Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone want an AUX input adaptor for the Bose stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 09:43 PM

Anyone want an AUX input adaptor for the Bose stereo?

Hi!

Is anyone interested in an AUX input adaptor for the Bose stereo?

See http://www3.telus.net/cornblatt/aux_in.htm

You can play an MD player, MP3 player, XM radio, etc. directly through the Bose system without having to use an FM modulator or cassette adaptor (and it sounds much better than either of those options!)

I've got 10 of these sitting on my desk right now; if there's sufficient interest, I'll make some more...

Matt
Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 PM

If you already have a 6 disc in-dash changer, can you use the adapter to add another AUX input? I've got a 2002 SE that I'd be willing to check it out, but I only have 1 white adapter on the back of the HU, and it's only got 3 wires coming out of it (while the connector can support 12 wires total. I'm looking for something like this to use for my satellite radio. I can take a picture if you want, but it will be tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by studman
If you already have a 6 disc in-dash changer, can you use the adapter to add another AUX input? I've got a 2002 SE that I'd be willing to check it out, but I only have 1 white adapter on the back of the HU, and it's only got 3 wires coming out of it (while the connector can support 12 wires total. I'm looking for something like this to use for my satellite radio. I can take a picture if you want, but it will be tomorrow.
Hi,

I've added a picture of what I believe to be the 2002 6CD in-dash unit to http://www3.telus.net/cornblatt/nissan_stereos.htm (it's down at the bottom). It looks like Nissan eliminates the external CD changer connector option when they supply an in-dash changer, so there is no 12-pin CD changer connector (just a 16-pin white connector; don't know what that one does)

Is this the unit that you have? If not, please send a photo! It's amazing how many variations of the Bose system there are...

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2003, 12:49 PM

can we see pics of the actual unit??

thanks,

Ant
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by ny96max
can we see pics of the actual unit??
Good suggestion... I added a picture to the top of the web page at http://www3.telus.net/cornblatt/aux_in.htm. For just the picture, go to http://www3.telus.net/cornblatt/aux_adaptor.jpg

The unit is black and 2.5" x 2.5" x 1" in size. A 20" cable comes out one side (to connect to the stereo), and the other side has a pushbutton, two RCA jacks (red and white), and a connector for adding a remote pushbutton switch.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

think we can get a pinout of this?

looks like radioshack parts w/ cat5 cable and basic jumper style plugs...
Old 02-17-2003, 10:15 PM

I'd like one little detail. What voltages are sent/received on the TX/RX Data channels? If I can get that answer, I may be able to hack up the 2002-2003 BOSE units that have no Aux input wires. The Navi system wires are still in that unit.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by emCee-ig

Unfortunately, there are no radio shack parts here. I wish it was that easy.

It's not just a fancy cable with RCA jacks on one end and a nissan style plug on the other end, so I can't give you a 'pinout'.

Inside the box is a custom circuit board with 58 parts on it. This is necessary because you can't just hook up your audio source straight into the Bose; it won't sound right (I tried that first). If you want to see the PCB, let me know and I'll post a picture. In addition to the audio circuitry, there's logic to switch in and out of AUX mode at appropriate times (for example, if you push the stereo's CD button while in AUX mode, you want it to switch to playing the CD, right? Well, you need circuitry to detect when you push the CD button, and then disable the AUX audio signals)

If you want to buy the materials to make 1 of these, it would cost around $50. In quantities of 10 (which I bought); the material cost drops to something more reasonable (thanks to volume discount pricing). The custom circuit board is a necessity because it would be very inconvenient to solder 58 parts together with tiny bits of wire.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:40 PM

I'd like one little detail. What voltages are sent/received on the TX/RX Data channels? If I can get that answer, I may be able to hack up the 2002-2003 BOSE units that have no Aux input wires. The Navi system wires are still in that unit.
I saw 7.7V (or 0V) on the TX/RX data lines when using a +13.2V supply for the stereo. Your results may vary...
Old 02-24-2003, 12:54 AM

Re: Anyone want an AUX input adaptor for the Bose stereo?

Originally posted by cornblatt
Hi!

You can play an MD player, MP3 player, XM radio, etc. directly through the Bose system without having to use an FM modulator or cassette adaptor (and it sounds much better than either of those options!)

I've got 10 of these sitting on my desk right now; if there's sufficient interest, I'll make some more...

Matt
Can you build one for a 2k2 Maxima Bose with built-in Navigation? I could have sworn that there was a free adaptor exactly like the one in your pictures, when I was taking it apart last night!

The weird thing about the Navi, is that the female voice is blended in with the radio (not like AUX) and the AUX mode is only used when you place an Audio CD into the Navigation indash CD player. I don't care if I lose this feature, as long as I can plug in an Aux audio system!

Please let me know.

Thanks,
G
Old 02-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by emCee-ig

aw mang...tryin to steal the guyz biznez??? dood...he worked hard for his product and it's not that expensive...

Old 02-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

nope

not trying to steal his ...

trying to save money,

im poor

see?

=)
Old 02-24-2003, 01:00 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I have a changer, and I hacked into the R/L analog signal. It sounds great when I put any source on that line. Of course, it requires a changer Just wondering what is different about the analog signal? If I'm doing something wrong, I'll buy one of your adaptors.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=186529
Old 02-24-2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by TimW
I have a changer, and I hacked into the R/L analog signal. It sounds great when I put any source on that line. Of course, it requires a changer Just wondering what is different about the analog signal? If I'm doing something wrong, I'll buy one of your adaptors.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=186529
In your original post, you alluded to a quiet sound level when you said:
While I can get it to crank loudly, you do not want to go back to another source until the volume is back down. I plan on trying to find a line level converter to get the output back up.. I hope I can do this cleanly (sound wise).
I think what you're getting at here is that you have to crank up the volume when listening to your XM radio (relative to what you'd have the volume set at for listening to FM/CD/TAPE), and then turn it down again before you switch back to FM/CD/TAPE (so that you don't go deaf because the stereo is now at a high volume setting). I tried something similar to what you propose and that was the problem I saw. After a few ear-blastings , I decided to go for something different...

The solution I am offering doesn't have this low signal level problem. The sound is at the same level for FM, AM, CD, TAPE or AUX (provided that your source doesn't have an insanely high or low output level). I calibrated the level using the output of a Sony MDX-62 Minidisc changer (which has standard L/R line outputs).

The reason you see the low signal level is because the Bose systems use differential signals to provide better sound quality. This means that (as shown in your original posting), there are L+, L-, R+ and R- signals, rather than just L+, R+ and GND (0) as you find in an RCA cable (or in the line output of almost every other piece of consumer audio gear).

The audio signal received at the Bose stereo is taken as the difference between the + and - signals. If we use the left channel (L) for an example, then in the solution you propose, the signal seen by the Bose stereo would be:
L - 0 = L
(because you connect L+ to L+ and GND to L-)

With the CD changer (and the solution I propose, and any other differential source) you get:
L - (-L) = 2 x L

Since the Bose stereo (differential again) is expecting the 2 x L signal, and you give it half that, the volume you hear from your XM radio is lower than everything else on the Bose stereo.

The reason that they use a differential signal for the Bose system is interference rejection. This gives better sound quality because in a differential system, any noise/interference that gets picked up by the signal cable on its way to your stereo is picked up by both the L+ and L- signals. Once it gets to the Bose stereo, the interference/noise is subtracted out:
Single-ended solution: (L+noise) - 0 = L+noise
Differential solution: (L+noise) - (-L+noise) = 2L (and no noise!)

Anyway, that's the difference between the Bose signals and regular audio signals. In summary, the Bose expects differential signals, so I give it differential signals. Differential signals are required if you want the proper volume level (and better noise rejection over longer cable runs).

You asked if you're doing something wrong by hooking directly into the cable the way you are, and I can't really give an answer either way since I don't have the same year of car as you. Technically speaking, it's not the 100% correct way to do it, but that doesn't mean it won't work (and as you've shown, it seems to work). As a precaution, you might want to do some sort of DC blocking on all of your signals, since it looks like you're grounding the L- and R- signals through the RCA cable. If it's been working for a while without anything blowing up, then you're probably OK. If you want to be extra-safe, then disconnect your cable from the XM radio, turn on the stereo, and use a multimeter to check the DC voltage between each of the four audio signals (L+, L-, R+, R-) and a grounded part of the car like the cigarette lighter connector. If it's not zero, then that's bad. If it is zero, then all is good and you won't damage anything. Next time my stereo is out (which is quite regularly nowadays), I'll check this for you in more detail.

Hopefully that explains it... please let me know if you need more information!
Old 02-24-2003, 11:18 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I forgot to mention that I got a line driver to make up the diff on the volume, 4V, matches/sounds great. I will check the ground vs R/L(-) and make sure there is no voltage. Thanks

Still, I may just get one of your boxes anyway just to see the difference.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:18 AM

Re: Anyone want an AUX input adaptor for the Bose stereo?

Originally posted by cornblatt
Hi!

Matt
Let me get this straight:

This man ( Cornblatt) is offering us a cutom hand made electronic device that greatly increases the versatility of the factory Bose system, and it is a big impovement in sound over other cheaper devices, such as a cassette adapter.

He has used his talent and time to build and offer it to Max owners at a very reasonable price. He is not making mcuh if any after overhead casts. He could probably make more money per hour sewing Nike shoes in a 3rd world country.

If Bose offered them as an option, they would be very expensive.

Circuit City would charge you at least $50.00 to install it. You can install it yourself.

I don't know "Cornblatt". (What is a Cornblatt, anyway??)

But I for one certainly appreciate guys like him here putting their mechanical or electrical talent and knowledge to use for other car enthusiasts, with their reward being something other than money.

Thanks, man.
-BR
Old 03-02-2003, 08:46 AM

This unit available for 2k2 with indash Bose 6cd?

Hey Cornblatt I sent you an email in regards to your unit. I'm in the process of getting the Adelphi XM radio for the car and from your site I see that your unit will solve many issues in regards to aux inputs and volume concerns. Let us know if this unit has been developed for a 2k2 Bose HU with 6cd changer within the HU. Thanks
Old 03-02-2003, 01:43 PM

CJLax: No it won't. The Bose 6-Disc changer doesn't have the input section that his wire uses. I scrapped my Bose HU a few days ago for a Kenwood. I will tell you that the HU is the crappiest part of the Bose. My system sounds 200% better, and all I did was replace the HU. I'm still on stock Bose speakers and the Bose amp.

And for those who are interested, my HU is NOT for sale. I'm doing a project with it on the side.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:16 PM

Thanks

CJLax: No it won't. The Bose 6-Disc changer doesn't have the input section that his wire uses.
Thanks for the heads up. After reading a few of these posts I thought that Cornblatt was in the process of working one out for our units. I really don't want to purchase another HU. All I want is for a proper way to install this Adelphi XM unit in my car with the least amount of headaches. All suggestions and ideas are welcome.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:06 AM

NAVI

Any word on this working with a 2K2 Bose with Navigation? I returned my Clarion Sirius tuner because of poor sound (due to the FM Mod). If I could hook directly into the AUX, I'd be !!!!
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:24 AM

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by CJLax

Thanks for the heads up. After reading a few of these posts I thought that Cornblatt was in the process of working one out for our units. I really don't want to purchase another HU. All I want is for a proper way to install this Adelphi XM unit in my car with the least amount of headaches. All suggestions and ideas are welcome.
Sorry, I can't do anything for the 5th gen. Maxima 6CD unit (unless someone wants to give me a free 2002 Maxima... )
Old 03-03-2003, 03:51 PM

Re: NAVI

Originally posted by sagaynor
Any word on this working with a 2K2 Bose with Navigation? I returned my Clarion Sirius tuner because of poor sound (due to the FM Mod). If I could hook directly into the AUX, I'd be !!!!
Thanks.
I THINK cornblatt's mod will work with the Navi... When I installed my Sirrius, I could have sworn that it had the extra input exactly like in cornblatt's webpage pictures. Hack it open, look on the back of the unit & check to see if you can locate an adaptor identical to the pictures on his webpage...

Then let me know.

G
Old 03-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cornblatt do you have any units left and how much would you let one of them go for? I'm sirius about buying one off of you (corny pun )
Old 03-19-2003, 07:37 AM

2 left, special price!

Originally posted by gotmaxwiltravel
Cornblatt do you have any units left and how much would you let one of them go for? I'm sirius about buying one off of you (corny pun )
Hi,

I've only got two left. I don't plan on making any more (it ended up costing me more than I expected, and being way too much work!).

All of the ones I've sold so far have gone to people with '97 or '98 maximas, except for one (which went to a '95). I've got a '98 myself, so I know that it works with the 97-98 Bose stereo.

The person with the '95 was not having much success with it (last time I heard from him), so I have a feeling that the 95-96 Bose units do not support the AUX feature. Of course, he will get his money back if it doesn't work out.

To make things easier for me, I am only interested in selling the remaining two units to people with the 97 or 98 Bose stereo shown below:

If you have a 97 or 98 and you are confident in your installation skills (it's not that hard for anyone who's installed car audio before), I'll let them go for $40 each including air mail shipping (vs original price of $44 shipped).

Please e-mail or PM me if you're interested!
Old 03-22-2003, 08:37 AM

Just to let everyone know I got mine yesterday and it works great! It was shipped last Saturday airmail and arrived yesterday (Friday). Thanks so much for making these, they are just what I needed!
Old 11-18-2003, 03:52 PM

still interested !
Old 03-08-2004, 10:26 PM

Time to ressurect this from the dead

Any1 figured out how to make these suckers yet? I assume the guy doesnt make them anymore.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:58 PM

Crap..you just reminded me...I bought all the parts for this and never built it.....and now I can't find the schematics.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:05 PM

Anyone have these files??
Circuit board layout:
MattsNissanBoseAuxInput_PCB.zip

Schematic:
Matts_Nissan_Bose_Aux_Input_Circuit.pdf

Bill of materials:
Matts_Nissan_Bose_Aux_Input_Circuit.txt

Please? =)
Old 03-09-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
Time to ressurect this from the dead

Any1 figured out how to make these suckers yet? I assume the guy doesnt make them anymore.
Yes, that's correct - I don't make them anymore.

I sold my maxima two weeks ago, so I definitely can't make them anymore as there is no way for me to test them out now that the car is gone.

I did some investigation earlier in the year to see if it was worth producing another batch of these. I thought it would be worthwhile if there were enough potential buyers (i.e. if it worked on a wide range of cars).

Unfortunately, it looks like it will only work with the 1997 and 1998 maxima bose stereo that I used to own. Based on the returns I've gotten from people I've sold it to, it appears that it won't work with the 95-96 bose, and it won't work in the 99+ models, and it won't work in the Infiniti G35. Of course, these are based only on single tests in a single vehicle of a given type, so the possibility for installation errors may exist (but it's not too likely).

There just aren't enough people out there with 97 and 98 bose stereos who want this particular product for it to be worth the effort to produce more (due to the labor-intensive assembly process).

Now, you could make it yourself, but then the cost of the circuit board is not reasonable in small quantities, and you end up paying shipping on all of the components ($8 to ship $0.10 worth of parts). I might be able to put together a 'do it yourself' kit (for 97-98 maxima owners only), with the circuit board and all of the parts, and you'd just have to solder it together... but there would need to be at least 15 people interested in this for me to order circuit boards. I don't think it's likely that that would happen (but you could prove me wrong!).

Old 03-09-2004, 01:57 PM

i doubt that i will be able to do this myself.....is this the ONLY way to connect say XM radio to Bose unit (not considering through the radio) ?

this is ridiculous that those adaptors are not produced !
i don't know how much u used to sell them for, but i guess i would spend around $50 for that thing.

There is this website that i was told about once at Tweater store, they do all kind of adapters for cars, but at the time there was none for Maxima.....maybe they got them now...which i hardly doubt.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by cornblatt
Yes, that's correct - I don't make them anymore....
Can you do me a big favor and send me those PDF files? I already bought all the parts for it and now they are just sitting around!
If I dig through enough papers I can probabaly find the printouts, but any help here would be greatly appreciated!

If you prefer, you can email me them madchef@dublin.com

Thanks again
Old 03-10-2004, 07:18 PM

also, any diagrams for the 01 max would also be appreciated

I seriously cant believe that even the new Altimas have this adapter made for their bose systems and the hondas acuras, Audis! and not us!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:00 PM
jmax

Another source of OEM aux adapters is soundgate.com. They have them for some cars, but not all.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jmax
Another source of OEM aux adapters is soundgate.com. They have them for some cars, but not all.

it looks like they do have them (part # ALNS1) and i was told that it should work just fine as an AUX input adapter. the question is where to buy....cause they are out of stock everywhere.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:27 PM

don't waste your time trying to find that product, they don't make it anymore and they are out of stock everywhere. the last one was actually sold today.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:12 PM

wow.So what should I do? Whyd they stop making thses things. I cant understand why all the other crappy cars have thousands of them everywhere except for us!

Can any1 even get a schematic or something or tell me how I can figure it out myself. I have to do this!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:33 PM

I called Soundgate directly and was told that the ANLS1 is being updated for the new model cars and would be available again in a few months. Has anybody figured out if the ALSN1 will allow hooking up XM to the Bose radio in a 2002?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:03 PM

do you have any more of these input adapters or know where i can get one. Please someone reply to jjmaxin@hotmail.com thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 02:04 PM

do you have any more of these input adapters or know where i can get one. Please someone reply to jjmaxin@hotmail.com thanks
I have a 98 se

Quick Reply: Anyone want an AUX input adaptor for the Bose stereo?