Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Types of Music

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Types of Music

I have found this forum to be pretty helpful in dealing with equipment, installs, and level matching. However, I have never seen anything addressed on the speakers and types of music that they play well. Understandably, this is very opinion based, and pretty subjective as to which speaker sounds the best. I was wondering what components everyone felt played certain types of music well. I feel my Focals do a pretty good job, and only distort a tiny bit at the very top end of the volume. The criteria for a good sounding component speaker is ability to play music at pretty high volumes, not distort, have good clarity, and the tweeter not to be "tinny". Here are the types of music played ----> Nickelback, Korn, Bush, Disturbed, Deftones & Godsmack. I realize these types of music are distorted already to some extent. It's the job of the speaker to reproduce these sounds as accurately as possible regardless of volume level. Please include speaker rms's.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:03 AM

Re: Types of Music

Damn that's a hard ? for anyone to answer, this would be a debate that could go till the freaking org server locks up for the first time ever!!! I personally just use a pair of Event Bas 20/20 Professional Monitors with no eq. I play a couple of songs I have come to memorise then try to get as close to that sound in my car. As for just what speakers recreate different genras of music best you would have to compare that with the same amps and no Eq. But then again the amps could cater to certain speakers better than others. I got Infinity Kappa Perfects and they work great for what I listen to. I think Dyna Audio make some of the best, most acurate speakers out there. But lets see you get more than say 40% to agree on the same speakers I'd be surprised. Oh by the way you mean component sets or coaxials?
Old 10-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Types of Music

yes, I meant component sets. I realize it's a complicated decision. Also things like amps, hu's, and subs were taken out of the equation, because then you'd be essentially be building a system. I'd like to isolate the music to the speakers I feel play the music the best (components).
Old 10-11-2002, 05:00 AM

I can only offer a comparison of factory verses Rockford Fosgate speakers. The first thing I replaced in the car were the 4 speakers. As an avid Korn fan I can tell you that they sound wonderful!
Old 10-11-2002, 11:13 AM

A good systemn can handle diversity

I listen to everything from Blood for Blood, Rage Against the Machine, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, to James Brown, George Thorogood, Louis Armstrong, to Mozart, JS Bach, Rosini, to Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, Snoop, Dre, and DMX...and occasionally I play merengue too Y no hablo espanol!

My system pumps, bumps, and hits, on all levels...clearly, cleanly, and VERY LOUDLY!!!