 X 4 would not be enough but this amp has been compared to Arc XXK's, Genesis, DLS and not only do they produce more/better power but they are better priced and homemade in the US. Cant go wrong with that. I swore to myself I would stop investing in this dam car...with gas going up and roads getting worst, the only upgrade you can do with no negative impact is your audio system. Might as well upgrade the one that thing will keep me smiling no matter where I'm driving.

BTW, any chance of a Citigroup discount?
Manny and Jeff, I would like to hear your systems as well, they would be more realistic to what I'll be getting. Listening to Don's setup is unfair.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BHWHAHAHHAHAHAHA sucker....you shouldn't have gone over there if you still wanted $$ in your wallet! At least you got a little taste (actually a big TEASE) of what's to come for your car. Like I said, come by after work one night, I'll give you a listen to mine. BUT you should really really listen to manny's as it's the EXACT setup you're getting. So you're set on 3ways now huh...and how does everything sound when it's coming from the kicks (except for the tweeter I believe, in don's car)?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Pretty good review for a noob .

Looks like you'll be happy with the setup you chose. I'll have my dyn's in the Alti fairly soon.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 AM

uh oh, teh don have caught another victim

i wanna hear his setup too
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor

hmmm... maybe i should buy some dyns and trus. oh wait...

Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 AM

I have a question for don, what type of deadening have you done with your car cause that can play a big difference. Cause there is a huge difference in a deadened car and a tin can. I wish someone in tampa had a sound system to compare but spl is big around here.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor

i have spoke to don about deadening and he stays true to form from what i understand. i.e. rediculous amounts of quality (cascade) deadening.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM

This thread makes me want to spend money I don't have.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by burnurass
BHWHAHAHHAHAHAHA sucker....you shouldn't have gone over there if you still wanted $$ in your wallet! At least you got a little taste (actually a big TEASE) of what's to come for your car. Like I said, come by after work one night, I'll give you a listen to mine. BUT you should really really listen to manny's as it's the EXACT setup you're getting. So you're set on 3ways now huh...and how does everything sound when it's coming from the kicks (except for the tweeter I believe, in don's car)?
yea he's currently running just mid at bottom and tweet at normal location. (I believe his tweeter is so big he hasnt made move yet?). I think his car has a good amount of deadening, mainly because you cant have that much bass with 0 rattle. You can seriously tolerate constant high bass music with no strain on ears, its just super clean.

Jeff, I'll be coming by one of these nights to take a listen and Manny, I'm already bought on the amp/line driver, I need a final listen to sell me on the 3 ways because my pockets were only happy with 2 ways . Don sold me on the brand but to keep sanity, I keep telling myself his speakers are of a higher level than what I plan to get even though they are similar
Old 06-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Anyone want a TRU B-475 for a good price?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by MrDave
whats a good price?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM

9" dang son

who needs subs with that

thats the only thing i want more of in my 2-way setup is more bass
im runnin 7" seas and they are 8ohm so its hard to get them quality power to them
without empting my wallet and changing amps again lol

i think i will be done for awhile when i get the icons in
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Sports Button FTW

yea, well I feel a little fortunate that I am NOT happy with my system so I definitely have a reason to change.

Of all the brands I've heard and received recommendations for in the past (Diamond Hex, Alpine, Arc ACS, top line Focal, Rainbow, CDT, DLS, etc), I have seen these dynaudio's put to comparison and given better reviews. They have less over head and the information on them stay consistent. If top audio heads that I could never compare wit in the past are claiming these crap on all previous setups they used, I feel these would make the best investment. Most importantly, I realize I DO abuse my system with volumes at high levels 80% of my drive, with the summer months coming along, I definitely need something that can take punishment and warranty situations wont put me down for weeks. Well ventilated amp and a system setup with tons of overhead so it can take more than what I may give it.

Jackpot, I think I'm in love
Old 06-05-2008, 05:50 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
uh oh, teh don have caught another victim

i wanna hear his setup too
Drive to NJ, hear'em all.

Originally Posted by filtor1
This thread makes me want to spend money I don't have.
Dyns ftw?

Originally Posted by meccanoble
yea, well I feel a little fortunate that I am NOT happy with my system so I definitely have a reason to change.

Of all the brands I've heard and received recommendations for in the past (Diamond Hex, Alpine, Arc ACS, top line Focal, Rainbow, CDT, DLS, etc), I have seen these dynaudio's put to comparison and given better reviews. They have less over head and the information on them stay consistent. If top audio heads that I could never compare wit in the past are claiming these crap on all previous setups they used, I feel these would make the best investment. Most importantly, I realize I DO abuse my system with volumes at high levels 80% of my drive, with the summer months coming along, I definitely need something that can take punishment and warranty situations wont put me down for weeks. Well ventilated amp and a system setup with tons of overhead so it can take more than what I may give it.

Jackpot, I think I'm in love
Just realize with all the extra detail and sq you will get you won't need to go nearly as loud to get excellent sound repro. You can eq in some frequencies and be more than happy. Just don't go blowing some stuff out.

BTW, 3 - ways or bust.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Drive to NJ, hear'em all.

Dyns ftw?

Just realize with all the extra detail and sq you will get you won't need to go nearly as loud to get excellent sound repro. You can eq in some frequencies and be more than happy. Just don't go blowing some stuff out.

BTW, 3 - ways or bust.
I was more refering to the TRU amps. After dropping a few bucks on the Powerlines, it will be a while before I do anything with the mids and highs outside of amplification.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Oh c'mon You know you want a 3-way setup.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Oh c'mon You know you want a 3-way setup.
Nor do I have the channels available to do it properly. Oh yeah, then there is the wires. Way too much involved to make it worth it considering what I already have.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

It's not bad, + with the dyn's running them passive is absolutely fine.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

OOohhh wow, how did I miss this?

Mecca .. excellent review from what you title yourself as uneducated in the audio arena. No such thing my friend. All ears and expectations are different - you know what you want to hear and describe it quite well, go easy on yourself young buck.

Now for the comparison of what you would be getting Vs mine driver wise .. your midbass would be slightly smaller than mine (marketed 8" vs 10"), midrange is the same and yes I have an advantage with my large format tweeter. However I am not in any 'different league' than what your are anxiously awaiting purchase on. Tonality for the most part will be on par, so dont concern yourself too much and/or think that you are 'settling'.

Dyns are Dyns .. THE Highest QC transducer company in ANY aspect and THE lowest return/defective rate anywhere ! Virtually bulletproof drivers will leave a pleasing smile on your face while also taking the beating of your music effortlessly.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by travmaximas1998
9" dang son

who needs subs with that

thats the only thing i want more of in my 2-way setup is more bass
im runnin 7" seas and they are 8ohm so its hard to get them quality power to them
without empting my wallet and changing amps again lol

i think i will be done for awhile when i get the icons in

LoL I dont need subs. MW182s will play to 20 flat and with authority ! However I do enjoy a bit 'extra' now and then as well as clients that wanna take a listen or even possibly purchase a sub for the same reasons.

I recently did a '07 G37 with the Dyn MW182/MD142/MD102 active. Originally the client was set to use is already existing JL 12W3, after hearing the potency of the 182s he promptly removed his sub and hasnt looked back.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
I have a question for don, what type of deadening have you done with your car cause that can play a big difference. Cause there is a huge difference in a deadened car and a tin can. I wish someone in tampa had a sound system to compare but spl is big around here.
Like mentioned above .. Yes I subscribe to the sound deadening benefits. I see no point in using some of the worlds best equipment if it is going to be a sub par install. Spending alot of money and/or having lustrous products does not dictate great sound. Acoustic materials should Always come into play and IMO are just as important as the products and install itself.

What do I use? Cascade. I simply will not settle for less.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MrDave
LMAO Whats up Dave?

Anyone that is questioning this guys first post as a n00b and as an attempt to sell something ... have no fear. Stand up guy without a doubt.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Without a doubt this is the way you want to go. I was more or less in a similar position. Sold the max and kept my Arc Audio XXK amps to put in my new vehicle. I was all set with what I was going to do. Oz Audio Matrix Elite component set running active. Then I sat in Don's truck. Heard the 3 ways and was blown away. And at the same time it just so happened that he had a brand new XXK amp a customer was going to sell. Slept on it for one night and called Don back the next day and told him to sell my Oz components and get me the 3 ways and that XXK is mine. So now I was situated with 3 Arc XXK amps and a killer front stage. Then I get a call about the TRU Steel series amp and line driver. Don told me don't even listen to him. He told me to check my e-mail and when I looked I had a link to a forum giving a review. Read every single page and said if you can get me some decent coin for the XXK's I will pay the difference and pick up the TRU Steel amps and line driver. All I can say is $$$$$ later and I have no regrets at all. The sound is amazing. These amps hit hard, and I have the S500 pushing 2 12's. Don't worry about power as these amps are seriously under rated. If you want you can come and listen to my car. And you might not want to do that cause I am running fully active (means spending more money...LOL). If you can afford I suggest it. I have an S44 running the 8" subs in the door and another S44 running the mid range and tweeter. That will get you to where you want to be so you will never touch the car again.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by mforrest100

Without a doubt this is the way you want to go. I was more or less in a similar position. Sold the max and kept my Arc Audio XXK amps to put in my new vehicle. I was all set with what I was going to do. Oz Audio Matrix Elite component set running active. Then I sat in Don's truck. Heard the 3 ways and was blown away. And at the same time it just so happened that he had a brand new XXK amp a customer was going to sell. Slept on it for one night and called Don back the next day and told him to sell my Oz components and get me the 3 ways and that XXK is mine. So now I was situated with 3 Arc XXK amps and a killer front stage. Then I get a call about the TRU Steel series amp and line driver. Don told me don't even listen to him. He told me to check my e-mail and when I looked I had a link to a forum giving a review. Read every single page and said if you can get me some decent coin for the XXK's I will pay the difference and pick up the TRU Steel amps and line driver. All I can say is $$$$$ later and I have no regrets at all. The sound is amazing. These amps hit hard, and I have the S500 pushing 2 12's. Don't worry about power as these amps are seriously under rated. If you want you can come and listen to my car. And you might not want to do that cause I am running fully active (means spending more money...LOL). If you can afford I suggest it. I have an S44 running the 8" subs in the door and another S44 running the mid range and tweeter. That will get you to where you want to be so you will never touch the car again.

OMG, active definitely sounds expensive. My standards are so low (coming from a kicker 5 channel amp for cying out loud), I know i'll be happy with a passive setup and when I'm rolling in better dough, maybe Don can help me run active?

Thanks for the kind words Don. I left my phone at home rushing to work, hopefully we can work out a deal this week, cant wait to hear my new system. BTW, you only mess with cascade ehh? Hmmm....
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor

i went through the same dilemma right before/as i bought my equipment.

to me it came down to this:

1) i was already over budget
2) i wanted a simple setup
3) i've been impressed by several mid-grade systems in my life (never actually heard a high end system to this day)

i figured (and was reassured by don) that the difference would be so drastic from what i'm used to hearing that i probably didn't need to go the last mile. if i decide i do i will already have a solid foundation and only need to add a couple things down the line.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
i went through the same dilemma right before/as i bought my equipment.

to me it came down to this:

1) i was already over budget
2) i wanted a simple setup
3) i've been impressed by several mid-grade systems in my life (never actually heard a high end system to this day)

i figured (and was reassured by don) that the difference would be so drastic from what i'm used to hearing that i probably didn't need to go the last mile. if i decide i do i will already have a solid foundation and only need to add a couple things down the line.
I agree with that completely. I'm currently running an older but still high quality head unit (Eclipse AVN 5435), most of my wiring is setup. I'm looking at quality amps and speakers. If i ever have to upgrade (HA!), I have 90% of everything I need....yea, I know the direction I want to take. Don, take care of me
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words Don. I left my phone at home rushing to work, hopefully we can work out a deal this week, cant wait to hear my new system. BTW, you only mess with cascade ehh? Hmmm....

Yessir, Cascade only here. Ive strayed a bit when distribution stopped locally, but eventually found my way back and am staying. Drawback .. has to come from Oregon, so I dont grab it as I need it, but rather keep some on hand.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 AM

OMG, active definitely sounds expensive. My standards are so low (coming from a kicker 5 channel amp for cying out loud), I know i'll be happy with a passive setup and when I'm rolling in better dough, maybe Don can help me run active?
This is what I suggest and this is what Don is going to do becuase I know him.

1. I am right and wrong about it being expensive because once you go with your initial set up you will only be one S44 from being able to go active and the price of these amps compared to other high end amps are not that much. But the expensive part is that you will have to get a Audio Processor that will allow you to run a 4 way set up. Luckily Don happened to be selling his Arc Audio DXE which is what is running my entire system. So go with the initial set up and save some change for a good processor.

2. Knowing that you may go active in the future have Don mount your crossovers in the trunk of the car so that he can run all the wires for the active set up now. So once you go active, all he will have to do is remove the crossovers and throw an amp somewhere in the mix. Knowing Don, he has probably already thought of this.

Good luck my man.......
Old 06-06-2008, 06:38 AM

Luckily Don happened to be selling his Arc Audio DXE which is what is running my entire system. So go with the initial set up and save some change for a good processor.
I find this EXTREMELY convenient for Don...
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by burnurass
I find this EXTREMELY convenient for Don...

Well the DXE was actually purchased back in November because I knew I was going to keep my stock head unit. The Dyns and TRU amps were not purchased until about end of February or beginning of March.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Well the DXE was actually purchased back in November because I knew I was going to keep my stock head unit. The Dyns and TRU amps were not purchased until about end of February or beginning of March.
I was just messing around with Don..don't mind me.

Congrats with Finally Finding a system that you will be happy with for awhile (until don introduces something new)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM

I dont introduce new things, the manufacturers do. I just show them to you guys.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Sports Button FTW

This is what I suggest and this is what Don is going to do becuase I know him.

1. I am right and wrong about it being expensive because once you go with your initial set up you will only be one S44 from being able to go active and the price of these amps compared to other high end amps are not that much. But the expensive part is that you will have to get a Audio Processor that will allow you to run a 4 way set up. Luckily Don happened to be selling his Arc Audio DXE which is what is running my entire system. So go with the initial set up and save some change for a good processor.

2. Knowing that you may go active in the future have Don mount your crossovers in the trunk of the car so that he can run all the wires for the active set up now. So once you go active, all he will have to do is remove the crossovers and throw an amp somewhere in the mix. Knowing Don, he has probably already thought of this.

Good luck my man.......

Thanks for the advice, however, if I EVER run active, it will definitely be on my next car. I was actually ready to wait for my next car before buying anything but audio is the easiest thing to transfer to another car (besides rims) so it wouldnt be an issue when I'm ready to move onto next vehicle.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Sports Button FTW

After listening to a few demo's, i have taken the plunge on the Dynaudio 3 ways. First demo came from burnurass who had gains low and a slightly weaker amp than my future TRU s44. After playing a few songs from the Carter 3, I fell in love with the imaging. Currently running tweets in the kick panels, it was a different sound for me. Having the tweets in the pillars, I guess you can say the tweets are more shouting at you rather than surrounding you. Although these tweets are so smooth, it sounds more comfortable than my focals. It would probably take me some time to adjust but definitely a pleasing sound. Crisp and once again, it feels more like "surrounding" versus "shouting."

I then took another listen in the well equipped Trailblazor. Threw on one of my favorite heavy beat songs that can test those big mids (Lil Wayne - A Millie). I think this is just a great song to test mid bass. With subs turned all the way down, its amazing how much bass this car gets from the mids. Immediately after hearing this, I made the smartest/last audio investment I will make in a very long time. With volume at only 42, I can hear the vocals of the car from outside with all doors closed, windows up and garage door closed. I was impressed. Just wanted to shed some light on my happy adventures....
Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

After listening to a few demo's, i have taken the plunge on the Dynaudio 3 ways. First demo came from burnurass who had gains low and a slightly weaker amp than my future TRU s44. After playing a few songs from the Carter 3, I fell in love with the imaging. Currently running tweets in the kick panels, it was a different sound for me. Having the tweets in the pillars, I guess you can say the tweets are more shouting at you rather than surrounding you. Although these tweets are so smooth, it sounds more comfortable than my focals. It would probably take me some time to adjust but definitely a pleasing sound. Crisp and once again, it feels more like "surrounding" versus "shouting."

I then took another listen in the well equipped Trailblazor. Threw on one of my favorite heavy beat songs that can test those big mids (Lil Wayne - A Millie). I think this is just a great song to test mid bass. With subs turned all the way down, its amazing how much bass this car gets from the mids. Immediately after hearing this, I made the smartest/last audio investment I will make in a very long time. With volume at only 42, I can hear the vocals of the car from outside with all doors closed, windows up and garage door closed. I was impressed. Just wanted to shed some light on my happy adventures....
Did you get the 7's or the 8's?

I am surprised it took you this long to upgrade
Old 06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Sports Button FTW

8's well i think they are 7 and like 7/8. I tried to stop spending so much on my car ever since my boost days...but my system has some issues and i know i'll be happy...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 AM

And they should arrive tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

bery nice, dyns for all
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM

WooHoo !
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

maaan.... now i want 8s too.

must... stick... to plan...

good to hear something from someone with similar musical tastes. i spend all these hours researching any-and-everything only to find out these guys are trying to recreate some 60s folk concert they went to.

Quick Reply: Dynaudio and TRU amps, I took a good listen