Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How remote start works...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 04:13 PM

How remote start works...

I was reading some adds in the paper about it, and got really interested...

Will i still need to put my key in after the car is on? What exatly gets done to my car when they put it in???
Old 11-03-2004, 07:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

...it puts unecessary wear on your car.

they usually shut off after 10 minutes. you have to use your key to drive. I would never get one. wasted $$ and gas.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:06 PM

depends on what alarm/rs you pick for this feature, working with DEI:

put in your key
turn ignition on
step brake
and drive like normal.

i dunno if 98 came with the chip in the car, if it does fork out cuople more dollas for another brain to leave your key in.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:46 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

they usually shut off after 10 minutes. you have to use your key to drive. I would never get one. wasted $$ and gas.

You have obviously been VERY misinformed. First of all there is absolutely no extra "wear" on your car. Simple put..when you turn the key it sends 12V to your starter. Remote start does the exact same thing. No more, no less.

Yes of course you need your key to drive, otherwise your steering wheel would still be locked and people could easily steal remote started cars.

Waste of money and gas???? Please explain? You dont warm up your car on cold days? Waste of an engine.....

--Don
Old 11-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Lystat2k2se

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You have obviously been VERY misinformed. First of all there is absolutely no extra "wear" on your car. Simple put..when you turn the key it sends 12V to your starter. Remote start does the exact same thing. No more, no less.

Yes of course you need your key to drive, otherwise your steering wheel would still be locked and people could easily steal remote started cars.

Waste of money and gas???? Please explain? You dont warm up your car on cold days? Waste of an engine.....

--Don
Concur Initial, I had one on my sentra when i was in upstate NY, worked great for those F%^&ing -30 days, now im in florida so no need for the max to have one, but its a good investment if ur anywhere where it gets cold as S$%t

Old 11-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

--Don
LOL you tell him don!
Originally Posted by lexx426
I was reading some adds in the paper about it, and got really interested...

Will i still need to put my key in after the car is on? What exatly gets done to my car when they put it in???
you start your car with the alarm remote, put the key in the ignition but dont turn all the way. press brake, shift to gear, and drive. it mostly for warm ups or to cool your car down on hot days if your ac is left on. the install is like another other after market alarm, but they will also need to add the remote start module for it, some tapping of more wires and what not(harder than it sounds)
Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

You have obviously been VERY misinformed??????--Don
my answer:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=79

my "misinformation" :
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=77

warming car by idling is very bad I have learned this by several very knowledgeable mechanics/engineers.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Lystat2k2se

Well I did it for about 6 years nad never had any trouble from my sentra. Thant not to say it isn't bad but I never had any issues, Maybe its just like smoking, u might or might not get cancer? I have also heard that starting your car with the AC on is bad to but then i have been doing that ever since i was old enough to drive and no issues related. I am no mechanic, maybe these harmful things are extreme and not nessaceraly gonna happen??? I cant spell either

Old 11-04-2004, 09:34 PM

u can program the remote start to run 12, 24 or even 60 minutes....

Originally Posted by maximus nismus
i dunno if 98 came with the chip in the car, if it does fork out cuople more dollas for another brain to leave your key in.
98 maximas don't have a immobilizer so u don't need an extra key.....from what i can remember 99+ need immobilizer bypass module with an extra key
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Wow, thats sweet. Im in Nor-Cal so not really a need to warm the car up, but it gets to be 50 or lower in the winter around here... The deal is 200 dollars out the door with two remotes, the alarm, and the install. Worth it or not?!?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Maxima Mike

I have one, and I haven't had any problems with it. I think those articles are "too technical", liek when they get this technical: Incomplete combustion means that fuel residues can condense on cylinder walls, contaminate engine oil and clog spark plugs

I don't believe it one bit.

How does "Incomplete combustion" happen when your car is idling? 30 seconds of idling? That's not that safe for the engine. I wait until the needle passes 1/4 mark above C to start driving.

Wouldn't the lubricants and oils etc be cold in cold weather, and to start it up and let it idle for 30 seconds? That wouldn't be enough time would it?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by yogi
u can program the remote start to run 12, 24 or even 60 minutes....
Actually it can be set anywhere betwen 1-60 minutes. I typically have all mine set to 20. Althouh Im usually in my car well before that.

--Don
Old 11-05-2004, 07:11 AM

my answer:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=79

my "misinformation" :
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=77

warming car by idling is very bad I have learned this by several very knowledgeable mechanics/engineers.

It can be argued either way till we are both blue in the face...I wont even start there.

Funny though how more and more car Manufacturers are selling their cars With remote start. GM for example. Secondly almost every dealership has it available upon purchase of your car...marketing? Yes to make the extra money. BUT why would someone sell you a car with something in it that will cause more harm than good, when they are the ones that need to fix it. Ive been "warming up" my cars for the past 15yrs, never once had a problem.

--Don
Old 11-05-2004, 09:11 AM

Actually it can be set anywhere betwen 1-60 minutes. I typically have all mine set to 20. Althouh Im usually in my car well before that.

--Don
i was not aware of that...hmm...i only used DEI product and if i`m not mistaken they can only be set in 12, 24, 60 minute modes. I don't know about other products...
Old 11-05-2004, 11:00 AM

i was not aware of that...hmm...i only used DEI product and if i`m not mistaken they can only be set in 12, 24, 60 minute modes. I don't know about other products...

Im referring to DEI products...they can all be set to 1-60 minutes using the Bitwriter...Just like siren length can be set to 1sec-3mins.

--Don
Old 11-05-2004, 12:11 PM

Im referring to DEI products...they can all be set to 1-60 minutes using the Bitwriter...Just like siren length can be set to 1sec-3mins.

--Don
I forgot about the Bitwriter...i did not have a chance of playing with one either(i don't need one for now)...for the basic instalations that i do i don't have a need to spend that much $$$ at snap-on for know(need other crap), so i`ll stay with 24min run time for now ...hehe....
Old 11-05-2004, 01:23 PM

I forgot about the Bitwriter...i did not have a chance of playing with one either(i don't need one for now)...for the basic instalations that i do i don't have a need to spend that much $$$ at snap-on for know(need other crap), so i`ll stay with 24min run time for now ...hehe....

Snap On?? Ill take it you havent been installing them too long correct? The Bitwriter comes from DEI, noone else. It has saved me a Ton of time programming options for people so it does turn out worth it.

--Don
Old 11-05-2004, 02:07 PM

i know that Bitwriter comes from DEI....but from what i know our snap-on guy has one too.........i might be mistaken but that is what i hear......and yea.....i havne't been installing them for a while...just over 6 months(so almost experience compering to other people)