Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Audio noobie here, help me out please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 05:39 AM

Audio noobie here, help me out please.

Do you know any good sites where i can start learning the basics to car stereos? My cousin just gave me his old system which i will install into my car. Heres what i got:

-AIWA CDC-X116, which was on the car when i got it.

He gave me this:
-JL 10W6 in sealed box
-Precision Power PC275 amp
-MTX RT-X01A(?) crossover

He also gave me all the wires for that stuff but i still need wires to go from the HU to the trunk. I researched the HU i have and doesnt seem that great nor does it seam to have RCA outs, can i still have this stuff installed? What kinda prices am i looking at to install this stuff? thanks.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Audio noobie here, help me out please.

Originally posted by _DRU_
Do you know any good sites where i can start learning the basics to car stereos? My cousin just gave me his old system which i will install into my car. Heres what i got:

-AIWA CDC-X116, which was on the car when i got it.

He gave me this:
-JL 10W6 in sealed box
-Precision Power PC275 amp
-MTX RT-X01A(?) crossover

He also gave me all the wires for that stuff but i still need wires to go from the HU to the trunk. I researched the HU i have and doesnt seem that great nor does it seam to have RCA outs, can i still have this stuff installed? What kinda prices am i looking at to install this stuff? thanks.
you have a good foundation for starters in your amp and subs..the crossover is even ok as well...I personally, would ditch the head though...look for a head that has rca outputs at least 2 bet preferably 3..sub control and hi voltage out's are nice too but not totally necessary...
you don't have to go out and buy a brand new head from the store at a tag of 500$ though...look into ebay or something like that..look into brands like alpine, kenwood..(excelon preferably) pioneer premier eclipse..you can get into an older alpine for probably 100 to 200$ off of ebay that will do the above...any for that matter.
but if it is a must, you can go to a car audio store in town and ask for a line level adapter and it will convert the speaker leads to rca's..some are better than others but all are a bad idea personally..
Old 07-17-2002, 04:15 PM

The Basics

DRU,

Here are some sites to get you started bookmark them and use the liinks off them after you've gained more knowledge

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

http://www.the12volt.com/

http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

http://www.passivecrossovers.com/

DC
Old 07-17-2002, 07:42 PM

i got them installed and they sound great, i bought a new HU some Alpine, i will get the model later, but is 45x4 priced at $190, it was the most expensive of that lineup. the installer said a ported bow would probably be 2x louder, should i do it? will i lose clarity? the next step i plan on is putting a 4 channel precision power amp. is the in the same lineup as the ones hooked to my sub, after that, i think im done. and thanks for the links Coldboot, i will start learning about what i have now.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:55 PM

i got them installed and they sound great, i bought a new HU some Alpine, i will get the model later, but is 45x4 priced at $190, it was the most expensive of that lineup. the installer said a ported bow would probably be 2x louder, should i do it? will i lose clarity? the next step i plan on is putting a 4 channel precision power amp. is the in the same lineup as the ones hooked to my sub, after that, i think im done. and thanks for the links Coldboot, i will start learning about what i have now.
glad you decided to get a new head...I think in the end, you'll be glad you did..it gives you many more options than the awai you had before...in a sense, he is right on the w6....it will gain 3db by porting it and in a car, 3db is double of that before...ex., 120 to 123 would be twice as loud to the ear...as for losing accuracy, it really depends..I have heard both ways and honestly, the w6 is better ported..if you stay to a low tuning frequency, it will be o.k....go to your local JL dealer and they have this book behind the desk that is their "secret" book..ask for the best performance setup for your w6 and they will look it up for you...JL litarally tests speakers in thousands of scenario's and log's every performance test..that is what the book is they have..the one i've seen anyways, gives output performance in db,curve response, efficiency for given test..these are done in car and in near field also..should say which app it was tested in though..If you don't have acess to this book, I can get with the jl dealer here..he lets me look up charts for jl subs all the time...think of it as the jl dictionary.....lol
can't go tomorrow but I may be able to friday got a big install going tomorrow....
Old 07-18-2002, 09:54 PM

i will probably go ported. i have the Alpine CDE 7870. i will most likely get my cousins 4 channel amp for my interior speakers. its a Precision Power 450. i can get the ported box for $50, good price? and how much am i lookin at for installation of the 4 channel amp? thanks

Originally posted by slickonetoo

glad you decided to get a new head...I think in the end, you'll be glad you did..it gives you many more options than the awai you had before...in a sense, he is right on the w6....it will gain 3db by porting it and in a car, 3db is double of that before...ex., 120 to 123 would be twice as loud to the ear...as for losing accuracy, it really depends..I have heard both ways and honestly, the w6 is better ported..if you stay to a low tuning frequency, it will be o.k....go to your local JL dealer and they have this book behind the desk that is their "secret" book..ask for the best performance setup for your w6 and they will look it up for you...JL litarally tests speakers in thousands of scenario's and log's every performance test..that is what the book is they have..the one i've seen anyways, gives output performance in db,curve response, efficiency for given test..these are done in car and in near field also..should say which app it was tested in though..If you don't have acess to this book, I can get with the jl dealer here..he lets me look up charts for jl subs all the time...think of it as the jl dictionary.....lol
can't go tomorrow but I may be able to friday got a big install going tomorrow....
Old 07-19-2002, 06:01 AM

i will probably go ported. i have the Alpine CDE 7870. i will most likely get my cousins 4 channel amp for my interior speakers. its a Precision Power 450. i can get the ported box for $50, good price? and how much am i lookin at for installation of the 4 channel amp? thanks

price would depend on a lot of things really....what have you allready done for wiring?If it is as simple as putting it in...tapping into a D block hooking up speaks and ground, 50 to 75$ probably at a respected shop but a level headed friend who knows what they are doing might do it for a 6 pack........lol