Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Viper remote start-key needed under dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 09:38 AM

Viper remote start-key needed under dash?

I went to get a price on the remote start for my 2k2 and they told me that they need 1 key to go under the dash because of the chip in the key. Its some extra part that it plugs into. Is this really the case???
Old 12-02-2003, 11:33 AM
jmax

Yes, therefore everyone who has had one of these installed knows that there is a free car with key when they see the viper sticker.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:04 PM

Thanks - too bad I have to get another key programed at the dealersh*t.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes you do need to hide a key in the dash if you want remote start on your car. One thing you can do if you are worried about someone taking the key out of the dash and stealing your car is grind down the teeth on the key you put in your dash or break the key in half or something to make the key pretty much useless. The only problem with this is that if you ever need to get another key programmed for any reason, you are going to have to take the key out of the dash and replace it seeing as it will be useless after new keys are programmed.

-Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 02:29 PM
jmax

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
Yes you do need to hide a key in the dash if you want remote start on your car. One thing you can do if you are worried about someone taking the key out of the dash and stealing your car is grind down the teeth on the key you put in your dash or break the key in half or something to make the key pretty much useless. The only problem with this is that if you ever need to get another key programmed for any reason, you are going to have to take the key out of the dash and replace it seeing as it will be useless after new keys are programmed.

-Steve
If you have the chip under the dash a screwdriver can start the car. Just like any other car without the NAVS system.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jmax
If you have the chip under the dash a screwdriver can start the car. Just like any other car without the NAVS system.

I know, I was just saying something you could do if your only concern is that there is a working key in the car. Just throwin stuff out there.

-Steve
Old 12-03-2003, 06:57 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Not at all true. The immobilzor chip is Only activated during remote start. Any other time the key will not be read. Also because someone has a Viper sticker on their car doesnt always mean they have remote start. Its also a decent amount of work to get to the key, remove it from the box, then bypass the ignition kill then start and drive away with the car.

--Don
Old 12-03-2003, 07:20 AM
jmax

A little bit of work but I think anyone with skills could do it all in 5 - 15 minutes. Clip ground, open door, remove accessory key from transponder box, remove viper, band aid ground, start new car. Pretty simple. All the cars with the goofy antenna likely have the key under the dash. If you can find the key you can probably find the kill switch for the alarm and do the whole thing faster. Other than that most pro's know the vehicles in their area. They do this stuff several times a day. They watch the owners remote start several times a week. Just another reason remote start is a bad idea.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:24 AM

A little bit of work but I think anyone with skills could do it all in 5 - 15 minutes. Clip ground, open door, remove accessory key from transponder box, remove viper, band aid ground, start new car. Pretty simple. All the cars with the goofy antenna likely have the key under the dash. Other than that most pro's know the vehicles in their area. They watch the owners remote start several times a week. Just another reason remote start is a bad idea.

A little bit of work and 5-15mins of time anyone with a bit of skills can start ANY car, regardless of a key being under the dash. This doesnt make remote start a bad thing. A tow truck can take the car away is a minute or so. So this still makes remote start a bad idea too??

--Don
Old 12-03-2003, 09:03 AM
jmax

With the nissan imobilizer it is extremely difficult to start the engine without the chipped key near the ignition. Regardless of skill level. But with the chipped key under the dash it is childs play. My factory key somehow reset last week and trust me the engine won't run without the chip. Unless you install a new PCM, you don't have a fuel pump, injector pulse, etc. But most theives don't carry those in their back pocket. With remote start you are giving the thief the one thing they really need to make it look like it is their own car.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM

Nowadays, Nissan is not the only one who makes cars with chipped keys (immobilizers). Which means, such a dilema will arise in front of drivers of other cars (hondas, toyotas, etc.) who consider installing an RS system.

It seems to me people are just trying to add extra complexity by installing remote start, no?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:56 PM

you shouldn't have to keep your spare key in the car, i have remote start on my civic, its also equiped with an immobilizer system. i used something called "transponder bypass", its a device that mimmicks the transponder in the key, so the car thinks that the key is present.
the only thing i can think of is that there isn't one available for nissans, yet.
i'll find out tomorrow if there is, for anyone that is interested.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by slick
you shouldn't have to keep your spare key in the car, i have remote start on my civic, its also equiped with an immobilizer system. i used something called "transponder bypass", its a device that mimmicks the transponder in the key, so the car thinks that the key is present.
the only thing i can think of is that there isn't one available for nissans, yet.
i'll find out tomorrow if there is, for anyone that is interested.

You are talking about the 555H, this is made for the Hondas without losing the key. It can autolearn their code. There is not one yet available from DEI for Nissans.

--Don
Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM

okay, i guess i dont need to find out tomorrow then
that kind of sucks, i really hope they come out with one, i might "inherit" the maxima, if so, i need to install my remote start in it.