Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Custom Door Panels or Grills?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:02 AM

Custom Door Panels or Grills?

I guess my thread got eaten by the angry server monster. To summarize again:

Has anyone made custom door panels or custom pods for their door speakers?

I'm thinking about cutting out the plastic grill out of the door panel and replacing it with a fiberglass pod which has mounts for a 6.5" mid and a 1" tweeter (component set). Basically like kick-panels for doors. It could be sealed or vented, probably vented, and could be smoothed and painted to match interior trim. The benefit would be 1) getting the tweets close to the mids for better phasing and 2) getting proper angle mount for tweets/mids for better imaging..

Any thoughts?

Obviously, I'm going to try to make this BEFORE I go hacking up my door panel
Old 11-03-2003, 07:56 PM

123456789?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

i've seen it done and it sounded and looked great, its a great idea and IMO the reasons for doing em are right...good luck!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by maxcosity
I guess my thread got eaten by the angry server monster. To summarize again:

Has anyone made custom door panels or custom pods for their door speakers?

I'm thinking about cutting out the plastic grill out of the door panel and replacing it with a fiberglass pod which has mounts for a 6.5" mid and a 1" tweeter (component set). Basically like kick-panels for doors. It could be sealed or vented, probably vented, and could be smoothed and painted to match interior trim. The benefit would be 1) getting the tweets close to the mids for better phasing and 2) getting proper angle mount for tweets/mids for better imaging..

Any thoughts?

Obviously, I'm going to try to make this BEFORE I go hacking up my door panel
I was thinking of doing this to angle out my mid for better imaging. However, I think I will just be going with conventional kick panels instead. For now I just replaced the stock door grille with a piece of vinyled MDF to mount my mid on.

Old 11-04-2003, 07:01 PM

Damn, looks nice!!

How does it stay on? Did you cut a hole in the oem grill on the door panel for the magnet/basket to stick through?
Old 11-04-2003, 07:42 PM
no more maxima...

Damn, looks nice!!

How does it stay on? Did you cut a hole in the oem grill on the door panel for the magnet/basket to stick through?

Thanks. Actually the black piece surrounding the speaker is a piece of mdf wood which has been covered in black vinyl. The original speaker grille has been totally removed. This piece of mdf uses the same screw holes that the stock grille used to attach to the door skin. The speaker it self is mounted to the mdf panel. I am going to be removing this however, as there is a lot of flex in the door skin in which the panel is mounted to, and this inturn causes for a lack in midbass responce. I want to try real kickpanels out.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:43 PM
no more maxima...

Damn, looks nice!!

Thanks. Actually the black piece surrounding the speaker is a piece of mdf wood which has been covered in black vinyl. The original speaker grille has been totally removed. This piece of mdf uses the same screw holes that the stock grille used to attach to the door skin. The speaker it self is mounted to the mdf panel. I am going to be removing this however, as there is a lot of flex in the door skin in which the panel is mounted to, and this inturn causes for a lack in midbass responce. I want to try real kickpanels out.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:59 PM

The grill is removable, eh? Damn, on the 5th gens, it is part of the lower door panel... grrrr...
Old 11-05-2003, 06:18 AM
no more maxima...

The grill is removable, eh? Damn, on the 5th gens, it is part of the lower door panel... grrrr...

Yes it is removable. I have noticed an increasing trend with the newer cars not being able to integrate aftermarket stereos as easily as before.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:52 PM

*bump*

Anyone else done anything to their doors/frontstage to improve imaging?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:39 AM

Check out fattamax he has really clean fiberglassed door's with space for two mids