Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Central Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Central Lock Problems

The power door locks in my 93 maxima no longer work. Neither the keypad or the lock button produces any noticable effect. However if you try to operate the locks manually they pop back up as soon as you take your finger off. You can feel the solenoid trying to push them back up if you hold them down.
My first thought was a relay, but I haven't been able to locate one that controls the locks although I assume it must be present somewere.
If anyone can shed any light on this problem or simply tell me the location of the lock relay I'd really appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by waffqle
The power door locks in my 93 maxima no longer work. Neither the keypad or the lock button produces any noticable effect. However if you try to operate the locks manually they pop back up as soon as you take your finger off. You can feel the solenoid trying to push them back up if you hold them down.
My first thought was a relay, but I haven't been able to locate one that controls the locks although I assume it must be present somewere.
If anyone can shed any light on this problem or simply tell me the location of the lock relay I'd really appreciate it.
There are two relay box under the hood. Both are by the battery - one at the front (under the washer tank if you have ABS) and another one on the left side.
I'm not sure where power locks relay is but it (control module, not relay exactly) used to be under the driver's seat for maxima through 1988.

Talking of your problem - it might ahve something to do with a safety feature (doors unlock when you try to lock 'em with running engine and if door is open). Just a thought.

How did it happen? did you do any work on a car just before it happened?

1. Also I would check connections on a driver's door controls.
2. Check links under the driver's door panel (actuator might not go all the way down and it will cause locks to open).
3. Try to open RH door with a key and start a car - see what happens with locks.
4. If you got a GXE - try outside door panel to open/lock doors.

It is really hard to say what's wrong without looking at.
Hope this helps.

BTW, why didn't you post this question under 3d generation section?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Talking of your problem - it might ahve something to do with a safety feature (doors unlock when you try to lock 'em with running engine and if door is open). Just a thought.
It may be a safety thing that has malfunctioned, although I should note that it does this regardless of whether the doors are open or the engine is running.
How did it happen? did you do any work on a car just before it happened?
I purchased the car used and it had this problem when I bought it.
3. Try to open RH door with a key and start a car - see what happens with locks.
Doing this doesn't seem to effect the locks and if I attempt to lock them after doing this I get the same result.
4. If you got a GXE - try outside door panel to open/lock doors.
I tryed the outside panel but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, I noticed last night that when I attempt to use the switch for the power locks I can hear 2 clicks coming from in the dash (sounds like it's behind the base of the steering column). It clicks once as soon as I press the switch and again about a second later. I'm not sure how important that is, but I figured I'd mention it.

I'll have to open it up and check the actuator and and the connections you mentioned this evening after work. Thanks a lot for your help. I've got some direction now, where as before I was mostly just poking around aimlessly.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:57 PM

click you hear under the dash is a timing control unit (for power locks) - it might be the problem as well. I don't know the way to test, sorry.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:22 AM
STFU n00b!

for the 91-94 Maximas that have door lock problems, about 90% of the time it's the door lock timer.

if you're good with a soldering iron, you can fix it yourself.. if not, I do it as a service for $35, including return shipping. PM or email me ( matt@mattblehm.com ) for more info