Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

equalizers...AudiControl, Zapco or CDT???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:53 PM

equalizers...AudiControl, Zapco or CDT???

Okay, youve sold me on the CDT components, but what about an equalizer? Everyone says theirs are the greatest, but which one is better? CDT offers one for thier speakers, but im not really sure its an equalizer. Then of course, theres the AudioControl (www.audiocontrol.com) stuff, but no one seems to know much about it. And im going with the Zapco amp (360.4) and the guys at Zapco said the sp4-sl equalizer would work great. Any comments???
Old 03-04-2005, 10:07 PM

omg...zapco...drools...jealous

my pockets arent that deep yet...someday

-kevin
Old 03-04-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
omg...zapco...drools...jealous

my pockets arent that deep yet...someday

-kevin
I was expecting an answer. But oh well, at least I know im on the right track
Old 03-04-2005, 10:45 PM

sry bro im not much of an equalizer guru, i was just giving you a free bump. but dont fear, others will chime in.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:40 PM

im sure any will do, its an eq... its adjusts frequencies.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:08 PM

someone on the org told me eqs are bandaids to a bad sysem?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max

Well, everywhere Ive read, its important to set up the system ona equalizer to get the best "realistic" sound. If its set up right, you get the feeling that there is a "stage" right in front of you and you can visualize where each instrument or voice is coming from.

And I know equalizers are NOT bandaids. One of the performance car audio mags had a photo of a Benz that had like 4 Helix amps set up and an AudioControl EQ in the trunk, so if Helix amps are part of a bad system, then hell, what makes a good one???
Old 03-05-2005, 12:25 PM

so if i get a eq my system will sound better? more bass?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:09 PM

no, you need an overhaul. eq'ing is nice but higher end h/u's can do alot of it for you.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
no, you need an overhaul. eq'ing is nice but higher end h/u's can do alot of it for you.

So if Im sticking with stock HU then that means I wouls benefit from it.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 PM

i think you'd benefit more from an aftermarket h/u, check out the GD thread.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:48 PM

i think you'd benefit more from an aftermarket h/u, check out the GD thread.

Which one we talkin about?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:55 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=385085
Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 AM

I have an AudioControl EQ 4 channel and let me tell you, it DOES make a difference in sound. You are to set it once to the acoustics of your interior, and that's it. Maybe, that is why it's a seperate unit to be mounted in the trunk, so that you don't have to keep playing with frequencies. Check my homepage for pics.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:16 AM

EQ is one of the most important parts for a well designed system. As for which one to pick, it all depends on your budget....
Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
then they dont know what they are talking about....

An automotive environment suffers from many annoyances such as cancellations and reflections, not considering the differences in drivers and its effect on stock OEM locations. I do agree however that it should only be used to boost or cut only particular frequencies that need it, not the improper use of boost across all bands.

Aftermarket EQ's main benefit IMO, is that they are high voltage preamps. The boost in signal strength and high voltage signal to the amplifiers alone allows for more headroom and keeping your amps gains lower to achieve their maximum power.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:10 PM

I agree with Manny. It's nearly impossible to achieve a flat in car response without an EQ. However, I also agree with the post about buying an aftermarket HU. I would definately suggest doing that first since most HUs sold these days have some sort of EQ built in already.

If you do still decide you need an EQ I'd lean toward whatever you can find a good deal on off ebay. Personally, I've always used Audiocontrol and I've never been dissapointed with their products but there are plenty of other good options out there.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
I agree with Manny. It's nearly impossible to achieve a flat in car response without an EQ. However, I also agree with the post about buying an aftermarket HU. I would definately suggest doing that first since most HUs sold these days have some sort of EQ built in already.

If you do still decide you need an EQ I'd lean toward whatever you can find a good deal on off ebay. Personally, I've always used Audiocontrol and I've never been dissapointed with their products but there are plenty of other good options out there.

Okay, since I can tell you know what youre talking about, Lets say I get an Eclipse 2454 HU and a Zapco 360.4 amp (with optional Symbilink) and some CDT ES-600's & ES-620's. Will I still benefit from an EQ? I really like the Eclipse HU, but dont like the fact that its not XM ready. Is there one of similar quality as the Eclipse that is XM ready without sacrificing features? Also, what AudioControl EQ would work best for my setup??/
thanks!!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Haven't really studied up on XM capable HUs, but I believe Pioneer Premier and Alpine make some.

Look for a HU with a 5 band parametric EQ and you'll be good. Unless you are really looking for perfection and are willing to take the time and spend the money on true 1/3 octave eqs, I really wouldn't bother with anything else.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
Okay, since I can tell you know what youre talking about, Lets say I get an Eclipse 2454 HU and a Zapco 360.4 amp (with optional Symbilink) and some CDT ES-600's & ES-620's. Will I still benefit from an EQ? I really like the Eclipse HU, but dont like the fact that its not XM ready. Is there one of similar quality as the Eclipse that is XM ready without sacrificing features? Also, what AudioControl EQ would work best for my setup??/
thanks!!
The discontinued 2454 has a decent EQ already built in. The newer/current 5435 has the same EQ and with a bit more on the preout side. Whichever one you go with they will do the job, unless like Maxima Dan said you spend the money for a higher end EQ. Some will say any will work, not usually the case as cheaper units will just add more noise, rather then help the system.

-_Don
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
The discontinued 2454 has a decent EQ already built in. The newer/current 5435 has the same EQ and with a bit more on the preout side. Whichever one you go with they will do the job, unless like Maxima Dan said you spend the money for a higher end EQ. Some will say any will work, not usually the case as cheaper units will just add more noise, rather then help the system.

-_Don
So is the Eclipse classified as a cheaper unit that will just add noise? Sorry, getting a little lost here. So would it just be simpler to get a H/U with the features I want, and invest in a separate EQ? Also, lets pretend I dont get the new H/U right away, so I would buy the EQ first and add a H/U later on. Which one would you go with for my setup? One that of course would be compatable with my system and the eventual new H/U.

thanks guys!!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 PM
renatonetmail

So is the Eclipse classified as a cheaper unit that will just add noise?
I believe he was refering to the EQ......in adding anything onto the signal path you run the risk of adding noise if the equipment in not up to par- one of the risks in going with external processing, although in most cases its a non-issue

Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
我爱台湾

Okay what do you think of this setup. I have a Alpine 7977 headunit with a Alpine 5755 sound processor/eq. I am considering get rid of the soound processor so that i can drop the cd player down to the bottom din slot and put my 5.6 monitor in where both headunits currently reside. But my curiosity is on what you guys think about my combo?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by durtty1
Okay what do you think of this setup. I have a Alpine 7977 headunit with a Alpine 5755 sound processor/eq. I am considering get rid of the soound processor so that i can drop the cd player down to the bottom din slot and put my 5.6 monitor in where both headunits currently reside. But my curiosity is on what you guys think about my combo?

How does this help answer my original question?!?!?!?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 AM
我爱台湾

How does this help answer my original question?!?!?!?
Because I am giving you another option with an EQ, that's how it helps you. And BTW I have been to many competitions although only being on the west coast and it seems that Audiocontrol is used more than some of the other brands out there in the market. Many of the competitors in the Slap Db and some of the other National Sound-Off events that the IASCA sponsor use Audiocontrol. I had a Zapco in my 90 Max I had back in the day and it was a true performer. It's really is going to be a matter of preference. And I wasn't trying to hijack your post but wanted to show another option and get an opinion at the same time cause I may be getting rid of that digital eq I have from Alpine.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:29 AM

but alpine??? why???
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 AM

dont hate on alpine becuase of the other thread. they do make quality products, its just not their fault there are better brands out there for cheaper/same cost. anyway since were on the topic of eq's, a friend of mine claimed his friend got an eq for his car and made it sound 10x better and alot louder. is this feasible or did he not know how to use his radios eq and just turned up all the frequencies ala pimp my ride to make it louder/more distortion?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=slickrick]dont hate on alpine QUOTE]

Wasnt hatin on Alpine, its just whenever I ask about quality, no one ever says anything about Alpine. And, like you said there are better products out there for the same price (most of the time), and I know that price is a big factor, but if youre already spending a few hundred (or thousand) dollars on a system, why not just do it right the first time? (Just my opinion here)
Old 03-09-2005, 09:05 AM

exactly! doing it right the 1st time is the cheapest way to go in the long run.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont hate on alpine becuase of the other thread. they do make quality products, its just not their fault there are better brands out there for cheaper/same cost. anyway since were on the topic of eq's, a friend of mine claimed his friend got an eq for his car and made it sound 10x better and alot louder. is this feasible or did he not know how to use his radios eq and just turned up all the frequencies ala pimp my ride to make it louder/more distortion?
My brothers Arc PEQ7 did the same to his fronstage- its specs say '20db Headroom' and only a 3 bands of the 7 are in use giving a slight boost in each freq (not turned up all the way)