Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Viper 150ESP???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 06:46 PM

Viper 150ESP???

Hi there all....

My problem is really lengthy and I will appreciate any input and suggestions on what to do.

Well, I had a viper 150HF remote start installed on my 91 nissan maxima se 5spd and it worked perfectly fine for the ~2years that it was installed with no problems. Well I felt the need to add-on a couple of 530T window modules. The install went relatively smoothly with some information I got off the forums here. However, the final function that I needed was not working which is the remote controlled up, down and vent function. I was advised to check the auxillary output off the 150HF brain and confirm that it was actually sending out the ground (i think) output that is required to control the windows by remote and it turned out there was no output coming from aux channel 2 of the brain. I had this confirmed by the local dei retailer ($25.00 charge to do that).

Well I called up DEI and they asked me to send in the brain as well as the remote. I did so by 2 day air (last friday) and called them up on monday (13th) to confirm that they had received and that everything was going smoothly. I was told they hadn't received it at the warranty dept, and that it would be looked into. I was told i would receive a call to confirm that everything was going okay. No call came. I called the next day and the lady I spoke to was very helpful but couldnt trace my package even though it had been delivered (I gave her the tracking number). She then said a replacement had been sent out to me but was returned because the address was wrong (*weird cos she confirmed the address and it was right) She then said she would send out another the next day (wednesday for me to receive on thursday). Lo and behold, Wednesday morning, UPS comes knocking on my door with 2 packages!! I gladly take them and later on open them up to check out what they are. What do you know!! 2 150ESP brains with controls and wiring and all.

I finally had the time today to open up the packages and to check out the pieces. In one pack, it had the 150ESP brain, 2 remotes, 1 12pin harness with the grounded-when-armed wire connected to a single relay, regular antenna, valet button, led with a wrong connector and a 6pin remote start harness. It also came with a 514N siren (really weird).

The second had the 150ESP brain, remotes, high range antenna, 6pin remote start harness, 5pin remote start ribbon harness connected to 4 relays, valet button, led, aux harness H2, door lock harness H4, toggle switch, and momentary push switch.

Notice that the second unit did not come with the 12pin harness and that the first unit doesnt have a lot of stuff that the second had, not to mention having only 1 relay on it. Now here is my dilemma.

I was told by the lady at dei that it is a direct plug in (the brain ) to the wires i have installed on my car already. well, when comparing the wires, I noticed that H1/3 on the box was designated as a "-ve input for remote start activation". But on my old unit, H1/3 was designated as "-ve output factory security disarm"

What now do I do? totally at a loss. I follow instructions very well hence my being able to install most things myself but when it comes to actually figuring out stuff like this that is a potential hazard, I'd rather ask first than regret later. Oh and I DID ask the local dei installer. they want no hand in it even though i have located and enabled the neutral safety, and am willing to pay for it off the record/books. Help please.

Additionally, I have downloaded AND printed all 44pages of the install guide from DEI and realised the diagrams dont even match the unit I have even though it IS a 150ESP. Totally at a loss. I hope I have given enough information to help. Thanks for all the support!!
Old 10-19-2003, 11:26 AM
You will lose

I would recommend just rewiring the new harnesses into the car, so you car check allyour wiring. All you need to do to disarm the factory alarm is send ground to one wire, you can set that up through a relay using the ignition to trigger a ground when the car is remote started.