Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need some help with a sub and amp...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 03:11 PM
DrX

Need some help with a sub and amp...

Right now I have an Alpine 7893 hu and JL xr650s front and rear just on the hus internal amp. It sounds great but I want to add a sub. I don't want the thing to crush or anything, just some filler bass to pick up where the speaker's mid-bass leaves off.

I was thinking a 10" jl sub in a sealed box, powered by a jl 250w amp. How does this sound?

Also, since this box isn't going to be very big, how do you think I should secure it in the trunk? I don't want it flying around back there.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That would be fine....although if you are doing a single sealed sub I'd go for a 12" for a little more bottom end.....

Your local Home Depot has a variety of L brackets you can use to bolt the box down....
Old 03-18-2004, 03:49 PM

where do you put the lbrackets? my box keeps moving around and i can only seem to put the l brackets in the carpet and they have fallen off.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:54 PM
DrX

hmmm...I was just looking on JLs site and I found this stealthbox with a 10" already in it. Anyone use one of these? How do they sound?

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/maxima.html
Old 03-18-2004, 06:24 PM

I just purchased a stealth box. Will let you know once I have it installed and how it sounds.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
where do you put the lbrackets? my box keeps moving around and i can only seem to put the l brackets in the carpet and they have fallen off.
I know of some 4th gen/5th geners using a piece of wood /mdf at least 3/4 in thick ....the length of the trunk from wheelwell to wheelwell (approx 30+ inches) ran under carpet/trunk mat.....so you then position front to middle of box over that
and use L brackets to secure box to board and the weight of it should be enough from having any slidding probs.....

that board actually helps level you box at a nice position.......whereas without it its on a slight incline....

I myself have to work on that after i build my custom box for my 12"....
Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 PM
DrX

Originally Posted by manincognito
I just purchased a stealth box. Will let you know once I have it installed and how it sounds.
Can I ask where you got it from and how much? Also, what amp are you going to run with it?

Definitely post up the results.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
I know of some 4th gen/5th geners using a piece of wood /mdf at least 3/4 in thick ....the length of the trunk from wheelwell to wheelwell (approx 30+ inches) ran under carpet/trunk mat.....so you then position front to middle of box over that
and use L brackets to secure box to board and the weight of it should be enough from having any slidding probs.....

that board actually helps level you box at a nice position.......whereas without it its on a slight incline....

hmm... i cant stand how my trunk is not level. so how wide would the mdf have to be? because wouldnt i only want it to be about 1/2 as wide as the box so it will make it even with the floor and level?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:04 AM

i think a 4" X 3?" 1/2" (or3/4") MDF will do
Old 03-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[SIZE=5]
Originally Posted by manincognito
[FONT=Arial Black]

I was wondering if u had installed the jl stealth box and what you think of it
if you can give me any info about it like how much it costs and what kind of amp your powering it with
thanx
Old 03-28-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max

after you build the custom box?

don't you mean after I build it? which is already in ur car