Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Just had a wicked good install done: Wanna see?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by cfr94
I'd recommend (to keep the trunk space) have your sub (if you have just one) box fiberglassed in the cubby of the passenger side trunk. Bring it out flush so it blends with the front part of the trunk so you now would have a 'squared' trunk. That way you'll have the correct air-space, no loss of trunk and it would look just as clean. NTM if you go with 2 10's, you have them across from one another firing towards the center and have all those sound waves working against each other to create a more rich deep bass.

Don, could you do this, if I were to get just one sub?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Could I? Sure, but I thought you didnt want a sub?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Could I? Sure, but I thought you didnt want a sub?

yeah, but I forgot about having it flush mounted on the side.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
have all those sound waves working against each other to create a more rich deep bass.

Never heard that one before...??

More or less what I was getting is was that if you had both subs firing towards the center of the trunk (imaginary sound waves) they would fight against each other and have no where to go but through air space (blow through, rear deck speaker openings (if not being used)), etc. Twice as loud as sub hitting the back of the trunk wall in a typical set up. If not, then just use the one sub on the passenger side. Keep the wiring further away from the gas tank (that is why I recommend passenger side)
Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 PM

further away form the gas tank?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by travmaximas1998
further away form the gas tank?
Just a suggestion. IF the wires burn that is heat closer to the gas tank. Granted the fuse should blow first, but worse case. Hell, these are just suggestions for the driver, not something I've done myself.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
have all those sound waves working against each other to create a more rich deep bass.

Never heard that one before...??

More or less what I was getting is was that if you had both subs firing towards the center of the trunk (imaginary sound waves) they would fight against each other and have no where to go but through air space (blow through, rear deck speaker openings (if not being used)), etc. Twice as loud as sub hitting the back of the trunk wall in a typical set up. If not, then just use the one sub on the passenger side. Keep the wiring further away from the gas tank (that is why I recommend passenger side)

No sir. Im sorry, but your logic is flawed.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor

lol @ page 2. definitely worth my time.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Just a suggestion. IF the wires burn that is heat closer to the gas tank. Granted the fuse should blow first, but worse case. Hell, these are just suggestions for the driver, not something I've done myself.
gotcha
Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 PM

That is job done right!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Spence, I am trying to figure out one of your posts here. #33 to be exact. You are running your HU 2way active with a sub, yet you have passive crossovers and lack the wiring to be active. Just trying to decyfer.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor

i was wondering about that myself.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I R The Law

That looks really clean
Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
Spence, I am trying to figure out one of your posts here. #33 to be exact. You are running your HU 2way active with a sub, yet you have passive crossovers and lack the wiring to be active. Just trying to decyfer.
Im confused about that as well, unfortunately I havent had time to give him a call back yet.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Hey Chris. Yeah man, me too which is probably why I have so many questions regarding the tuning of it.

The H/U I have (the Eclipse CD7000) which gives you 2 speaker setups to choose from. A 4 speaker + sub setup or a 3 way setup. I have 4 speakers and a sub so logically, the 4+ is the way to go but after listening to it for a while, I thought it sounded like complete doo doo even after crossing it at the right slopes and frequencies and having EQ'd it a little bit too. Unless I've missed something, you can't even go meat and potato's and adjust the treble, middle or bass which is a monumental bummer. You can balance and fade (which oddly enough, you can't do in 3 way) but still.....................

So I gave the 3 way setup a try and I immediately noticed a huge difference. Not only in sound but in the tuning options. In that setup you can adjust the treble, middle and bass. In the crossover settings you can adjust the highs (which is where I'm trying to figure out the sweet spot on) the Mid HPF, Mid LPF & the Low unlike the 4+ setup, which you can only cross the Front (as a whole), Rear & Sub. You also get an 11 band v. 7 band EQ and again I can tune the highs, mids and lows instead of just a general EQ'ing of the whole thing.

Now I'm not sure if being in the 3 way setup is going active, but I've got the control to fine tune much better and can certainly hear the differences when tuning in that setup. IMO, it sounds 10x better and is what I expected to hear. I must say though that if the sub is not present, the front stage isn't as impressive but still sounds good. When the sub is in the house, it seems like they get solid as hell and the sound stage livens right up. When I get to EQ'ing and fiddling around with the time alignment properly I think it could be absolute gravy.

So I dunno, maybe they give you characteristic active tuning abilities in the 3 Way but is still a non active setup unless wired for it (which I am not). After looking around, albeit briefly, I couldn't find anything in the head unit that said active or about being in active v. non active mode. I'm still a green horn with this tuning business and am still learning what this H/U is all about and where everything is but I do know that it sounds so much better in the 3 way v. 4 speakers + sub setup. Weird huh. I guess I can kinda see why some folks aren't too thrilled with the interface.

Love to hear some other Eclipse owners chime in their thoughts about it. Any of you guys use the 3 way setup but have only 2 ways? Is there anything in the H/U interface that tells you about being active or non active?

Well, I gotta git to dag gum bed. I gotta start firing my stuff into a relo-cube tomorrow. Gonna rain like a bastard too. Lovely.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Interesting. I know what you did, just have never tried it before. It may be time for you to ditch the passive crossovers and jump right into active. With some minor wiring you would be good to go. This may also eliminate some of the issues you are experiencing. Possible limitations set by the passive crossovers as they are set from the factory could be a limiting factor as well. I am very glad your getting into the meat and potatoes now. For me, it is what makes this such an interesting hobby. Going active isn't as bad as you may think. If you decide to go that route, we can all give you guidance, just let us know.

Just a side note for you. I know I told you this at my house but, you will search for that perfect sound from now on. It will never end. You got a taste of the good stuff, so it can only improve as your experience level and tastes develope. Keep it up... You will learn the love the love hate relationship.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 PM

I have the Eclipse CD7100 and until yesterday always had it on 3-way setting. But thats' only if you're going active--hence all the extra features. For us passive guys, we should use the 4spk+SW setting, much more simple and if have the crossovers set correctly (which I'm in the process of doing) you should be fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Interesting. I know what you did, just have never tried it before. It may be time for you to ditch the passive crossovers and jump right into active. With some minor wiring you would be good to go. This may also eliminate some of the issues you are experiencing. Possible limitations set by the passive crossovers as they are set from the factory could be a limiting factor as well. I am very glad your getting into the meat and potatoes now. For me, it is what makes this such an interesting hobby. Going active isn't as bad as you may think. If you decide to go that route, we can all give you guidance, just let us know.

Just a side note for you. I know I told you this at my house but, you will search for that perfect sound from now on. It will never end. You got a taste of the good stuff, so it can only improve as your experience level and tastes develope. Keep it up... You will learn the love the love hate relationship.
At some point I'd love to go active. I'm quickly learning that I've got a huge desire to really dial in the sound I want and it looks like going active is really the only way to do it. It's gonna be fun but I hope my appetite doesn't put me in the poor house

Thanks again for your willingness to help and I look forward to exploring this active business in the near future.

Y'all rule.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
At some point I'd love to go active. I'm quickly learning that I've got a huge desire to really dial in the sound I want and it looks like going active is really the only way to do it. It's gonna be fun but I hope my appetite doesn't put me in the poor house

Thanks again for your willingness to help and I look forward to exploring this active business in the near future.

Y'all rule.
LOL. The search begins.

Glad to help.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Curious: What more do I need to go active?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 PM

are planning on goin 2 way or 3 way active?

Last edited by travmaximas1998; 05-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

are planning on goin 2 way or 3 way active?
Well, If there is a discernible difference in SQ by taking my sub active too, then 3 way. If the benefit is minimal and the cost and hassle of doing so is not, then I'll just do the fronts and go 2 way. Course I haven't really grasped what is involved in going active yet so honestly I'm not completely sure yet. Essentially I just want to do what is going to sound the best.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 PM

I would have to ask Kevin as he did all the wiring, not sure 100%. I will tell him to stop in and let you know what components you will need. I would assume some minor amp adjustments and an extra set of RCA's. Not too much.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 PM

I just let him know about the post. He should be here before too long.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM

Well, If there is a discernible difference in SQ by taking my sub active too, then 3 way. If the benefit is minimal and the cost and hassle of doing so is not, then I'll just do the fronts and go 2 way. Course I haven't really grasped what is involved in going active yet so honestly I'm not completely sure yet. Essentially I just want to do what is going to sound the best.
You dont have the physical drivers processing or the available amp channels to go three way. Two way would be a few simple adjustments and minimal wiring though.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:18 PM

I was thinking of something similiar to this.......
Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM

I was thinking of something similiar to this.......
Although it looks nice, I don't even want to think about the cancellation and combing issues that set up creates.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM

Don got to it, you dont need my post. Minimal wiring, although youd need to run an additional set of RCA's, and the amp rack wouldn't look so hot with the space for the crossovers now being empty.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Don got to it, you dont need my post. Minimal wiring, although youd need to run an additional set of RCA's, and the amp rack wouldn't look so hot with the space for the crossovers now being empty.
Ah, I know it. That's why I was thinking of leaving them on there. Obviously they won't be hooked up but they look so damn purty on there it'd be a shame to take them off.

So....you wanna take a road trip up here and make the required adjustments for me? It'll only be a 40 hour road trip here and back.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 AM

Ah, I know it. That's why I was thinking of leaving them on there. Obviously they won't be hooked up but they look so damn purty on there it'd be a shame to take them off.

So....you wanna take a road trip up here and make the required adjustments for me? It'll only be a 40 hour road trip here and back.
LOL. I doubt that trip will happen seeing as school is in full swing. Kevin and I are both FT for summer.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM

i would think u would be able to make the adjustments sort of minor i think and pretty easy i would say

just run new wire to the tweeters use ur headunit for processing, or set the amps frequency range

that is a 4 channel correct or is it just a 2?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

i would think u would be able to make the adjustments sort of minor i think and pretty easy i would say

just run new wire to the tweeters use ur headunit for processing, or set the amps frequency range

that is a 4 channel correct or is it just a 2?
Yup. 4 channel running 75 watts x 4. Do y'all suppose that will be sufficient if I go active?

I think what I might do first though is really sit down and try to tune it the best I can before I make the leap. Maybe there is something I'm missing. I dunno. If after I tune it as good as it can get and I'm still not feeling it in 4 + sub, then I'm gonna rock some active sometime this summer.

Also, is there any problem or potential harm I can do to my speakers if I stay in 3-way?