All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Quick, dirty, and somewhat cheap "HR" swap into 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Turbo 3.5

copper lines now that's different
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

No ebay flammage? I'm disappointed. They ride and handle well. Not great, but good.

Name:  20150116_192911.jpg
Views: 3397
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-18-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:03 AM
Bad *** Newb

Late pic for funsies. I forgot the balancer and chains LOL. I strapped the motor in and out and pulled the tranny up with them

Old 02-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Bad *** Newb

Utec = biggest PoS made. 100% junk. Turbo XS should commit seppuku.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Utec = biggest PoS made. 100% junk. Turbo XS should commit seppuku.
Not to argue with you but I disagree. Utec for the cost and ease of operation is pretty damn good. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever. But for the price you can't go wrong. It's not the systems fault that it's older technology. I mean here it is ten years later and still a usable system. Turbo xs kinda screwed everyone by never updating the software and abandoning the thing yea. It works for what I need on my turbo 5.5 gen.

Do you have one that you're having trouble with? I'm fairly good at using and tuning with it maybe I can help you out?
Old 02-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Mattx
Not to argue with you but I disagree. Utec for the cost and ease of operation is pretty damn good. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever. But for the price you can't go wrong. It's not the systems fault that it's older technology. I mean here it is ten years later and still a usable system. Turbo xs kinda screwed everyone by never updating the software and abandoning the thing yea. It works for what I need on my turbo 5.5 gen.

Do you have one that you're having trouble with? I'm fairly good at using and tuning with it maybe I can help you out?
Hardware is junk. ****er is going in the trash. No spark on cylinder 1. I'm using Darren's PnP harness.
Googling reveals that misfires are more common than herpes on these.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-28-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Hardware is junk. ****er is going in the trash. No spark on cylinder 1. I'm using Darren's PnP harness. Googling reveals that misfires are more common than herpes on these.
Hmmm. Could be a bad unit. Never had a no spark issue so I'm guessing if everything on the car is right which I believe it would be then maybe you have a defective unit. Unfortunately when Buying these used it happens a fair amount. I had to go thru a couple of tuner boxes before I came to the conclusion it was in the wiring harness. Someone had hacked into it so it was getting power but the o2 sensor wasn't. New wire harness problem solved. The utec itself I hadn't experienced any issues.

Just to make sure you did run a good ground? The same molex connector that has the selector wheel on it should have a wire off of it for a ground connection. If you don't ground that wire I know you can have different stuff happen.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Bad *** Newb

Just to make sure you did run a good ground? The same molex connector that has the selector wheel on it should have a wire off of it for a ground connection. If you don't ground that wire I know you can have different stuff happen.
Yeah, I grounded that pin.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Other people want to do the swap, but they're a bit shy due to some info missing. It would be great if you 5.7 guys could post the missing info.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM

I've been following the 5.7 swap stuff recently and I'm digging people's progress for sure. I don't want to change the subject too much, but I feel you on the UTEC thing. I'm new to a lot of this tuning game, and I personally haven't worked with tuning the UTEC, but the UTEC is responsible for a lot of the weird driveability problems with my car. It does its job, but it still is flawed. Cef had to bring an extra UTEC just in case my UTEC didn't work. I'll probably be looking into something better when I have some money again.

Definitely following these swaps though for more info. One day my 3.5 will kick the bucket.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Just reading back over this thread, and thought I would update.

The Utec was fine, the harness had loose contacts and wouldn't work.

I got a plug from the JY and redid the ENTIRE harness after getting this from him. It was figured out by installing the Utec in my 06 g35 for testing.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
I've been following the 5.7 swap stuff recently and I'm digging people's progress for sure. I don't want to change the subject too much, but I feel you on the UTEC thing. I'm new to a lot of this tuning game, and I personally haven't worked with tuning the UTEC, but the UTEC is responsible for a lot of the weird driveability problems with my car. It does its job, but it still is flawed. Cef had to bring an extra UTEC just in case my UTEC didn't work. I'll probably be looking into something better when I have some money again.

Definitely following these swaps though for more info. One day my 3.5 will kick the bucket.
OOOOO, now that its available you should flash the stock ecu. Drivability issues be gone!
Old 03-01-2023, 08:41 AM

I underestimated how much larger this pulley would be since it's underdriving LOL. This thing must be 6" The sentras stock pulley causes cavitation at high rpm, so it's even more oversized. It's not that big of a deal, I just cut off that little arm on the bracket.

What I did forget is that they don't use a two belt system, so it has two more ribs. 32" belt works perfect and alignment is with the belt in the middle.

So, yeah, SR20 pulley is definitely a better idea for the non-rigging crew

You'll notice a piece missing haha. The pulley is 5.5".
Attachment 20737 Attachment 20738 Attachment 20739

USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO REPLACE POWER STEERING HOSE AS IT'S JUST ONE LESS THING TO REPLACE LATER

glad I came across this one, lots of good info in this thread. I just gone done installing my alternator, power steering pump, front compressor bracket and Nisformance tensioner. I actually trimmed a small chunk off the rear cam gear cover/timing chain tensioner cover in case the belt gets too close..

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 03-01-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sory to necro and old thread, but I have to ask, what alternator pully did you use there?