Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Got 554t installed for $500

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:21 PM

Got 554t installed for $500

Since I'm in Houston and can't get in on the GB deal for the Hornet 554t, I got it installed locally by Executive Motoring Boutique for $500. Here's what I got for $500.

- 554t with two remotes
- Remote trunk release with the hornet remote.
- Battery backup
- Interior horn ('pain generator').

So far I'm happy with it except for couple of things.
- First, the trunk lid is not tied to the alarm so it won't go off if I poped the trunk while the alarm is ON.
- The installer didn't program the door lock to be progressive (one for driver side, second one for the rest of the door). So one push unlocked all doors. I am debating whether I should bring the car back for that. What do you guys think?
- The installer didn't put in a seperated remote start disable switch. May be some of the installers here can comment whether it is necessary (Don?)
- Using the remote is rather complicated if you do anything more than lock, unlock, and start the car. It involves a series and combinations of key which I can't remember most of the time.

Don't get me wrong. I love the alarm though.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: Got 554t installed for $500

Originally posted by oldmanmax
Since I'm in Houston and can't get in on the GB deal for the Hornet 554t, I got it installed locally by Executive Motoring Boutique for $500. Here's what I got for $500.

- 554t with two remotes
- Remote trunk release with the hornet remote.
- Battery backup
- Interior horn ('pain generator').

So far I'm happy with it except for couple of things.
- First, the trunk lid is not tied to the alarm so it won't go off if I poped the trunk while the alarm is ON.
- The installer didn't program the door lock to be progressive (one for driver side, second one for the rest of the door). So one push unlocked all doors. I am debating whether I should bring the car back for that. What do you guys think?
- The installer didn't put in a seperated remote start disable switch. May be some of the installers here can comment whether it is necessary (Don?)
- Using the remote is rather complicated if you do anything more than lock, unlock, and start the car. It involves a series and combinations of key which I can't remember most of the time.

Don't get me wrong. I love the alarm though.
When Don did my install the remote start disable was installed and yes untill you get used to the remote it is a lil complicated so, i keep going back to the book. but otherwise this is a great alarm.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:52 PM

i live in houston too. I got my viper 790xv installed for 375.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

progressive unlocking can be usefull, i have it on my maxima and im quite happy with it. It can be programmed if you have the install manual. Its very easy...open a door..turn the key on..off...press valet button a couple of times in series n' stuff..and its programmed. The shop can do it in 5 minits. As for the switch..it can be benificial if you have others work on your car or if you loan it out to others, i dont have a switch, i dont see a need to disable the remote start.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:31 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
progressive unlocking can be usefull, i have it on my maxima and im quite happy with it. It can be programmed if you have the install manual. Its very easy...open a door..turn the key on..off...press valet button a couple of times in series n' stuff..and its programmed. The shop can do it in 5 minits. As for the switch..it can be benificial if you have others work on your car or if you loan it out to others, i dont have a switch, i dont see a need to disable the remote start.
Progressive unlocking is not just a couple of programing steps.

The reason for the manual over ride switch (remote start cutoff) is so that it is not accidentally started. It is mandatory for ALL DEI dealers to install when doing the remote starts. Example: you go to Jiffy Lube to get an oil change...oil is out,filter off,etc and some kid that is on early release from high school thinks your alarm remote is cool...plays with it...presses buttons...well you get the point.

--Don