Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Finished IZZYS96SE's box this morning and installed it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:48 AM

I was just joking about the expectations. Very clean, looks good.

Did you calculate it as a slot or as a square port?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
I was just joking about the expectations. Very clean, looks good.

Did you calculate it as a slot or as a square port?

i calculated it as a slot.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:33 PM

thanks for the link
Old 03-22-2004, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
thanks for the link

no prob
Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where do you get the carpet from?
Old 03-22-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
where do you get the carpet from?

www.partsexpress.com
Old 03-24-2004, 11:00 AM

FYI. A port is considered slotted if it is using an existing wall of the enclosure as a part of the port. So you should only be using 3 pieces of wood extra to create the port. The remaining side of the port will be the side, top, or bottom of the enclosure.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:50 PM

FYI. A port is considered slotted if it is using an existing wall of the enclosure as a part of the port. So you should only be using 3 pieces of wood extra to create the port. The remaining side of the port will be the side, top, or bottom of the enclosure.

FYI. You are wrong Maxima Dan. A slot port is one in which the length and width are in correct proportion as to minimize port turbulance. the type of slot port that you mention is a special case of a SLOT port in which the pieces of the box are used as part of the port. just because my slot port didnt use a part of the wall, top or bottom, does not mean that it is not a slot port. i don't know where you get your information from, but you are wrong...in any even, the port that you mention is normally referred to as a transmission line.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by friendhasmax
FYI. You are wrong Maxima Dan. A slot port is one in which the length and width are in correct proportion as to minimize port turbulance. the type of slot port that you mention is a special case of a SLOT port in which the pieces of the box are used as part of the port. just because my slot port didnt use a part of the wall, top or bottom, does not mean that it is not a slot port. i don't know where you get your information from, but you are wrong...in any even, the port that you mention is normally referred to as a transmission line.

Port area and length determine the max air speed of the port. Doesn't matter the shape of the port, although flared ports will produce less turbulance than sharp edged ports. Thereby allowing the use of a smaller dia port than would otherwise be used. The port length calculator you used is applying an end correction factor making the effective length of the port longer than the actual length. Those calculators are meant to get you in the ballpark anyway. To get the correct tuning frequency you need to measure, cut, and measure again.

BTW a TL is a non-ressonant enclosure that combines the rear energy of the woofer with the front energy of the cone.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:30 PM

Port area and length determine the max air speed of the port. Doesn't matter the shape of the port, although flared ports will produce less turbulance than sharp edged ports. Thereby allowing the use of a smaller dia port than would otherwise be used. The port length calculator you used is applying an end correction factor making the effective length of the port longer than the actual length. Those calculators are meant to get you in the ballpark anyway. To get the correct tuning frequency you need to measure, cut, and measure again.

BTW a TL is a non-ressonant enclosure that combines the rear energy of the woofer with the front energy of the cone.

"BTW a TL is a non-ressonant enclosure that combines the rear energy of the woofer with the front energy of the cone"

duh, thats the purpose of any port!! and i know abot the end correction factor...and it makes a very little difference on tuning frquency anyway.....just let it be man, ur just wasting ur time here
Old 03-29-2004, 10:11 PM

Looks nice man, thats a damn good install
Old 03-30-2004, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Looks nice man, thats a damn good install
thanks....go check out the one i did for manny
Old 03-30-2004, 05:45 AM

thanks....go check out the one i did for manny
One step ahead of you I already did, just didnt leave a comment, both look sick though
Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Still Getting Hits?? Your Going To Be Famous!! Hahahaha...
Old 03-30-2004, 09:11 AM

"BTW a TL is a non-ressonant enclosure that combines the rear energy of the woofer with the front energy of the cone"

duh, thats the purpose of any port!! and i know abot the end correction factor...and it makes a very little difference on tuning frquency anyway.....just let it be man, ur just wasting ur time here
No, it's not the purpose of any port! A vented enclosure uses resonance, hence the tuning frequency, to contribute to the sound. A TL passes the rear wave of the woofer through a vent such that it is back in phase with the front.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:17 PM

No, it's not the purpose of any port! A vented enclosure uses resonance, hence the tuning frequency, to contribute to the sound. A TL passes the rear wave of the woofer through a vent such that it is back in phase with the front.

ur so correct...my appologies..i just skimmed through my book (great sound stereo speaker manual)...im sorry