Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Adding 2 more speakers to a 5.5Gen??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

U mean ****
Originally Posted by slickrick
Don't hate cuz I watch movies while driving.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
Non bose!!

Everyone knows that the 6.5 speakers on 4 doors sounds okay along with the tweeters in the front.
I recently witched to a Pioneer Deck, with pioneer 4 way speakers and pyle 2 way speakers. I wanted to know If adding 2 more speakers to the back would be a good idea.

I plan on getting subs and amps for my car in the future.
It depends on what you're trying to achieve. There are two basic goals when setting up a system - Sound Quality and Sound Pressure Levels (a.k.a SQ and SPL). Sound Quality is self-explanatory, SPL in its basic form just means how loud you want the system to be--quality and clarity be damned.

If SQ is your goal, i suggest a good set of components up front coupled with an amp and a matched sub. This will give you the best type of imaging. If your headunit can handle it, you can even play with the time corrections so that the L/R channels are balanced to your seating position. Basically, the sound coming out of each channel will reach your ears at the same time. This is the "cheaper" way of setting things up, the alternative would be to place kicker panels (for example), so that the distance between speakers are equal to your position.

If done right, although you won't have speakers behind you, this set-up will "envelope" you with 2-channel music goodness, coupled with good bass from the sub behind you. Unless you have DVD-Audio, regular CD/iPod Music/XM Radio/FM Radio all transmit in two-channel anyway, so having it try to envelope you similar to a 5.1 setup via digital processing defeats the idea of SQ in a way.

Now if you're into SPL or just plain loudness, 4 speakers coupled with amps that can power all four is a good start. Adding a sub (or subs) will push it some more. You will literally be enveloped with sound. There's not much in the way of imaging and total SQ, but it will be loud. Depending on how acute your hearing is, there's a tendency that you'll be a bit confused by the music with the F/R channels seemingly mixing up or crossing over each other. It is in no way a bad set-up, if anything it's a personal preference.

Since those days, i have not used the rear door speakers. I'm much happier with the sound coming out of the system now.

Here's a simple test for you to figure out what you really want. With your current 4-speaker set-up (and what i hope is a sub already installed), pop a nice musical CD - I suggest Jazz or anything that has a lot of detailed instrument sound. Now adjust the fade balance between F and R channels. Close your eyes and sit back. Listen to each beat of the drum, strum of the guitar or even the vocals coming from the lead singer. Without opening your eyes, slowly fade the balance to the Front, effectively turning off the rear speakers. Listen and judge. Now do it again by fading to the back which effectively turns off the front. Listen and judge. Repeat as necessary.

Just remember, regardless of whatever you decide, that proper channel separation and distance modulation are the keys to good quality sound. Do not compare vehicle surround sound with that in your average home theater, the acoustics are very different--including the way music bounces within their respective confines.

I can go on talking about this, but hopefully you got the idea

- Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
It depends on what you're trying to achieve. There are two basic goals when setting up a system - Sound Quality and Sound Pressure Levels (a.k.a SQ and SPL). Sound Quality is self-explanatory, SPL in its basic form just means how loud you want the system to be--quality and clarity be damned.

If SQ is your goal, i suggest a good set of components up front coupled with an amp and a matched sub. This will give you the best type of imaging. If your headunit can handle it, you can even play with the time corrections so that the L/R channels are balanced to your seating position. Basically, the sound coming out of each channel will reach your ears at the same time. This is the "cheaper" way of setting things up, the alternative would be to place kicker panels (for example), so that the distance between speakers are equal to your position.

If done right, although you won't have speakers behind you, this set-up will "envelope" you with 2-channel music goodness, coupled with good bass from the sub behind you. Unless you have DVD-Audio, regular CD/iPod Music/XM Radio/FM Radio all transmit in two-channel anyway, so having it try to envelope you similar to a 5.1 setup via digital processing defeats the idea of SQ in a way.

Now if you're into SPL or just plain loudness, 4 speakers coupled with amps that can power all four is a good start. Adding a sub (or subs) will push it some more. You will literally be enveloped with sound. There's not much in the way of imaging and total SQ, but it will be loud. Depending on how acute your hearing is, there's a tendency that you'll be a bit confused by the music with the F/R channels seemingly mixing up or crossing over each other. It is in no way a bad set-up, if anything it's a personal preference.

Since those days, i have not used the rear door speakers. I'm much happier with the sound coming out of the system now.

Here's a simple test for you to figure out what you really want. With your current 4-speaker set-up (and what i hope is a sub already installed), pop a nice musical CD - I suggest Jazz or anything that has a lot of detailed instrument sound. Now adjust the fade balance between F and R channels. Close your eyes and sit back. Listen to each beat of the drum, strum of the guitar or even the vocals coming from the lead singer. Without opening your eyes, slowly fade the balance to the Front, effectively turning off the rear speakers. Listen and judge. Now do it again by fading to the back which effectively turns off the front. Listen and judge. Repeat as necessary.

Just remember, regardless of whatever you decide, that proper channel separation and distance modulation are the keys to good quality sound. Do not compare vehicle surround sound with that in your average home theater, the acoustics are very different--including the way music bounces within their respective confines.

I can go on talking about this, but hopefully you got the idea

- Mike
This is what a true response it. a response, detailed explanation, and other ways of going about it. hats off to you sir.
I don't have a sub installed at the moment but i plan on getting one. i have 2 pyle 240W _2way_ speakers in the back and Pioneer _3 way_ in the front, with a PIONEER PREMIER DEH-P590iB Receiver. (im getting a touch screan as a graduation gift soon so i can watch my movies) I plan on gettin either an Allpine or Kenwood 4 channel amp for the speakers... nothing big, like a 400W 500W...
2 12'' Kicker CVR'z or 1 12"" JL's along with a nice amp to power those up too... Anything else i should consider doing before getting this setup... I honestly would like to go with a clear crisp vocal sound along with hard hitting bass so.. SQ is my goal...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Uh yeah skip the touchscreen get a portable DVD player and nice set of bose headphones then take the money that you saved and by some good components.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 PM

like i said... its a gift, i had a choice between that a new plasma TV... but my boys finds them "left behind" when shippments come in to stores like best buy and what not so.. w/e they get me i can get way better. but they will never go for that deal. so i take this this touch screan and a car payment .
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM

i wanna watch band of brothers and have some UMPFFF!! when i watch it lolz
Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 PM

we DO drive 4 door sedans right? I guess people never have passengers and only care what a driver hears
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I don't know what you have in your front stage, but mine is more than adequate for my rear and front passengers.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:05 AM

... but my boys finds them "left behind" when shippments come in to stores like best buy and what not so...

Must elaborate. Something is not right with that statement or if it is, I sure as hell would not be posting it on a public forum.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Word, robbery.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 AM

quotation, i honestly have no idea how or where he gets them from.
How many people have changed there front tweeters ?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

90% of us have, and we replaced the whole front stage not just the tweeters, mids and tweets + amp(s).
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
90% of us have, and we replaced the whole front stage not just the tweeters, mids and tweets + amp(s).
Yeah, i replaced my receiver and speakers, not yet tweeters... what brand you want with ? and how many watts
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Romster
we DO drive 4 door sedans right? I guess people never have passengers and only care what a driver hears
i have speakers in my rear doors. I have them hooked up to the back of my headunit. When it's just me in the car, i fade to the front. If I have some passengers, I fade to the center. Honestly...it doesn't make that much of a difference with the two settings. In retrospect I would've skipped the rears.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM

maybe if you change out the pyles with some speakers with quality you will notice a differece
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by burnurass
i have speakers in my rear doors. I have them hooked up to the back of my headunit. When it's just me in the car, i fade to the front. If I have some passengers, I fade to the center. Honestly...it doesn't make that much of a difference with the two settings. In retrospect I would've skipped the rears.
Thats a great idea actually. I would love to skip rears if I had a 2 door, but you know how some people love to nag about everything. Guess I'll do the fade thing.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Just make sure the speakers will fit
Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Infinity-KSK
Just make sure the speakers will fit
lol give the man A LITTLE BIT of credit man!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by burnurass
Word...i cant hear my rears off the h/u and neither can my passengers.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 PM
tastey wheat

oh boy

Old 06-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
Word...i cant hear my rears off the h/u and neither can my passengers.
well I got a 4 channel amp just sitting there with 2 channels hooked up (components up front)
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Bridge the 4 channel to your comps.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM

the pyles i have are actually pretty good... bumps good!!
i keep my speakers centered... if you move the passenger seat up a bit u can hear it a lil more... but it sucks that they are just on the floor.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 PM

the pyles i have are actually pretty good... bumps good!!
i keep my speakers centered... if you move the passenger seat up a bit u can hear it a lil more... but it sucks that they are just on the floor.

Two problems here. First Pyles and pretty good don't go together in the same sentence. No offence your young you'll learn (I hope) and two your in a maxima forum not a Honda/Acura, Neon, or other young punk car forum, therefore the age, maturity, experience and knowledge level goes way up. Some of us, very few would have even excepted owning a Pyle when we were 16. I will give limited credit as most speakers even bottom of the barrel are better than they were 15 years ago. So most people here that have upgraded there system have done plenty of research, listening and installing to put in pretty good stuff and on a cheap install probably spend at least $1500 on the HU, Amp, Compents and sub depending on where they got it. So your asking questions from people that have alot better systems for what is most likely used for in the car listening to music not watching TV and such. A car sucks as a source for listening to music and is even worse if your trying some sort of mobile theatre.

Your not going to just buy tweeters they are going to be in a component set - mid woofer, tweeter and crossover. There's plenty companies people here can recommend even on a "lower" end scale of what most people are listening too.

Like I said before you should probably tell whoever is giving you this gift to exchange it for something more usefull. As if you want to have people here treat you more seriously FIX YOUR F'in GRAMMAR AND SPELLING gods sake your supposed to be in college write like it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 AM

so what pyles suck? bro all i said was they were pretty good... i didnt say they are the best i have owned man. I got sum Pioneers in the back along with a pioneer head unit man. i got the pyles mainly becuz it was last min thing cuz sum how sum way my front left speaker got damaged by water. theres a rubber piece when you open to door close to the fender that was out of place when i looked 4 problems. my boy gave them to me for basically free and i put em in. If i had a lil more money to spend i would get another pair of pioneers for the front. It's not like i went out and chose pyles over sum polk audio or pioneer bro. yeah im in college and im working and I got plenty of bills to pay, i cant just go out and buy everything in one shot or even close to one shot. i gotta gradually build up.

oh yeah bro, im tawkin on a forum with a bunch of grown guys, probably no where near where i live or my background.... i speak english pretty damn good for where im at right now still holding my italian and spanish speaking skills up to part.. not 100% but i still got an accent and cant pronounce certain things without a few tries. Its not the end of the world if i spell sumthin wrong or speak wrong bro, be easy
Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 AM

any way this thread aint bout me or my grammar it's about additional speakers to our cars iight. quit naggin bout little things.

Any way, so... My boys 05' Acura TL... has 8 Acura/ELS speakers and the same head unit i got cuz we both em them together, yet our 4 speaker setup will sound better than his... without subs or amps powering the speakers????
Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

our 4 speaker setup will sound better than his... without subs or amps powering the speakers????

C'mon now it won't soudn better, and no one said it will. You can't just compare something completely different to what you have. You HAVE to have good solid components in your system to complete a package for good sound. INCLUDING amps subs etc.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

any way this thread aint bout me or my grammar it's about additional speakers to our cars iight. quit naggin bout little things.

Any way, so... My boys 05' Acura TL... has 8 Acura/ELS speakers and the same head unit i got cuz we both em them together, yet our 4 speaker setup will sound better than his... without subs or amps powering the speakers????

First off, he has 8 speakers plus sub. You have 6 not 4.

Secondly, not a fair comparison - different vehicle and alot more processing went into it.

Id be willing to bet though that half of the people in this thread would walk all over his 8 speaker setup with just their frontstage ( 2 mids/2 tweets).
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
First off, he has 8 speakers plus sub. You have 6 not 4.

Secondly, not a fair comparison - different vehicle and alot more processing went into it.

Id be willing to bet though that half of the people in this thread would walk all over his 8 speaker setup with just their frontstage ( 2 mids/2 tweets).
^^^ apparently this guy swears it will that.... 4 (2 tweeters) will sound better than the Tl's ^^^

now he says 2 speakers and 2 tweeters will stomp on the tl's set up... i find that hard to believe son. Whats the bose setup for our car by the way ?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM

My germs take em hands down...
Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM

here we go....take it easy don. he just hasn't heard of the good brands. stock system < aftermarket system. its common sense if you know what to buy.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

^^^ apparently this guy swears it will that.... 4 (2 tweeters) will sound better than the Tl's ^^^

now he says 2 speakers and 2 tweeters will stomp on the tl's set up... i find that hard to believe son. Whats the bose setup for our car by the way ?
You find it hard to believe because you have very little knowledge about what's what.

You probably have no clue what an active front stage is, huh? Or imaging, or time alignment or anything of that sort, yet you come and question what all of us say. Most of us have been doing this for 10+ years if you don't wish to hear our advice, do it your way, and stop posting.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM

How bout this ... Ill have your friend come down since your not that far, I will put my measly 6 speakers setup in comparison to his and let him be the judge. In fact Ill even turn off my ribbons and we can do a 4 speaker Vs his 8 speaker. Sound fair?

And next time, young man, that you call me your 'son' produce a fuking birth certificate or keep your mouth shut.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:29 AM

How bout this ... Ill have your friend come down since your not that far, I will put my measly 6 speakers setup in comparison to his and let him be the judge. In fact Ill even turn off my ribbons and we can do a 4 speaker Vs his 8 speaker. Sound fair?

And next time, young man, that you call me your 'son' produce a fuking birth certificate or keep your mouth shut.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have not posted on here in a while......but OMG Don !!!!!!! That **** was funny!!

You can probablly un hook everything but your doors and still be fine.....your two vs his eight......?????........i got 50 bucks on Dons two. Funny **** right there........."son"......LOL!!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 AM

ooooh tell us time and date! I would like to join.

LOL and he was complementing on how young you look don. Take it as a compliment old man.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:43 AM

I understand that it's hard for you to believe four speakers can sound better and probably louder than eight speakers, but trust, it can be done. I suggest listen to the people that may have more experience and actually install the products they support. I don't want to assume you have less experience and have never installed, but if you haven't......my suggestion would be to listen and take in every thing you hear...after that, weigh everyones opinions. But in the end, it comes down to you actually making a decision and "listening" and deciding for yourself. We can tell you all day what sounds better, but ultimately it's what you like. Forums are for suggestions and advice and that's what they gave you.

On that note, get some Lightning Audio components...and you're set...Just playing (see that's bad advice...the other advice given to you was good)
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM

SON... if i ever saw u in person i would break ya fukin jaw for being such a dikk wehre itsz not needed. who started getting fed up here... you... like i said.. SON... calm ur azz down.

Yeah i do find it hard to believe becuz i havent been doing this for very long. Im more into motor work than systems ok... not even on nissans more so on hondas and acuras, but im spreading my horizons.... So... point me in the right direction instead of being a fukin ***** about things pearl..

to tha utherz... What type speakers should i look into runnin for the front, instead of the pyles. along with replacing the tweeters becuz they dont really mean much to me. when i get money then i can try out ya suggestions.

SOUND FAIR???
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 AM

I laugh at YOU, DAUGHTER...I think you should spend your future vacation time in Hawaii...I heard its nice there.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM

Ahhh here we go with the e-thuggin again. Tell ya what .. heres my number: 732-572-1969 call and make an appointment for that attempt at my my jaw.

EVERYONE here has tried to help you, including myself. Unfortunately your too ignorant to listen. You keep believing what you want, k?

I even volunteered to present a challenge to Prove your theorys flaws, you yet still decline and attempt to push it further.

Calm your attitude now, this is your last warning before your gone. Ive been more than patient with your crap and I simply wont tolerate anymore. Unfortunately some other forum will have to deal with your ignorance because it will Not be here anymore.

Now THAT is fair.

Quick Reply: Adding 2 more speakers to a 5.5Gen??