Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Eclipse AVN6620?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 AM
You embarrass me.

Eclipse AVN6620?

Hey audio gurus, I'm looking at this headunit at a pretty good price. My Bose HU sh** out on me, and I've heard good things around here about Eclipse and their quality of HUs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0&i=099AVN6620

What do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM

I've got one and absolutely love it. There are a few of us with it. I don't think you'll hear anything bad about it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

With direct access to literally anything I want on the US market I choose (and use) this exact unit. In my personal(and professional) opinion it simply cannot be beat.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:05 PM

There u have it! Da Don has spoken.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:02 PM
You embarrass me.

Damn. I HAVE to get it now. Haha, thanks for your opinions guys.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 PM

LoL take my opinion with a grain of salt bud as it is only my opinion.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
You embarrass me.

Haha, I just hope there wasn't too much sarcasm if your first post.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM

I really think it is a great H/U. Not too may can compare. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that comes close is the Alpine W205/W505. Then, I think it is all about what you want.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Black Lion

Does the eclipse AVN6620 leave any gaps(want a nice factory finish.. 4thgen) in the factory space? Anyone have any thoughts on the pioneer AVIC Z3? fitment, performance, etc. I want a nice factory finish.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Sports Button FTW

I have an older Eclipse HU (AVN 5435) which I purchased from pearl96max over 3 years ago and it has been great to me. Performs well, many features and the build quality is great. I had one issue during my last year of warranty which was taken care of in a very fast/professional manner. These units are expensive, thank god I had a warranty.

The newer units look even better, better looking user interface, stronger motors and seem to have faster response when attempting to play any cd/dvd. I know you'll love the unit, I just recommend you verify warranty with your source, I would hate to see anyone have to buy 2 in a short period because of a conflict with warranty. Other then that, I stand by eclipse dvd/navi/multimedia head units all the way
Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Does the eclipse AVN6620 leave any gaps(want a nice factory finish.. 4thgen) in the factory space? Anyone have any thoughts on the pioneer AVIC Z3? fitment, performance, etc. I want a nice factory finish.
This is from another 4th Gen that bought his AVN6620 around the same time I did. Peep this. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=557958
I hope this helps.

Last edited by ICEMAN76; 06-08-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Black Lion

Great thanks for the link... the ipod adapter are how much with these? How do you like compatibility with the ipod ie, functions etc? The 6620 does not have a hard drive correct?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 AM

Great thanks for the link... the ipod adapter are how much with these? How do you like compatibility with the ipod ie, functions etc? The 6620 does not have a hard drive correct?
Ur welcome. I think the iPod adapter was around $50 at crutchfield. Compatability is cool. You pretty much "hide" the iPod and the only time you will need to see it is when you want to take it out of the car. My ipod has been in the glove compartment for weeks now. And no, this eclipse doesn't have a HD. Their is an older Eclipse with a HD. It is the AVN 5495. It has a 30GBHDD and is a 6.5 inch screen. You may be able to find one if you really want a HDD. I hope that this helps.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:58 AM

5495 is still currently produced.

AVN7000 is also HD, but a flip out. ..
Old 06-08-2008, 08:16 AM

Last time I saw the 5495 was atleast a year ago at CC. Right now I live >45min to BB and CC. With how expensive gas is I don't just go for a ride anymore to see what's "new." I always wanted one until I found the 6620. Once I get my CMX kicks installed and doors Cascade'd, I'll be in "my" own audio bliss....
Old 06-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Black Lion

I'll stick to the bigger screens 7" such as Avn6620 or Avic Z3 $50 for the ipod adaptor not bad at all, are they still back ordered? Still torn between which unit to get. Have to find out which unit is better fitment wise (no gaps around dash) and I believe the 6620 is a bit cheaper on the price. Do you know what type of warranty Cruthfield offers on these?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Black Lion

o just checked on the website its 1 year on the warranty and they offer an extended warranty as well.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Black Lion

WOW Crutchfield has a sweet deal for the AVICZ2X they call it. It includes AvicZ2 , bluetooth adaptor, backup camera, and a free ipod interface adaptor all for 1,399. Doesn't seem like a bad deal. I also hear that the maps are upgradeable to the new AvicZ3 maps. Think this upgrade will void your warranty though.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Black Lion

lol I officially jacked this thread sorry.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

If you are willing to buy any unit off crutchfield, I would check with Pearl96max. He can offer a similar price and give great recommendations on install since he used to own a maxima and works on them a lot.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by meccanoble
If you are willing to buy any unit off crutchfield, I would check with Pearl96max. He can offer a similar price and give great recommendations on install since he used to own a maxima and works on them a lot.
I had my alarm installed by him and he does great work. But I want to do this install myself and learn about the system so if anything were to happen I can fix it myself minus if there were a problem with the head unit.. but thats why there are warranties. I will also be replacing Bose speakers with components for front and adding an amp for them. Not sure what make to go with.. don't want to spend more than $200 on them and about $200 for an Amp. But yeah checking on him for prices wouldn't hurt. Im don't know if he can beat the deal Crutchfield is offering, the are basically throwing in all the accessories I want for free. The also have a 6 month no interest available
Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Black Lion

Pioneer AVICZ3

Don would you be able to get me a price on the Avic z3? I really like the function of being able to rip songs from cd onto the hard drive along with the new map icons. Crutchfield doesn't have it on their website yet. I also need a good set of components for the front. Something that will fit in stock Bose location( buget listed above) so 2ways would be best correct? I'll go with rears at a later time. Which type of speakers do most use when replacing rear Bose speakers and will fit in stock location? And I would need an Amp for the rears and sub correct? For the sub I don't want to lose all my trunk space, so what size would be best to go with? I don't want anything to big.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Don would you be able to get me a price on the Avic z3? I really like the function of being able to rip songs from cd onto the hard drive along with the new map icons. Crutchfield doesn't have it on their website yet. I also need a good set of components for the front. Something that will fit in stock Bose location( buget listed above) so 2ways would be best correct? I'll go with rears at a later time. Which type of speakers do most use when replacing rear Bose speakers and will fit in stock location? And I would need an Amp for the rears and sub correct? For the sub I don't want to lose all my trunk space, so what size would be best to go with? I don't want anything to big.

Send him a PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Black Lion

Sent him one thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Question about the Avic Z3. Since all of its info is on a hard drive, does it slow down and start lagging when you add alot of music to it? You know, like most computers do when you start filling up the memory? N e one ever experience this with the Z3?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Black Lion

I think most on the org go with the Eclipse units so we may not get the answer to that question here. There is a website dedicated to pioneer avic z units. I think its avic 411 or something. I post it when I get home tonight.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 AM

I think most on the org go with the Eclipse units so we may not get the answer to that question here. There is a website dedicated to pioneer avic z units. I think its avic 411 or something. I post it when I get home tonight.
Well, I own the 6620 myself. It was a question that popped into my head when I read that you can rip music to it. Let me know what you find out. Thanx.

Last edited by ICEMAN76; 06-09-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Black Lion

lol so you looking on switching to the avic then? The hd can store 10gig for music.. that's a lot of songs you could store on there so I don't think it would slow down at all.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 AM

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.. Definately not switching. I used to own pioneer and they just don't do it for me anymore. That IS alot of space for music. Fortunately for me I have an iPod. It was just a question though.

Last edited by ICEMAN76; 06-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Black Lion

lol Sir yes Sir! have you ever owned an avic z? just curious of what you disliked of pioneer.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Never owned a Z. Don't remember what model I had. It was atleast 4-6 years ago. Even then I pretty much stuck with Kenwood H/U over Pioneer. Everyone had Pioneers. I didn't want to be like everyone else. I think when I looked at the Pioneers of old, they all looked alike to me. Then I bought 3 different vehicles and stayed with the stock H/U. I never really even looked at Pioneeer again. Always looked at Alpine, Eclipse, and Clarion. And before I bought my Eclipse, I looked at the Panasonic Strada. I may have bought a Pioneer had I looked at them when I was looking for a DD H/U. The world may never know.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol so you looking on switching to the avic then? The hd can store 10gig for music.. that's a lot of songs you could store on there so I don't think it would slow down at all.
I just use my ipod classic...playlists FTW.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Sports Button FTW

meh, who needs an ipod when you have a phone that can handle mp3. My mogul 6800 currently has an 8 gb memory card, havent used 3 gigs of the space yet. Most importantly, since music coming from phone, if a phone call comes in, it interrupts the music. You'll never miss a phone call again....this mainly applies to the big tymers who have the super loud systems
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by ICEMAN76
Never owned a Z. Don't remember what model I had. It was atleast 4-6 years ago. Even then I pretty much stuck with Kenwood H/U over Pioneer. Everyone had Pioneers. I didn't want to be like everyone else. I think when I looked at the Pioneers of old, they all looked alike to me. Then I bought 3 different vehicles and stayed with the stock H/U. I never really even looked at Pioneeer again. Always looked at Alpine, Eclipse, and Clarion. And before I bought my Eclipse, I looked at the Panasonic Strada. I may have bought a Pioneer had I looked at them when I was looking for a DD H/U. The world may never know.
I also looked at the Strata but what made me look away was how expensive the accessories are. I hear you on not wanting something everyone else has. Most people I talk when I mention the name Eclipse or Rainbow have never heard of them. Just goes to show that there are lots of great things out there other than the ones most publicized, namely Alpine, Pioneer, JL Audio Kenwood etc. I would just like to know what edge the Anv6620 has, if any over the Avic z3.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Looking on crutchfield's compare page the 6620 has 5volt preouts where the Pioneer has2 volt preouts. The Avic has better signal to noise ratio. There are a couple more different things. I don't know anymore b/c I've never "played" with the Avic anywhere. I also don't know anyone with it. I know that the better preout voltage helps give a better sound from your amp. Like I said though, I've never played with it.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM

I also looked at the Strata but what made me look away was how expensive the accessories are. I hear you on not wanting something everyone else has. Most people I talk when I mention the name Eclipse or Rainbow have never heard of them. Just goes to show that there are lots of great things out there other than the ones most publicized, namely Alpine, Pioneer, JL Audio Kenwood etc. I would just like to know what edge the Anv6620 has, if any over the Avic z3.
Preout voltage, however not nearly as important as the actual resistance - 5V/55Ohm.

Superior DAC and transport.

Not a **** ton of sub menus.

Very nice and sensitive touchscreen, saves the trouble of multiple presses.

Extremely accurate navi and quite quick as well for reroutes.

3 years of warranty.

1 year theft coverage.

First year of advanced exchange replacement.

All the functions and none of the crap should sum it up.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Preout voltage, however not nearly as important as the actual resistance - 5V/55Ohm.

Superior DAC and transport.

Not a **** ton of sub menus.

Very nice and sensitive touchscreen, saves the trouble of multiple presses.

Extremely accurate navi and quite quick as well for reroutes.

3 years of warranty.

1 year theft coverage.

First year of advanced exchange replacement.

All the functions and none of the crap should sum it up.
hmm On the Cruthfield website it says nothing of a 3 year warranty for Eclipse.. it only mentions 1 year and an option to buy extended warranty. Also nothing on theft. Pardon the unenlightenment but what does DAC stand for?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Black Lion

[QUOTE=ICEMAN76;6456484]Looking on crutchfield's compare page the 6620 has 5volt preouts where the Pioneer has2 volt preouts. The Avic has better signal to noise ratio. There are a couple more different things. I don't know anymore b/c I've never "played" with the Avic anywhere. I also don't know anyone with it. I know that the better preout voltage helps give a better sound from your amp. Like I said though, I've never played with it.

Thanks for the info I guess I will have to take a ride to a local six ave and check them out.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM

hmm On the Cruthfield website it says nothing of a 3 year warranty for Eclipse.. it only mentions 1 year and an option to buy extended warranty. Also nothing on theft. Pardon the unenlightenment but what does DAC stand for?
I think and am pretty sure it is Digital-to-Audio Conversion.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by ICEMAN76
I think and am pretty sure it is Digital-to-Audio Conversion.
hhmm that clears that up.. I have no idea what that is. I have much to learn, Im just a young padawan.

Quick Reply: Eclipse AVN6620?