Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Just installed a Pioneer DEH-P8600MP

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just installed a Pioneer DEH-P8600MP

I bought this head unit to try it out, and to see if it would offer SQ close to my Eclipse CD8454. If it does I will probably keep it and sell the 8454. I installed this in my car on Thursday, and I think I may have it adjusted to where I want it. The auto EQ and time alignment on it work really nice. The auto EQ I used as a start and only made small changes to it (it has a 13 band graphic EQ). The auto time alignment was perfect, the singer's voice was right in front of me. The BBE processing on it is one of the main reasons I picked this unit up, and like before it did not dissapoint. The Burr Brown DAC's make this HU sound nice.

I will try it out for a couple of weeks and see what I decide to do then (I had this unit before but did not give an honest try). So far I am really liking it. It is a tad flashy for me, but I like how it sounds. I believe it is more user friendly than my Eclipse (is next to me in the computer desk right now). While I listen mainly to regular CD's, I sometimes use my MP3 CD's. This thing is great at the MP3 thing. My 8454 does not show the folder or song #, let alone let you search for a song. The 8600 starts playing them right away, and you can search other folders very quickly and easily. The one thing I really liked about the Eclipse (besides the very nice SQ) was that it had a dedicated input for additional sources, with the Pioneer I had to purchase and additional part. The Pioneer also does not have a dedicated power antenna lead, so the power antenna goes up everytime the HU is turned on. I wll buy a switch for it this week for the few times that I listen to the radio. If I keep it, I think I will be getting a Sirius tuner .
Old 09-11-2005, 08:13 PM

I have use the Dolphin sreensaver on it

You know the stuff 2DaMax likes

I only did it to show my 4 year old daughter .
Old 09-11-2005, 08:49 PM

One of my favorite Pioneer single din decks. Although Id have kept the 8454.

Enjoy, and post up results.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:46 PM

nicee, glad you like it, but from an eclipse to pioneer? is it a noticeable difference or something you have to listen for?

btw DOLPHINS ROCK!! Just becarefull, i was staring too long at it and nearly swerved off the road, well i did total the car before, but thats because i wasnt staring at the dolphins..or was i?? o well nice hu
Old 09-11-2005, 11:33 PM

I have the same deck, well almost...Ive got the DEH p860mp i beleive it is, the premier version of yours..... i love it myself had it for a month or so now.....simple easy to use, and the auto EQ is great, specially for me... but i dont know much of the tech features of the unit, like u seem to know :O
Old 09-12-2005, 11:51 AM

That antenna going up thing has bothered me too if you get that switch thing can you let me know how it goes? Maybe some pics or a writeup since I don't remember which wire hooks up to the antenna.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by generation3
That antenna going up thing has bothered me too if you get that switch thing can you let me know how it goes? Maybe some pics or a writeup since I don't remember which wire hooks up to the antenna.
Basically just wire one of those on and off switches from Radio Shack (about $2 to $3 dollars for one) in line with the remote turn on wire going to the antenna wire (blue one) and flick it/push it when you want the antenna to go up. I did something similar for my older Alpine system to let an auxillary source through the CD changer connection, when turned on it would interrupt the sound from the changer and let the auxillary source's sound come through.

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
nicee, glad you like it, but from an eclipse to pioneer? is it a noticeable difference or something you have to listen for?
Whil the Eclipse HU sounds very nice, this thing is no slouch in the sound department. It has 4v preouts (these HU's actually put out what they claim not like my last 2 Alpines) at 100 ohms, a good amount of sound tuning options, as well as those nice sounding Burr Brown DAC's. It produces nice sound, and when I turn on the BBE circuit it sounds even better . It handles MP3's with no problem (very easy and fast search function). I sometimes listen to MP3's and my Eclipse HU would sometimes have issues with them. This is not the main reason I am trying the Pioneer out (I mainly listen to regular CD's), but it is a plus on its side. I am happy enough with the sound, functions, and ease of use that I am really leaning towards keeping it.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:10 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I've never had an eclipse other than the 7002 and that wasn't the cd player. I always wondered if pioneer was that inferior to an eclipse. Mind you the pioneer has a sound competition deck too. I always liked pioneer because they made use of an adjustable crossover built into the unit and adjustable imaging settings, that makes almost any speaker sound better when set right.