Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Viper install, now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM

Viper install, now car wont start

Hey guys. im stumped. I went out to get grab some grub and tired to start my car with my newly installed remote smart. Car cranked but would not fire. So i jumped in and tried starting it by hand, same deal. It sounds different when its trying to start too. The fuel pump kicks on and everything but it just sounds like the coils arnt getting and juice.

I didnt know if i should post it here of in the Electronic section. Figured i get more hits here. When i wired in the second ignition on the viper i was first told i would need a relay. Then i was told i wasnt by another org member. So what i did was tap the Second ignition from the brain to the second ignition wire from the cars ignition. Pink/white on the viper into the green/black on the keyside. I did NOT use a relay. could this have shorted something out? both 30a fuses on the brain are fine.

Now i drove the car this morning starting it with both the key and the remote. That is the only thing that has changed with my car recently.

Does the cars stock second ignition wire have a relay on it? Where can i find a fuse(if it has one) for the 2nd ignition?

Thanks everyone

Sean
Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Green/Black is a second starter, why in the world would you connect Pink/White which is an ignition wire to it??
Old 10-10-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Green/Black is a second starter, why in the world would you connect Pink/White which is an ignition wire to it??
... im not to sure.. i pretty much though starter and ignition where the same.. It worked till now.. What should have pink/white been conected to?

So im assuming from your post i must have messed something up big time..

Do you have aim? If you could, would you mind IMing me @ boostdmax96. Thanks

My first guess is i fried the ECU. If thats not it then theres got to be a dead wire or fuse somewhere.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Ignition and Starter are not the same in any way shape or form. The starter ..starts the car, the ignition powers everything up making it able to start the car (ie: fuel pump).

Right now your feeding 12V power to your key cylinder everytime you attempt a start. If it is indeed on the key side, you should be ok, but I suggest removing it promptly and applying it to the appropriate wire...One of the accessories...Specifically.. red/yel - red and your Orange wire should be on..blue - wht/blu.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM

help... anything would help me at this point
Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Ignition and Starter are not the same in any way shape or form. The starter ..starts the car, the ignition powers everything up making it able to start the car (ie: fuel pump).

Right now your feeding 12V power to your key cylinder everytime you attempt a start. If it is indeed on the key side, you should be ok, but I suggest removing it promptly and applying it to the appropriate wire...One of the accessories...Specifically.. red/yel - red and your Orange wire should be on..blue - wht/blu.
The pink/white was jsut tapped in. I stripped back part of the green/black and tapped it onto there. Where should the pink/white wire go? And why wont the car start anymore? I disconnected the pink/white as soon as i sat down and though about what could be wrong.

Right now the ignition works, the fuel pump starts, and everything seems to be normal. Just when I crank the car it never fires. It cranks and tries but never fires.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by sean05
The pink/white was jsut tapped in. I stripped back part of the green/black and tapped it onto there. Where should the pink/white wire go? And why wont the car start anymore? I disconnected the pink/white as soon as i sat down and though about what could be wrong.

Right now the ignition works, the fuel pump starts, and everything seems to be normal. Just when I crank the car it never fires. It cranks and tries but never fires.

I just posted it one post above this, you even quoted it.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 PM

i think pictures will do better justice
Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 PM

I just posted it one post above this, you even quoted it.
my bad. i didnt read it right. My red from the ign is connected to the orange from the brain. I dont see a white/blue anywhere. Also the red from the brain is connected the red from the ign.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnclyT
i think pictures will do better justice

Left is towards the ignition
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Old 10-10-2006, 03:24 PM

so i pretty much fudged this up. The only wire i touched in those pictures is the pink/white and the green/black. All other wires were hooked up from my buddy at work (Bestbuy)

So can anyone point me in the right direction on why my car wont fire? Seems like its not getting spark
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 PM

Great res pics, but honestly I have no clue what Im looking at. Can you perhaps seperate the wires a bit to give a better viewing of whats going where?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Great res pics, but honestly I have no clue what Im looking at. Can you perhaps seperate the wires a bit to give a better viewing of whats going where?
Let me see what i can do.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM

Looking at those pictures, I don't even see a relay for the starter kill. Don't you have a relay for the starter kill? When installing a remote start, a second relay must be installed and the second start wire (green/black or red/blue) must be energized in order for the car to start remotely. I remember this because I used to have a '95. Since I see you have a '96, the wire colors should basically be the same.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM

Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 PM

does that help any?

im not really worried about the alarm right now. Id rather get the car started then fix the alarm. Is that pink/white wire whats not allowing the car to start right now"?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM

does that help any?

im not really worried about the alarm right now. Id rather get the car started then fix the alarm. Is that pink/white wire whats not allowing the car to start right now"?
If you want the car to start from stock, just wire the ignition wires back to where they match up without any alarm wires tapped into them. By any chance, do you know what the colored wires from the alarm mean? The only wire I can see that is correct is the orange wire connected to the red. I still don't see any relays. Are there any relays in any of these wires?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
If you want the car to start from stock, just wire the ignition wires back to where they match up without any alarm wires tapped into them. By any chance, do you know what the colored wires from the alarm mean? The only wire I can see that is correct is the orange wire connected to the red. I still don't see any relays. Are there any relays in any of these wires?
There are no relays anywhere. I did not do any of those wires besides the pink/white and i have already removed this. Are they really all wrong? I mean i just want the car to run. if it would be easier to fix the whole deal with the alarm then so be it. I just though i might have fried something and thats why it wont start.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM

Looking at those pictures, I don't even see a relay for the starter kill. Don't you have a relay for the starter kill? When installing a remote start, a second relay must be installed and the second start wire (green/black or red/blue) must be energized in order for the car to start remotely. I remember this because I used to have a '95. Since I see you have a '96, the wire colors should basically be the same.
Well that is news to me. No one every told me anything about this. So where does what does the relay get connected to?

Poles 85 and 87 get 12v. Pole 86 goes to PURPLE ( - ) 200mA starter output on the Viper. Pole 30 goes to the green/black starter wire ? is that right
Old 10-10-2006, 04:17 PM

There are no relays anywhere. I did not do any of those wires besides the pink/white and i have already removed this. Are they really all wrong? I mean i just want the car to run. if it would be easier to fix the whole deal with the alarm then so be it. I just though i might have fried something and thats why it wont start.
No relays? What's the point in having an alarm if you can't kill the starter from starting if someone would happen to break in the car? First, you need to find out what those wires mean coming from the alarm brain before you tap them into other wires in the car. You can definitely do harm to your car if you don't know what you're doing. If I can remember correctly, Viper seems to use the same color scheme for their wiring. Purple and green are door trigger wires. That's why you need to inform us what the actual wiring from the alarm wires mean.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM

last night this was posted in my other thread..

Actually not needed at all. Primary starter FROM the key cylinder can go into Green. Then Purple gets Both wires going TO the starer itself.
When it says "purple gets both wires going to the start iteself which wires is he talking about.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM

Well that is news to me. No one every told me anything about this. So where does what does the relay get connected to?

Poles 85 and 87 get 12v. Pole 86 goes to PURPLE ( - ) 200mA starter output on the Viper. Pole 30 goes to the green/black starter wire ? is that right
Not quite. For killing the starter, pin 86 goes to armed output from alarm, pin 85 goes to +12V ignition (ignition start), pin 87A and pin 30 are split to the black/yellow wire in ignition harness. Pin 87 is left alone.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM

No relays? What's the point in having an alarm if you can't kill the starter from starting if someone would happen to break in the car? First, you need to find out what those wires mean coming from the alarm brain before you tap them into other wires in the car. You can definitely do harm to your car if you don't know what you're doing. If I can remember correctly, Viper seems to use the same color scheme for their wiring. Purple and green are door trigger wires. That's why you need to inform us what the actual wiring from the alarm wires mean.

From the Viper 791xv Installation booklet it says:

Purple- (+) output to starter circuit (starter side)
Green- Onboard starter kill (key side)
Red- (+) High current 12v input
Orange- (+) output to accessory circuit
Pink- (+) Output to primary ingition ciruit
Red- (+) high current 12v input
Pink/white- (+) output to second ignition curcuit
Red/White- (+) high current 12v input

and the wiring from the car:

12 volts: white/red or white/purple, (+), ignition harness
Starter: black/yellow or black/white, (+), ignition harness
Second Starter: green/black or red/blue, (+), ignition harness
Ignition: black/white or black/red, (+), ignition harness
Accessory: red/yellow or red, (+), ignition harness
Second Accessory: blue or white/blue, (+), ignition harness
Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Not quite. For killing the starter, pin 86 goes to armed output from alarm, pin 85 goes to +12V ignition (ignition start), pin 87A and pin 30 are split to the black/yellow wire in ignition harness. Pin 87 is left alone.
I got all of that besides Pin 86. What is the armed output for the alarm?

Is this the only relay i need on the ignition harness?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the 791xv has a onboard starter kill. you need to cut the black and yellow wire. The viper diagram labels it Green goes to key cylinder side , and purple goes to starter motor side. Or vice versa i always have to look in the manual because i forget. In anycase you can use either way for the secondary starter my way or pearl 96 max's way. Its completely up to you.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DcMaN
the 791xv has a onboard starter kill. you need to cut the black and yellow wire. The viper diagram labels it Green goes to key cylinder side , and purple goes to starter motor side. Or vice versa i always have to look in the manual because i forget. In anycase you can use either way for the secondary starter my way or pearl 96 max's way. Its completely up to you.
But what would make the car not fire? It sounds like its backfiring.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:09 PM

I got all of that besides Pin 86. What is the armed output for the alarm?

Is this the only relay i need on the ignition harness?
The information I gave you is just a simple relay in-line with the starter. These are connections from the primary harness of the alarm. The wire colors you listed are from the heavy guage wires for the key switch interface ONLY. What about the wires from the "remote start primary harness" and "remote start secondary harness". I'm assuming you have the whole alarm system along with a remote start?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:16 PM

The information I gave you is just a simple relay in-line with the starter. These are connections from the primary harness of the alarm. The wire colors you listed are from the heavy guage wires for the key switch interface ONLY. What about the wires from the "remote start primary harness" and "remote start secondary harness". I'm assuming you have the whole alarm system along with a remote start?

As i stated before, the installer at work did all the harness besides the H3 on the remote start. Everything on the alarm works fine besides the remote start. The only thing i connected was the pink/white from the heavy guage key switch interface.

Im getting a little more worried because the car is backfiring im smelling a ton of gas. Is there anyway that this could have fried the ecu?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DcMaN
I have the purple and green exactly how you stated above.

So where should the pink/white from the alarm get connected to? The blue wire from the ign?

Is there anyway i could have fried the ecu or something? the car smells like gas tanker, and its backfiring everytime you try and start it
Old 10-10-2006, 05:51 PM

anyone? theres got to be a solution for these. If the alarm wasnt correctly wired up would it not start? Why is is smelling like gas and also backfiring?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM

I have the purple and green exactly how you stated above.

So where should the pink/white from the alarm get connected to? The blue wire from the ign?

Is there anyway i could have fried the ecu or something? the car smells like gas tanker, and its backfiring everytime you try and start it

Thats fine, although your still missing the second starter then.

I posted where that wire should in post #4
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM

With all do respect and please do not take, but this is why these things should be left to people that know what theyre doing. Your already out of a warranty just by owning it/trying to install it. If anything is wrong with the unit itself your SOL and will end up spending what could have been done in a couple hours by a professional.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Thats fine, although your still missing the second starter then.

I posted where that wire should in post #4
im going to do what you posted in post 4 but is there anything i could have fried?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Kevin...when your done reading this...for the love of God please go help this kid out...
Old 10-10-2006, 06:14 PM

With all do respect and please do not take, but this is why these things should be left to people that know what theyre doing. Your already out of a warranty just by owning it/trying to install it. If anything is wrong with the unit itself your SOL and will end up spending what could have been done in a couple hours by a professional.
i dont beleive anything is wrong with the unit itself. the doors and everything else work. the only probably is that the car wont start with a key. it just cranks. No offense was taken with your post, i do understand where your coming from.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM

So the only thing i realy have to do is hook up the pink/white to a relay? I mean im so lost now ive been sitting here staring at my computer and all these wires for hours now. I just theres nothing serious wrong with the car itself.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:21 PM

NO !!!!

Just connect it to the wire that I told you33 posts ago. YOU DO NOT NEED ANY MORE RELAYS.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 PM

NO !!!!

Just connect it to the wire that I told you33 posts ago. YOU DO NOT NEED ANY MORE RELAYS.
ohh boy.. so there is no need for a relay? ive been told two different things. So you can do it eatiehr way?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Kevin...when your done reading this...for the love of God please go help this kid out...
I dont even want to get caught up in this thread honestly...but the first actual day I have free isnt til early next week, unless sean05 you have a lighted work area in which to work at night, either way itd be about $40 in gas plus labor to fix...and some kinda fee for 4 hours of driving time.

Quick Reply: Viper install, now car wont start