Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Major HU problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 08:38 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Major HU problem....

Hey guys, got a question... Have any of you ever seen ONE set of preouts go bad?!?! While working on a car I noticed that there is MAJOR noise coming out of only one set of preouts. The other perfectly fine. About a week prior to working on this car, there was a shorting problem, power ant. was being grounded somewhere (first time I touched the car). That problem was fixed, but then this arose. I consider myself to be very knowledgeable in this field (as of years of experience) but I am stumped. Any feedback?

--Don
Old 07-22-2002, 08:49 PM

I had a deck do the same thing...i had it repaired. I had it happen twice by me being into much of a hurry the power ant and the line for one of the preouts could have fried an trace or now have somehow touched each other on the board itself... I just took it into a place that repairs the manufacters equipment and they say its a quick fix. think it cost me 70 bucks. Of course you could be like me open it up and look over the board yourself ... if your good at soldering your golden
Old 07-23-2002, 07:29 AM
Redlinemax Owner

I also had a similar problem with a sony radio. the wires in that car grounded 1 set of preouts on the radio out. It may have been that the wiring in the car was grounded somewhere which killed the set of preouts. what i think though is that because the antenna grounded which is kind of hard to do then it must've been spaghetti when you pulled that radio out. and the connections weren't done right because you don't ground out an antenna easily. If the antenna kept touching and grounding it was liable to fry something. I'm surprised that radio is still getting sound. I would either let the manufacture fix it, but if its not an expesive radio replace it. Its not worth the hassle
Old 07-23-2002, 08:09 AM
jmax

In my own vehicle's I have not had trouble with outputs. But my wife seems to be able to fry just about anything. This is probably why I have been so tentative about installing a 10" Brahma and ARC1500DR in her car. She has had RCA's go bad in her Kenwood, which she replaced with a Clarion. The clarion has had a real issue with it's CD pickup, and recently it's pre-outs blew, and blew the old amp that was connected to it. I should have checked her wiring when she put the amp in, but I didn't and she had an 80 amp fuse where a 25 amp fuse should have been. The Kenwood has the oddity that one front and one rear RCA went bad. Opposite channels, so it still has one left and one right, one front and one rear output.

Old 07-23-2002, 08:12 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by jmax
In my own vehicle's I have not had trouble with outputs. But my wife seems to be able to fry just about anything. This is probably why I have been so tentative about installing a 10" Brahma and ARC1500DR in her car. She has had RCA's go bad in her Kenwood, which she replaced with a Clarion. The clarion has had a real issue with it's CD pickup, and recently it's pre-outs blew, and blew the old amp that was connected to it. I should have checked her wiring when she put the amp in, but I didn't and she had an 80 amp fuse where a 25 amp fuse should have been. The Kenwood has the oddity that one front and one rear RCA went bad. Opposite channels, so it still has one left and one right, one front and one rear output.

I guess this problem is more common that I had thought.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

I guess this problem is more common that I had thought.
So which one blew? The preout with all the static and pop or the set with lil sound/less static?

btw- Don, I skipped work today. Pretty bummed