Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

ho alt for 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Excessive !
These are direct bolt on alternators - No belt replacement, no grinding down "nubs", etc.
is there any way to get a higher output at idle tho? i like have 140-150 amps on tap @ 700rpm
Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CreativeDesignz
is there any way to get a higher output at idle tho? i like have 140-150 amps on tap @ 700rpm

Are you using the ford 3G alt ?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 AM

im assuming so its the one from can-am. im pretty sure its a ford alt.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 AM

im assuming so its the one from can-am. im pretty sure its a ford alt.

Those are large case alternators and they produce more at idle than the factory style alternator. The only problem is that they have to be modified to install. I can build the Ford alt's as well. What is their website ? I typed in www.can-am.com and it took me to some GAY website !!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Those are large case alternators and they produce more at idle than the factory style alternator. The only problem is that they have to be modified to install. I can build the Ford alt's as well. What is their website ? I typed in www.can-am.com and it took me to some GAY website !!!!
http://www.canammotors.com
Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 PM

the case is very very slightly larger than the stock nissan one. the thing that sucks is the top mounting hole doesnt line up with the original one so one needs to be made with some home depot parts. at any rate i personally would rather have one that fits factory mounting and everything. whats the maximum rpm on your alternators?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:08 PM

the case is very very slightly larger than the stock nissan one. the thing that sucks is the top mounting hole doesnt line up with the original one so one needs to be made with some home depot parts. at any rate i personally would rather have one that fits factory mounting and everything. whats the maximum rpm on your alternators?
I dont really have a max rpm rating on them, I have never had one fail due to rotor wires coming apart,etc. due to high revs.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NABU6
I'm very interested. I had a conversation with Nathan about the same thing. Let's get this going.
okay, would you like to be in charge then? I will most def be in for one.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:16 PM

I dont really have a max rpm rating on them, I have never had one fail due to rotor wires coming apart,etc. due to high revs.
thats great to know! i may be coming to you in the near future for one. do you have a core charge or anything? or is it just a completly new alternator?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:28 PM

thats great to know! i may be coming to you in the near future for one. do you have a core charge or anything? or is it just a completly new alternator?
No core charge on them
Old 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM
blah

Excessive ! - when does the alt turn on? on the faq's it says 900rpm. Being that I have a 5 speed my idle is about 600 rpm. This is important to me because I live in the city which means I'm sitting still a lot. If it is on at 600+ and its a direct fit sign me up.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Batxel
Excessive ! - when does the alt turn on? on the faq's it says 900rpm. Being that I have a 5 speed my idle is about 600 rpm. This is important to me because I live in the city which means I'm sitting still a lot. If it is on at 600+ and its a direct fit sign me up.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
okay, would you like to be in charge then? I will most def be in for one.

It doen't matter to me. I tried to post something in the group deal forum, but I couldn't for what ever reason. Anyway, Nathan emailed me and stated that if at least ten people are willing to purchase one, he can bring the price down to $325 including shipping.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:35 AM

It doen't matter to me. I tried to post something in the group deal forum, but I couldn't for what ever reason. Anyway, Nathan emailed me and stated that if at least ten people are willing to purchase one, he can bring the price down to $325 including shipping.
I would definitely be IN!!! I have a feeling that my orignial stocker is about to take a dump on me. Someone make a GD!!!

drew
Old 11-16-2005, 02:06 PM

It will charge at idle on the Maxima's.

.......THAT'S GOTTA HURT !
Old 11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Back from Hibernation

325...I wouldn't be able to come up with that for an alternator till January...but if the ratings at idle were high, it's a direct fit, and theres some warranty, I would definately be ready to spend it in Jan.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Back from Hibernation

THANKS FOR THE LINK!

just kidding
Old 11-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BBOYSTEVIE
325...I wouldn't be able to come up with that for an alternator till January...but if the ratings at idle were high, it's a direct fit, and theres some warranty, I would definately be ready to spend it in Jan.
i need mine now! we dont care about u... j/k
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM

I have an alt. from Can-Am and was wondering how did you wire it up? Besides replacing the 4 gauge to 0g. what did you do with the wires on the HO alt. harness? Is there a write up?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lawtown
I have an alt. from Can-Am and was wondering how did you wire it up? Besides replacing the 4 gauge to 0g. what did you do with the wires on the HO alt. harness? Is there a write up?
sell it because its the biggest piece of junk you will ever own. im on my 7th or 8th can am alternator... that should speak for itself. a different excuse everytime from art. not to mention the amount of $ i paid in shipping to fl each time 16 bux to ground it then wait 2 weeks for everything. do yourself a favor and throw it up on ebay asap.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
blah

It will charge at idle on the Maxima's.

.......THAT'S GOTTA HURT !
When's the group buy starting. I need MO power NOW!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Droppin logs

When's the group buy starting. I need MO power NOW!
I second that!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 AM

sell it because its the biggest piece of junk you will ever own. im on my 7th or 8th can am alternator... that should speak for itself. a different excuse everytime from art. not to mention the amount of $ i paid in shipping to fl each time 16 bux to ground it then wait 2 weeks for everything. do yourself a favor and throw it up on ebay asap.
I've had it sitting there for about 3 months. I started to wire it up but the harnesses don't match and the blue (choke) wire doesn't make sense. I just want to know how did you wire everything up. I thought about selling it and getting an oem one but I just want to try and finish this one since it's in just not completly wired. So if you can just let me know how did you wire it up?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 AM

Yeah, the CanAm is confusing, especially since they send some really clear instructions and since it's designed so well for our cars. Had I known a year ago what I know now, I would have just gotten an OEM and been done with it. Or bought a HO alternator for a Ford, it's not like CanAm did anything to it to fit our cars.

Run the blue wire to a keyed ignition wire. I think Creative ran his to his ignition harness. I just tapped mine into the stock alternator signal wire. I don't know about your '03, but on mine the stock alternator harness has 2 wires. One is a constant 12V source, and the other is ignition. I had it hooked up to the wrong one, and the alt was always on, and recently I switched it and now it works properly.

Should be 3 wires out of the alternator regulator, 1 has a ring terminal and goes to the post, 2nd is already run back into another plug, and the 3rd is just loose. That one is for the signal.

Originally Posted by Lawtown
I've had it sitting there for about 3 months. I started to wire it up but the harnesses don't match and the blue (choke) wire doesn't make sense. I just want to know how did you wire everything up. I thought about selling it and getting an oem one but I just want to try and finish this one since it's in just not completly wired. So if you can just let me know how did you wire it up?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks, well it's for my 95 gle. I did splice mine to the other harness (ignition wire). Did you run the 0/1 gauge +power wire to the fuse box or straight to the battery? And the thin black -wire that connects to the bracket and block near the unusable top alt. bolt, what did you do with that wire? Sorry for all the questions but I really do appreciate the help! I'm trying to get my 95 running to either sell or have as back up just in case my wife's car dies. I just got the 03 about 2 months ago. My 95 was my Baby untill the alt. died and left me stranded. Thank goodness for AAA.lol
Old 11-18-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
I second that!

This can start at anytime as long as there are at least 10 people ready to order.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:02 PM

u run 0 guage directly to the battery. i have an optima so i got an extra side post and just connected it to that. u need to be careful tho because the power wire will eventually ground itself out on the nub on the side of the alternator and either blow the fuse or cause some sort of damage. im telling u if u dont want headaches later ditch this friggin alt its the worst piece of equipment ever installed in my car.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Yeah, I pretty much regret it when I started buy the wires and pulling the alt. One more ? lol Did you cut the resistor thing on the blue wire off? Thanks for all you help Shadow!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:47 PM

NO that resistor must stay on that wire! sell it man im tellin u the first time u redline your car that rotor will be smoked 8 times i had to send mine in.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:54 AM

I'm ready to order so count me in
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 PM

Um what resistor? Mine never had a resistor on the wire. And it wasn't even blue, I have a yellow wire there instead.

BTW, my Can Am is officially toast, I thought it was fixed, but it just went and took out another battery fuse. The other day after I fixed the grounded out wire, everything seemed fine. But this past Saturday, I cranked the car up. Started fine, then I heard the belt squealing so I shut it down to tighten the belt. As soon as the car shut off, I noticed a popping/sizzling sound. I run over to look, and I see the alternator start to arc from the voltage regulator area, right between where the 3 wires come out. Then there was a big spark, a loud pop, and a little smoke. I pull the battery terminal and check the battery fuse, of course it's blown.

When I cranked the car up, the car was charging, I saw 14.4V-14.7V at the battery. But I guess the voltage regulator was bad and it just didn't show it until it turned on.

I'll be calling Art tomorrow.

NO that resistor must stay on that wire! sell it man im tellin u the first time u redline your car that rotor will be smoked 8 times i had to send mine in.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 PM

which is another reason why u should get it fixed and sell it on ebay asap. im telling u if it breaks again im making a claim with the BBB. im not sending this thing in for a 9th time if it breaks. i could have paid for a plane ticket down there to throw this thing through their front window.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 AM

Maybe one of the mods will allow me to post this in the Group Deal Forum. For some reason, I cannot posts there.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 AM

This can start at anytime as long as there are at least 10 people ready to order.
We need to get a list started to see how many are in. here is the link :

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=4501709

It wont let you post on that link. We need to get a list to see who is in.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:06 AM

I'm definitely in
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 AM

If anyone has any questions - please email me at Excessivegroupbuy@yahoo.com this is an email address dedicated for the group buys. If you email me through the website you will not get a reply as fast. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi

email sent on the group deal
Old 11-27-2005, 01:53 PM

Email sent, Nathan.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 AM

Which one is taking care of the group buy ?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:35 PM

^^^^^
yah what he said....

IM IN!!!

Quick Reply: ho alt for 4th gen