Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

System Design: Sound vs Appearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:26 PM

System Design: Sound vs Appearance

I recently have changed out my system and have been faced with a dilemma. I am currently running the following:
Pioneer AVIC-N1
MTX Sledgehammer Loaded Box w/ 2- 12" 9500 series woofers
MTX Thunder 1500.1 Amp
MTX Thunder 564 Amp
DEI 50 Farad Digital Cap
Optima Red Top
0 Gauge Wiring
Stinger RCAs

The first day I got this system I installed everything, had the box right up against the trunk latch with the amps behind the box and everything sounded great. The box slammed and was more bass then I could expect. Since that time I have customized my trunk to look like the following.

I really like the look of this setup but the problem is when I moved the box further from the front of the trunk and walled in the sides and area surrounding the box it cut about 45-50% of the bass from getting into the cabin. I have tried to hollow out the sides next to the box underneath the carpet and that helped a little but still not the same as it was when I just threw it in. I know that it is normally it is recommended to face the box towards the back of the trunk, but does anyone think it would hurt to try facing them towards the cabin since it is a ported box? I am trying to get input before I do this since this box is over 200lbs and hard to move I am also trying to decide if the sounds or the looks are more important. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:29 PM

theres no point of a system if it aint sounding the way u want it to
Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM

if that was my situation, i would prefer sound over looks. why get a system if you can't enjoy it?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
if that was my situation, i would prefer sound over looks. why get a system if you can't enjoy it?
True. It actually is still fairly loud, probably enough for most people, but since I did get to hear it with the empty trunk I am using this as a comparison. I appreciate the input!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I need a truck

Get better subs that require less cubic space so you can do more in the trunk
Old 09-23-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
That's one of the key reasons that I chose my Pioneer DVC subs. They only need 1.0 cu/ft each, which made for a really nice box and sub rack (pics are on my web-site).

It's definitely all about the sound. It can look like crap, but if it bangs... you'll get props. If it bangs and its pretty... then you get mad props. And if it bangs, its pretty, and is female... then you get ultimate props.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, my Arc 12's only live in 0.6 cu/ft a piece and my box 7.25" deep- I'm loving the extra trunk room and airspace
Old 09-24-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
I am not really worried about trunk space or the required cubic feet of my subwoofers. I consider the 9500 series from MTX to be a decent sub and I am not sure how changing them for something that requires a smaller box allow me to get any more bass, if anything I am pretty sure I would lose SPL in that deal. The subs are monstrous and handle 2000 watts max, 1000 RMS so I feel I have the correct equipment to finish up my system. Last time my setup was metered it hit just over 140db so it still has some bump, but not as much as before I customized the trunk. My main question was if anyone had any other input as to looks vs. sound in car audio.

Here is what the subs look like out of the box.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 AM

sound over looks any day.you also want to keep in mind that the smaller the box the punchier the bass,the larger the deeeeper the bass. you might try tweakin it a little play with the freq. OH those of you who said get better subs that in some instances is a matter of opinion check sound domain the compare this to a JL & recomended the mtx 9500 over the W6 for a couple of reasons #1 price. go check it out you would be surprised at what they have to say but everything has its +++ & ---
Old 09-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by stormbringer03
sound over looks any day.you also want to keep in mind that the smaller the box the punchier the bass,the larger the deeeeper the bass. you might try tweakin it a little play with the freq. OH those of you who said get better subs that in some instances is a matter of opinion check sound domain the compare this to a JL & recomended the mtx 9500 over the W6 for a couple of reasons #1 price. go check it out you would be surprised at what they have to say but everything has its +++ & ---
Good advice man.. The frequency actually is seeming to help me dial it in and get the bass back to where it was.. I am very happy with the 9500's and they seem so be a a great woofer.. You are right they do compare it with the W7.. Here are some of the shots I could find.. I know there is also stats comparing the two..
Old 09-24-2004, 01:15 PM

you can also trick the sub thinking it's in a larger box by using some polyfill
Old 09-24-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
you can also trick the sub thinking it's in a larger box by using some polyfill
I did that in my last system and it seemed to work great! But in this system I am using a box made and tuned by MTX at 38hz, ported directly to the specs of the subwoofer, so the speakerbox shouldnt be my problem..
Old 09-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you def dont need 'better subs', but the position on the subs in the trunk itself have alot to do with bass response in a trunked vehicle

it may just be that this particular setup may not be the most ideal for this car
Old 09-24-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
you def dont need 'better subs', but the position on the subs in the trunk itself have alot to do with bass response in a trunked vehicle

it may just be that this particular setup may not be the most ideal for this car
That is the only thing I can think of, it is crazy thought that moving the speakerbox only about 8 inches back can make such a large difference.. Thanks again though for the input..
Old 09-25-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chitwista
I recently have changed out my system and have been faced with a dilemma. I am currently running the following:
Pioneer AVIC-N1
MTX Sledgehammer Loaded Box w/ 2- 12" 9500 series woofers
MTX Thunder 1500.1 Amp
MTX Thunder 564 Amp
DEI 50 Farad Digital Cap
Optima Red Top
0 Gauge Wiring
Stinger RCAs

The first day I got this system I installed everything, had the box right up against the trunk latch with the amps behind the box and everything sounded great. The box slammed and was more bass then I could expect. Since that time I have customized my trunk to look like the following.

I really like the look of this setup but the problem is when I moved the box further from the front of the trunk and walled in the sides and area surrounding the box it cut about 45-50% of the bass from getting into the cabin. I have tried to hollow out the sides next to the box underneath the carpet and that helped a little but still not the same as it was when I just threw it in. I know that it is normally it is recommended to face the box towards the back of the trunk, but does anyone think it would hurt to try facing them towards the cabin since it is a ported box? I am trying to get input before I do this since this box is over 200lbs and hard to move I am also trying to decide if the sounds or the looks are more important. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks for your help in advance!

Well you could always run the ports up through the rear deck. That should help dramatically, especially if your having a hard time getting the sound to come into the cabin. Just make sure that the ports remain the same length as they are right now & the tuning frequency should remain the same if not very close.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:12 PM

everyone loves a clean looking system...but everyone forgets what it looks like when the dbs are way up there too...so sound over looks imho